Best Day Hike in the SGs?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
ClaireJ

Post by ClaireJ »

I'm wanting to do a day hike, preferably in the SGs, since I will be driving from West LA. I am looking for no more than 9 hours round trip. I guess I could hack something that required some scrambling but nothing much beyond that since I am going it alone and I am wee afraid of the loose gravel on those mountains. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Also, anybody know if all of the lands in the Angeles Forest are mixed use land? I had the freaky experience of hiking in that area a couple of weeks ago with the crackshot sounds of single barrels. :shock:
simonov

Post by simonov »

It's deer season now, and hunting is permitted all over the San Gabriel Mountains.

As for day hikes, I personally enjoy climbing to a summit, and one of my favorite summit hikes is Baden-Powell, at 9,399 feet. It is easy to get to the trailhead at Vincent Gap, and the hike has an elevation gain of 2,834 feet in four miles. Very nice views of the desert and northern San Gabes.

Baden-Powell photos

My favorite day hike in the San Gabes is Ontario Peak via Icehouse Saddle. It is eerily beautiful up there near the top, where a fire ravaged the area twenty years ago leaving a forest of bare snags.

This is a 8,693 foot summit accessible via a 6.2 mile hike with 3,793 foot of elevation gain. You can add some mileage to this hike by heading up Bighorn Peak as well.

Icehouse Canyon is very accessible, with a parking lot about a mile above Baldy village. You need a Wilderness Permit for any hike via Icehouse Saddle.

Ontario Peak photos

Another great hike out of Icehouse, though not as pretty as Ontario, is Cucamonga Peak. It's a 8,859 foot summit via a six mile hike with 3,959 foot of elevation gain. Again, you can go a little farther and hit Etiwanda Peak on the same hike.

Cucamonga Peak photos

It should take you a lot less than nine hours for any of these hikes.

Unlike our Admin, I really enjoy climbing Mt Baldy, but unless you are on the trail very early in the morning it is a crowded mess on the weekends. I bet there are easily as many as fifty people on the top some Saturdays.

There are a lot of nice canyon and streambed hikes, but I am not so interested in those, so someone else will have to chime in.
Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I'll echo Simonov on Ontario Peak or any hike coming through Icehouse Canyon. Very pretty area.

On of my favorite hikes is Cooper Canyon Falls. You can make a nice loop as shown on this map link
"A" is the start at Cloudburst Summit on Angeles Crest Highway. Take the dirt road shown not the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT). The PCT is a worthless mess in this area.
"B" is the trail camp in Cooper Canyon.
"C" is the junction of the PCT and the Burkhart Trail.
"D" is the falls. It's a bit of a scramble down to the base of the falls from the trail, but worth the visit.
"E" is the springs area on the Burkhart Trail.
"F" is the trailhead parking area in Buckhorn Campground.
"G" is the main road in Buckhorn Campground.
"H" is where the main road in Buckhorn Campground joins Angeles Crest Highway, from whence you head back to your car at point "A."

I'm not a particularly fast hiker, and I can do it easily in under nine hours.
Terry Morse

Post by Terry Morse »

Since you are driving from west LA, I would suggest the Mt. Zion loop out of Chantry Flats. Shorter drive and only a 10 mile loop. Just get there early as parking is limited.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Iron Mountain

edit to add: JUST KIDDING
ClaireJ

Post by ClaireJ »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am compiling a list and hope to try out each suggestion.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

JMunaretto wrote:Iron Mountain
:shock: Hmm. I'm not sure that's one to recommend for someone not wanting gravelly loose slopes, but it is an excellent hike. Also, depending on one's fitness level, nine hours may not be enough to complete the hike.

From the Sierra Club's Hundred Peaks Section page:
Distance: 14 miles round trip on trail and cross-country
Gain: 7200' total, 6600' out plus 600' on return
Time: 10-12 hours round trip
Rating: Class 1, very strenuous
Navigation: Moderate
(emphasis added)

I also agree with the recommendation of the Zion Loop. Big Santa Anita Canyon is a great place to hike. Both Hermit and Sturdevant Falls are well worth visiting.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

As always, I'll be the one to obnoxiously tell you to "Get a map!" :wink:

Tom Harrison maps are good and can be found at Sports Chalet or REI or where ever.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Get a Tom Harrison Map for sure!

Simonov wins the best post award.
ClaireJ

Post by ClaireJ »

8)

Thanks again for time/energy in replies.

I hear you on the map. I'll score one when I get the Wildness Pass.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Dayum, tomorrow is gonna be a great day for a summit!

Hope it's not a crowded mess up there.
Nunc est bibendum
Melito Irpino

Post by Melito Irpino »

Baldy via the Ski Hut trail and down the Devil's Backbone is one of my favorites in the San Gabriels.

I second Siminov's suggestion of Ontario Peak and Cucamonga Peak. The nice thing is that you can easily add Bighorn Peak to Ontario and Etiwanda Peak to Cucamonga. I did the later hike on Friday, its about 15 miles round trip and took me about 6 hours. Once you pass Cucamonga and head towards Etiwanda you really feel like you are in the wilderness and most likely won't see anybody.