Middlefork Lytle Creek to Wrightwood via Baldy 9/24 - 9/26

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Bill

Post by Bill »

We arrived at Middle fork trailhead at 6:30 and set out on our 3 day journey to Wrightwood. We had previously cached water at two locations.
Icehouse saddle, and Pine Mountain. We were also able to get water from the restraunt at Baldy notch. (Thanks for suggestions from previous posts)
As we arrived at Icehouse saddle and relaxed for lunch, one of our group realized that he had dropped his tent. This set us back an hour or so, as two of us had to hike back a couple miles to retrieve it
:(
We learned after we got home that there was a missing hiker at Icehouse saddle the very day we were there. I was glad to hear he was found :) We heard a helicopter hover over us that night which appeared to be a SBCSD. It flew close enough to check us out.
Having to retrieve the tent took it out of us, so we camped at Timber instead of Baldy notch as we had planned. The spot we picked easily accommodated our group of three plus the dog.
With a good night sleep we set out for Baldy Notch. I was counting on water being available there as I was unable to get a hold of the restraunt to confirm. (I had hiked up there a couple weeks before and the building was open, as was the restroom) We were glad it was that day as well :)
We saw only two other people along the Devils Backbone to Baldy that day, both runners. :roll: and after we had passed Mt Harwood and making our final ascent to Baldy, my dog Violet decided to chase a Nelson Bighorn sheep. Funny look on her face as the sheep bounded down the side (none of the squirrels she had chase behaved that way). I was happy she had enough sense to abort :oops: This was the dogs first overnighter, and first time using a backpack. She did great :!: The only issue she had was decending from Baldy to Dawson. The trail is kinda steep and I had to carry her pack.
We made it to Baldy around noonish, giving each other the abligatory high fives and picture taking etc. but didn't spend too much time there because we still had the hike over Dawson to Pine Mountain ahead of us.
We had cached water there, and had agreed to meet another buddy at that location who had to work and couldn't complete the entire trip :wink:
The hike from Pine Mountain to Wrightwood was a breeze. We hooked up with the PCT to Guffy CG where there is a little trail that hooks up to a fireroad that drops you off on the far west side of town (Flume canyon)
The weather was spectacular and I have pictures that I'm having a hard time uploading. Do you guys have a Geek squad section that can help me with that? :oops: Also I have two gallons of water cached at Icehouse saddle, and two gallons at Blueridge junction to the Pine Mountain trailhead. If anyone needs it let me know otherwise I will retrieve it.
Bill
Thanks for the help! Here are the photos. http://www.flickr.com/photos/30922174@N06/
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Do you have a Photobucket account? You can register on there for free, and they'll host your pictures.

Flickr also does this, though I have no experience with them, as I use Photobucket (thinking of switching).

Do not use Imageshack.

Sounds like y'all had a good time!
simonov

Post by simonov »

Sounds like a great trip.

Flickr makes it easy to share photos on this site.

If you put your dog on a leash, as is required in Wilderness Area regulations, you won't have to worry about her chasing bighorns off cliffs or squirrels into cactus.
Nunc est bibendum
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

simonov wrote:Flickr makes it easy to share photos on this site.
Ya ez unless you are a computer idiot like me. Simonov helped me and it worked. :lol:
I like smugmug although it isn't free. You should check it out and if you choose to use it you can get like 5 bucks off or something like that if you use some code word from KathyW. I think she gets five bucks off or both you and her do. I can't remember. Anyway the quality is way better I think. And I can do it! :lol:
Bill

Post by Bill »

I attached a link to the photos as an edit to the original post if anyones interested.
Thanks for the help everyone!
Bill :D
simonov

Post by simonov »

That is a link to your entire Flickr photostream.

A better link would be to the set for the trip, in case you add more photos of other trips to your photostream later:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30922174@N ... 553906142/

I have a complaint about those photos: not enough dog pics.
Nunc est bibendum
Bill

Post by Bill »

Thanks for the help. :D
I am not a natural when it comes to technology by any stretch.
Yup. I cut most of em out, she's in quite a few of those pictures. That dog really enjoys hiking. 8) I can't even put my hiking pants on without her coming unglued :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hey, Bill,

Good to see you got that trip in that you had posted about prior. Question: where in the Pine Mtn vicinity did you spend the night?

HJ
AW~

Post by AW~ »

cool trip..what were the temps like?
Bill

Post by Bill »

AW said
cool trip..what were the temps like?
Actually the weather was great, warm during the day a little cool at night.
(down bag) a nice breeze, which was welcome :)
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hikin Jim wrote
Where in the Pine Mt vicinity did you spend the night?
We stayed pretty much on the top of Pine on the east side. There were
3 adjoining flat areas which accommodated 3 tents (2 two man, 1 one man) with good tree cover, and a lot of slate which we used for seating.
Very comfortable :)
By the way thank you Jim, for your input 8). I would still like to investigate the Fish fork area.
Perhaps a Vincent gap to Fish fork trip.
Bill
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Cool. Good to know about that spot on Pine Mtn. I'm glad it worked out well. Sounds like good planning led to a good trip. Glad some of my input was helpful.

Looking forward to your Tetons Trip Report. :)

HJ