Pacific Crest Trail (Cajon - Little Jimmy - Soledad)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
taktical

Post by taktical »

I read on summitpost that there is a nice camp spot on the "forested north side of this peak, just below the PCT as it passes below the north face of Burnham." Can anyone confirm the location of this camp spot or another camp spot in this vicinity? Much thanks.
Tak
taktical

Post by taktical »

I was able to locate 3 decent camp spots, about 50 yards east of the PCT/western Mt. Burnham use trail junction just below (northside) the PCT.
taktical wrote: I read on summitpost that there is a nice camp spot on the "forested north side of this peak, just below the PCT as it passes below the north face of Burnham." Can anyone confirm the location of this camp spot or another camp spot in this vicinity? Much thanks.
Tak
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice. Thanks for the info.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I was up that way on Saturday. There were several nice sites along in there.

There was even a spot right on the top of Mt. Burnham itself where one could camp. Not ideal, but doable.

HJ
Marty

Post by Marty »

Anyone know the conditions around this area? Is there still snow? Thinking about camping in Cooper Canyon April 6-7.
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

A few weeks ago, after the last "storms", I road my bike up the 39hwy and summited Williamson and dripped down to Cooper Canyon. Little snow on Williamson. Few patches-no snow in the canyons.

You shouldn't have to worry about any snow this April. The trails will be clear of snow, but I am sure you will run into deadfall.
It should be very pretty in Cooper Canyon next week, keep an eye out for those bears. I am jelly.

-fris
Marty

Post by Marty »

Awesome. Thanks dude.
tstray

Post by tstray »

I'm doing a hike this coming Sunday with a group and I was wondering if there is still snow or ice up there on that trail? We're doing a shuttle hike starting at Dawson Saddle and ending at Vincent Gap, so it will be a mess if some people are prepared with microspikes (if they're needed) and some don't have any winter hiking gear. It's been pretty warm this week so I was wondering what the conditions are like up there now. Thanks!
ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

Expect the worst and hope for the best?

Baden still had snow when I left Big Pines area on Monday. Haven't been up trail so hence the above. 8) The low was 36 with a high of around 58 for about 30 minutes. :)
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

We'll be up there this Saturday (4/12) and will send in an update...
rck

Post by rck »

Ha I will also try to do the hike on Saturday. I know the switchbacks will kill me but I can always turn around once I go 4 miles :D
Mike if you see me just go around I will be the slow one.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

rck, we're going in from the west from Dawson Saddle, but we still hope to see you there!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

tstray wrote: I'm doing a hike this coming Sunday with a group and I was wondering if there is still snow or ice up there on that trail? We're doing a shuttle hike starting at Dawson Saddle and ending at Vincent Gap, so it will be a mess if some people are prepared with microspikes (if they're needed) and some don't have any winter hiking gear. It's been pretty warm this week so I was wondering what the conditions are like up there now. Thanks!
We traveled from Dawson Saddle to Mt Burnham and then returned. We didn't make it to Baden-Powell due to time and trail constraints. Specifically, the Dawson Saddle Trail to Throop Peak is good until the "new" trail splits with the "old" trail on the western ridge of Throop. The "new" trail travels north of Throop and was very icy this morning. We tried kick-stepping but turned around for safety. Crampons would have best here as the entire north-facing slope was snow/ice-bound. We took the old trail up the moderately steep western ridge line to Throop's summit. This path was virtually snow-free.

The path down Throop's eastern ridge to the PCT junction was clear but the PCT itself was also snow/ice-bound as it contoured the north-facing slope of Mt Burnham. We opted to take the snow-free use trail directly up Burnham's western ridge to the top.

On our return trip, we tried to take the western approach of the "new" trail under Throop as the sun had softened the snow considerably. A lot of kick-stepping here, too, but again we turned around due to a stretch of ice.

Hope this helps... Trip report to follow...
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

Saw about a million PCT hikers on Baden-Powell this morning. I kept seeing backpackers after backpacker after backpacker and started to wonder where they were all going (it's a strange place for a backpack) -- until eventually I was like 'What day of the year is this?' followed by 'Oh'. Chatted up a couple of them to confirm the obvious. But they didn't seem very chipper for the most part. Not terribly interested in saying hi to you like most day hikers (I can imagine it's a bit onerous to say hi to everyone when you're hiking every day). Good luck to them!
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

seems strange that backpacking in the wilderness did not put them in the best of moods.
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

JerryN wrote: seems strange that backpacking in the wilderness did not put them in the best of moods.
i totally agree with you, but as both an at hiker and a pct hiker told me independently of each other, "to you it's a day hike, to me it's a job."

all they do is walk, eat and sleep.

doesn't seem like fun to me.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

bsmith wrote:
JerryN wrote: seems strange that backpacking in the wilderness did not put them in the best of moods.
i totally agree with you, but as both an at hiker and a pct hiker told me independently of each other, "to you it's a day hike, to me it's a job."

all they do is walk, eat and sleep.

doesn't seem like fun to me.
Right, if it is such a chore, why do it? I don't really get the appeal, but more power to those who are motivated.
tracker

Post by tracker »

I live about a half-block from one of those houses that lets PCT folks hang out and catch their breath for a day or so.
I've noticed the hikers are always happier and more talkative after a long hot shower and a night on a mattress. :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

In order to do the PCT before the "window" closes (i.e. the snows set in come fall), PCT hikers need to do something like an average of 20 miles per day with a full pack. Coming up Baden-Powell on a 20 mile day with a full pack is enough to put anybody in a bad mood.

HJ
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

That's interesting because I've had the opposite experience. I was on Baden Powell the last two weekends and had some nice chats at the junction to the summit. Of course, I always throw some extra candy bars in my pack during thru-hiking season. :)
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

My experience has been the same as Teejate. I spoke to a bunch of through hikers this weekend where the PCT crosses Soledad Canyon Road and despite the fact that they were all dirty, sweaty, tired, and hungry, they were all very upbeat about the whole adventure. Of course, I plied them with PBRs and Cactus Cooler so that might have had something to do with it.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

On the last two weekends, we saw through-hikers on the Devil's Slide Trail above Idyllwild and on the PCT between Saddle Junction and Tahquitz Peak trail and they were all chatty and nice.
Most of them were dropped off at Humber Park. One poor dude went up the South Ridge Trail to rejoin the PCT. He was toast!
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

They certainly weren't un-nice. Just kind of tired and not terribly chatty. I'm just used to everyone I pass saying hi so passing so many people who didn't stuck out! But they non-verbally indicated "hello" :)

I agree with HJ, Baden-Powell with a full pack is not a picnic! It made me wonder how many rough patches of the PCT there are like that. I mean there's 20 miles a day, then there's 20 miles a day.

I wish them all luck though :) I'd rather be doing that than sitting in my office like I am....
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Out of curiosity when should we expect the last of the PCT thru hikers in the San Gabes?
ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

I'm sitting at da Village Grind in Wrightwood with a couple as we speak. 8) First group I ran into about 3 weeks ago....GUFFY is a kinda rallying point for them.....3 weeks from border and lots of desert ;)

Say hi to Zack........

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpqqcw318ognz ... 6%20AM.jpg

Just read rest of thread and yes, after a long day, not many are very cheery until rested up, but afterwords, all good people in my experience, and great talkers.
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

I saw six or seven today between Baden Powell and Hawkins. Has to be towards the end.
Talked to a guy from Quebec who was soloing. It was his fourth time. Mentioned how he we having to scrape off his callouses to get to the blisters. Hike on dude.
Sitting Bull

Post by Sitting Bull »

So awesome, hope to be one of them some day!
taktical

Post by taktical »

Has anyone been up to the Little Jimmy area recently? I was wondering what the conditions (i.e. snow on the ground) are at the campground. Any 411 would be appreciated. Thanks.

tak
tarol

Post by tarol »

no snow - how about the spring? Is it flowing? Let me know :)
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Spring is always flowing. Ice cold and delicious!