The Station Fire Thread

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

so if some one starts at lake ave. what the farthest they can go?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
mattmaxon wrote:Norion just announced the south portion of the angeles is closed
Norion?
Jody Norion the forest Supervisor
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

edenooch wrote:hasnt it been closed?
The western half of the south portion only

this now closes the entire southern portion of the Angeles
AW~

Post by AW~ »

edenooch wrote:so if some one starts at lake ave. what the farthest they can go?
Not very far. The area is open to residents only. Im not sure what street that starts from. Sierra Madre trails are all closed to the east.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

edenooch wrote:so if some one starts at lake ave. what the farthest they can go?
you can't
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Jim, Castle Canyon has not burned and doesn't look likes it going to, either. Yeah!!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Dang it! All that hard work HikeUp and we did this spring on the Barley Flats trail was for naught.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Mike P wrote:Jim, Castle Canyon has not burned and doesn't look likes it going to, either. Yeah!!
Cool. Please somebody tell me that I'm wrong on the trails I've included. HAPPY to be wrong on this one. Does this mean the Sam Merrill Trail is OK? Mt. Lowe? I'm not quite sure what the eastern boundary of the fire is. I was assuming if Mt. Wilson burned, then for sure Castle Canyon burned.

Speaking of Wilson, anyone got updates on that?

I just listed trails I knew to be in the area covered by the fire. Obviously no first hand observations.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:

It's not particularly clear on the Angeles NF website. Threre's an order dtd Aug 30th announcing a closure: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/orders/ ... -09-06.pdf

Is this the area now closed?
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Mike P wrote:Jim, Castle Canyon has not burned and doesn't look likes it going to, either. Yeah!!
Cool. Please somebody tell me that I'm wrong on the trails I've included. HAPPY to be wrong on this one. Does this mean the Sam Merrill Trail is OK? Mt. Lowe? I'm not quite sure what the eastern boundary of the fire is. I was assuming if Mt. Wilson burned, then for sure Castle Canyon burned.
Speaking of Wilson, anyone got updates on that?
I just listed trails I knew to be in the area covered by the fire. Obviously no first hand observations.
From Lake and Loma Alta today, Sam Merrill APPEARS to be now shadeless (not that there was a lot of shade to begin with.) Mt Lowe also appears to be toast.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
mattmaxon wrote:

It's not particularly clear on the Angeles NF website. Threre's an order dtd Aug 30th announcing a closure: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/orders/ ... -09-06.pdf

That map is OLD news

The entire southern portion is closed from I-15 to SR 14 at a minimum
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

The Beast is dying! Hooray! Down with the Beast!

The largest, most active part of the fire is now the South EAST Claw of The Beast, threatening Chilao, Waterman, & Twin Peaks area.

I suspect they won't fu*# around this time and put this out pronto if possible

With the Martin Mars and others they could make short work of it

Here is an updated KML, the perimeter wasn't updated overnight I'll post an updated KML when the updated perimeter is available

http://mattmaxon.homeip.net/data/Fire%2 ... 090209.kml

edenooch

Post by edenooch »

maxon! some thing needs to be done. since la canada is no longer threatend i be they are saying fuck it let it burn
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

The trail to Echo and Inpiration Point is safe. The Middle Merrill on the backside near Lowe camp may be wiped out as may be the campground @ Lowe. Millard, Grand and Bear Canyon took a hard hit as did the entire Arroyo all the way through. Colby and the canyon to Red Box, gone. Red Box from what I heard got hit as did Valley Forge & West Fork. Chaleo and Charlton got burnt as did the Shortcut Fire Station and Monte Cristo Fire Station. Vetter Peak is in danger but we cleared a large area from around it last spring so it may be o.k. No word on Newcombs Ranch but there are reports it burnt as well.

Of course what's really there or gone will be known once people get back in there.
I'm heading in on October 10th whether or not the forest is open to visitors. One of my perks.

There is one report that no one will be allowed up the crest until spring because of all the damage along the highway.
The only way to get to the high country will be coming in from Wrightwood but expect the highway to be closed near Eagles Roost.
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

Any word on the status of Big Santa Anita Canyon? Sturtevant Camp? Can't find any updated links. The Pack Station hasn't updated their site since the weekend.

Anyone heard anything?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

robnokshus wrote:Any word on the status of Big Santa Anita Canyon? Sturtevant Camp? Can't find any updated links. The Pack Station hasn't updated their site since the weekend.

Anyone heard anything?
It looks like "The Beast" is making inroads toward Santa Anita Cyn

Well have to wait and see.... Thinking at the command center is they'll be lucky if they can stop it at the San Gabriel Cyn. (so I've heard on KPCC)

What can be achieved on the south flank? Right now it "appears" to be confined to the West Fork

this is a little more current than the last file I posted, no updated "official" perimeter as yet

http://pctmap.homeip.net/data2/Fire%20P ... 200902.kml

outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Richard N. wrote:No word on Newcombs Ranch but there are reports it burnt as well.
Any updates on Newcomb's?

Not sure if this is the time or place for this [again] - but going back to the thread when the Station fire started - according to the LA Times link, between the hours of 4:30 - 6:30, the fire had only grown to 20 acres... [if that is indeed accurate information]

I know, sitting here talking about this days later, in front of a computer is cheap talk - but damn, when I read 20 acres in two hours, it makes me wonder what happened - or didn't happen...

Or am I just an idiot that doesn't know how hard or impossible it would have been to stop this thing, relatively right from the start.

How much different was this fire compared to the Morris Dam fire - that one got controlled - is it not wise or correct to compare the two?

This all just sucks...
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:
mattmaxon wrote:The western half of the south portion only

That map is OLD news

The entire southern portion is closed from I-15 to SR 14 at a minimum
Wow. So even Baldy, Stockton Flat, etc? Extreme. Guess they can't take the chance of another fire starting. No resources.

I take it that Burkhart Trail, S Fork Trail, stuff out of Wrightwood, etc. are still open?

I wish they'd keep their freakin' website up to date.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

AlanK wrote:
Richard N. wrote:No word on Newcombs Ranch but there are reports it burnt as well.
Newcomb's Ranch is gone. Very sad.
http://www.sportbikers.net/forums/showt ... hp?t=19165
http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66441
http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/ind ... ic=43869.0
Dang. Just had a burger there on Aug. 22. Fire broke out on the 26th. At least I got one last burger. :(

Good news of course is that they've rebuilt before. A lot of us can remember the older, much smaller Newcomb Ranch Inn. I loved how rustic it was, and I loved how they had stumps of large trees that they used as tables. I was really sad that it burned, but what came next albeit not so cozy and rustic was still a great place to go. Let us hope that history repeats itself.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:
robnokshus wrote:Any word on the status of Big Santa Anita Canyon? Sturtevant Camp? Can't find any updated links. The Pack Station hasn't updated their site since the weekend.

Anyone heard anything?
It looks like "The Beast" is making inroads toward Santa Anita Cyn

Well have to wait and see.... Thinking at the command center is they'll be lucky if they can stop it at the San Gabriel Cyn. (so I've heard on KPCC)

What can be achieved on the south flank? Right now it "appears" to be confined to the West Fork

this is a little more current than the last file I posted, no updated "official" perimeter as yet

http://pctmap.homeip.net/data2/Fire%20P ... 200902.kml

Santa Anita Canyon has a lot of greenery. It's not as dry as the surrounding areas. Let us hope it fairs well.

Not happy to hear that Waterman, Twins, etc. are in jeopardy.

The above map looks like Charlton-Chilao has been somewhat spared? Or is that just an oddity of the MODIS system. I've heard that some USFS and CalTrans owned homes in the area are gone.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hikin_Jim wrote:I take it that Burkhart Trail, S Fork Trail, stuff out of Wrightwood, etc. are still open?

It is my "mis"-understanding the entire SOUTHERN part of the Angeles National Forest is closed

Those trails are in the southern angeles so they are closed
Hikin_Jim wrote:I wish they'd keep their freakin' website up to date.
Yup this is my pet peeve with them....
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

the only way to access the burkhart trail would be from its end at devils punchbowl......this park is also closed!!!! :evil:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

DamOTclese wrote:
AW wrote:wicked:
Oh man, look at that lovely, healthy plant. Makes me itch just looking at it!

In the hillside overlooking the Off Road Vehicle Area on Highway 39, I set out a tarp and parked right on top of it for a couple of days, rolling in the stuff without any problem.

Then in a trip to Colorado I walked through the stuff and found my immunity had been recalled. :)

East Fork Trail on the Bridge to Nowhere, Bear Canyon, dark, dense colonies of the stuff, really neat.
You're a sick, sick man. :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:I take it that Burkhart Trail, S Fork Trail, stuff out of Wrightwood, etc. are still open?
It is my "mis"-understanding the entire SOUTHERN part of the Angeles National Forest is closed.

Those trails are in the southern angeles so they are closed.
Wait, wait, wait a minute. Just exactly what counts as the "southern" part of the Angeles? I was taking "southern" literally that everything south of the Angeles Crest would be closed but everything north (that isn't otherwise closed) would be open, although the entire ACH would be closed. It seems to me that your're saying the entire ANF that lies somewhat south but very much east of Hwy 14 is closed. :shock: Please tell me that I'm wrong. :cry:

How about the SBNF portion of the San Gabs? Closed too?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I have seen no mention of a closure of anything east of the Morris Fire area.
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

That stuff makes a nice green salad! :)
AW~

Post by AW~ »

"Angeles National Forest entire eastern main body of the Angeles National Forest will be closed effective 6:00 p.m. tonight until full containment of the Station Fire"
source:http://inciweb.org/incident/1856/

"The fire has moved into the San Gabriel wilderness and has been making active runs through various drainages in the area"
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

AW wrote:"Angeles National Forest entire eastern main body of the Angeles National Forest will be closed effective 6:00 p.m. tonight until full containment of the Station Fire"
source:http://inciweb.org/incident/1856/
OK, clear enough.