Eastern San Gabriels Flyover

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

135Driver took me on a flight over the Baldy area this morning. Loads of fun! Got some great shots in preparation for this winter season of climbing.

Our flight path led us east out of Upland, parallel to the ridge that is Ontario-Cucamonga Peaks, over the east face of Cucamonga, then back towards San Antonio Canyon, flying over Baldy Road. Flew over Cow and Cattle Canyon and got some cool shots. Headed over the north face of Baldy, then back to Cucamonga, over to Telegraph, to Harwood, and out.

Rather than put all the pics on here, I'll linkto the album, and then post a select few on here. I should have a video up soon on Youtube, but it might have failed to upload. We'll see later, and I'll upload it Thursday if it didn't make it.

Album: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/T ... 20Flyover/

Some selected pics:

135Driver setting up

Myself

Cucamonga Peak with the various southern ridges dropping down into the valley

Baldy Bowl

My mountain!

Baldy North Face

Glendora Ridge Road

Baldy's South Face Couloirs, and the jagged and awesome looking west face and ribs of Lookout Mountain Ridge

Telegraph Peak's West Face Couloir, attempted twice, should go this winter since I found a better method of getting there.

Thanks again dude for the badass flight! Tons of fun! Get ready to tear it up in winter!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Now that looks like a good time!
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

That look's awesome. Baldy's northface looks kinda mean/fun in the winter.

Post by 406 »

very cool.
135driver

Post by 135driver »

Dude,

That was cool. I have never had such a calm clear day to go get those pics. Now I know my route up the s. face of cucamonga for sure.

Had fun, more to follow I hope.

k :o

Post by 406 »

The road in the foreground seems to be BLM-4527:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 4&t=h&z=17

Is that open to vehicles? Bikes? foot?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice shots - makes me want to climb and fly.

Gives better perspective than Google earth.

Great job - I'm jealous sitting in my office watching the clouds form over the summit of Baldy right now.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Cool stuff. The flying Taco? The flying Ice Pirates?
406 wrote:The road in the foreground seems to be BLM-4527:...Is that open to vehicles? Bikes? foot?
It's a private road behind a locked gate. I hiked down it a ways earlier this year - see the Big Horn Ridge thread for the info (page 10 or so). Seems hikers and bikers aren't harassed but be considerate of the owners' privacy.
135driver

Post by 135driver »

Oh, Now that sounds like a new name for you Taco. The flying Taco, Leader of the Fearless Ice Pirates. It's gotta a bit of a ring to it eh? (rich british accent of course)
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

135driver wrote:Oh, Now that sounds like a new name for you Taco. The flying Taco, Leader of the Fearless Ice Pirates. It's gotta a bit of a ring to it eh? (rich british accent of course)
Mr. Driver. Can you make a map and show the entire route that you guys went on? Would be nice. Must have been fun Taco!
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

awesome!
135driver

Post by 135driver »

FIGHT ON wrote:
135driver wrote:Oh, Now that sounds like a new name for you Taco. The flying Taco, Leader of the Fearless Ice Pirates. It's gotta a bit of a ring to it eh? (rich british accent of course)
Mr. Driver. Can you make a map and show the entire route that you guys went on? Would be nice. Must have been fun Taco!
Damn,

I was going to bring my GPS to post the track on GoogleEarth but I forgot it.
Do you know If I can draw a line in the sky on GoogleEarth to show what we did?

kelly
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

135driver wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote:
Damn,

kelly
If I did I would be on top of the world! The only thing I can do with google earth is zoom up Kings canyon and up to Reflection Lake. (soooooooooooo awesome dude!) (check out the sphinx!!!!!!!) I was thinking of that acme mapper but it wouldn't show lines.
Do you believe that google earth could have shown a 3d line??????? Actually where your plane flew. Not just an areal view? Now that would have been cool!
Somebody knows how. Not me. Sorry. :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Good name. :lol:

Glad you guys like the pics.
135driver

Post by 135driver »

FIGHT ON wrote:
135driver wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote: Mr. Driver. Can you make a map and show the entire route that you guys went on? Would be nice. Must have been fun Taco!
Damn,

kelly
If I did I would be on top of the world! The only thing I can do with google earth is zoom up Kings canyon and up to Reflection Lake. (soooooooooooo awesome dude!) (check out the sphinx!!!!!!!) I was thinking of that acme mapper but it wouldn't show lines.
Do you believe that google earth could have shown a 3d line??????? Actually where your plane flew. Not just an areal view? Now that would have been cool!
Somebody knows how. Not me. Sorry. :D

Yeah Fight ON,

If I had brought the GPS, It would paint the track in the sky just like it puts the tracks on hikes. It would have been pretty cool, but I am dumb and forgot to do it. Next time I will for sure.

k
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

135driver wrote:Yeah Fight ON,

If I had brought the GPS, It would paint the track in the sky just like it puts the tracks on hikes. It would have been pretty cool, but I am dumb and forgot to do it. Next time I will for sure.

k
I'm sure Taco thanked you more than enough. A real nice thing to do Mr. Driver Man!
He219

Post by He219 »

Very awesome Taco & 135driver!
We could use some good winter recon help in the near future!
:D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I've got some gold!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

TACO & DRIVER!!!!!!! :D
"09/10/2008 15:15 ANF-3407 Airplane doing acrobats over my house Miscellaneous Big T Cyn / Ottie Rd "
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

HAHAHA I wish!