What is everyone planning to do this '08 Labor Day weekend?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I need inspiration to decided which hike(s) to do this weekend in the San Gabriels. So, to that end I ask...What the heck is everyone doing this weekend???
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

HikeUp wrote:I need inspiration to decided which hike(s) to do this weekend in the San Gabriels. So, to that end I ask...What the heck is everyone doing this weekend???
I'm going to decided to sit down, drink a substance that will travel through my body, past my liver and enter my mind and simulate euphoria.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

I had originally planned to just do one hike. Strawberry Peak via Colby Canyon. Then go down the east side, and loop around the north through the potrero.

Then I decided to do the Baldy run to the top on Labor Day.

Then I decided I didn't want to get up ass early to drive there Monday morning, so I decided to do some sort of camping out Sunday night.

Then I decided I could better acclimate and check the trail if I hike up Baldy via Devil's Backbone.

So 3 days, 3 hikes/runs!

Anyone around those parts those days, let me know!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Unfortunately, I'll probably do nothing. Might try to do some sorta climb in Icehouse Canyon, and throw rocks at passersby. Gotta get stronger for ze wintar.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Work. :cry:
Gotta buy crampons/ice axe!
Bill

Post by Bill »

Going up Blueridge to the other devils backbone to Pine mountain and maybe down fishfork. Have a safe weekend 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Wuz gonna do Langley via Army Pass from Cottonwood Lakes. Got permit and all but the two guys I was going to do it with backed out. :evil: Some time ago, I promised my wife I wouldn't do solo X-C any more. So no Langley this weekend.

Hope to do Humber Park to Caramba this weekend if I can get a permit.

HJ
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

I'm going to Dizkneeland!

No, seriously I am. It's my stepdaughters Bday and we're staying in a family timeshare and hitting up the Tragic Kingdom and California Misadventures for three days. I haven't been to the new park and am actually looking forward to that.

Not the best warmup for the next weekends Whitney, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Haha, nice.

I'd do something if we had that cold white stuff up there.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I think this is how Taco feels.

simonov

Post by simonov »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Wuz gonna do Langley via Army Pass from Cottonwood Lakes. Got permit and all but the two guys I was going to do it with backed out. :evil: Some time ago, I promised my wife I wouldn't do solo X-C any more. So no Langley this weekend.
Bummer. If I didn't have a lot of crap to do around the house, I'd take you up on that Langley trip.

It's probably too late now, but Cottonwood Lakes over Labor Day is hardly a "solo X-C" hike. We went up on Sunday a few weeks ago and saw dozens of people coming down. Cottonwood Lakes must have been a zoo Saturday night. I have no doubt the trails all the way up to Langley will be lousy with hikers all this weekend.
Nunc est bibendum
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

simonov wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:Wuz gonna do Langley via Army Pass from Cottonwood Lakes. Got permit and all but the two guys I was going to do it with backed out. :evil: Some time ago, I promised my wife I wouldn't do solo X-C any more. So no Langley this weekend.
Bummer. If I didn't have a lot of crap to do around the house, I'd take you up on that Langley trip.

It's probably too late now, but Cottonwood Lakes over Labor Day is hardly a "solo X-C" hike. We went up on Sunday a few weeks ago and saw dozens of people coming down. Cottonwood Lakes must have been a zoo Saturday night. I have no doubt the trails all the way up to Langley will be lousy with hikers all this weekend.
My thoughts exactly. I took a friend up late last year when all the shooting stars were supposed to be happening. August 10th I think. There was no spots available. The opposite of when I went there a few months before to prepare for mt whitney.
Me and my friend ended up staying in the horses campground.
It was a zoo up and back to those lakes. Have fun getting away from LA.
(everyone will be up there waiting for you) :lol:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thinking of keeping it close to home...San Gabriel Peak from Lake Ave.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Tim, pretty much!

Post by 406 »

Drink an inhuman amount of beer!

Saturday = surf and baseball game
Sunday = Mountain bike
Monday = rock climb or surf ( depends on temps )

Post by 406 »

Tim wrote:
That's a good one!
Cy Kaicener

Post by Cy Kaicener »

On Labor day (Monday) there is the annual Mt Baldy run to the top race starting at Manker Flats at 8 am. I will take a slow hike up starting at 5 am so I can be on top to see the lead runners come in.
Maxwell's Demon

Post by Maxwell's Demon »

FIGHT ON wrote:I'm going to decided to sit down, drink a substance that will travel through my body, past my liver and enter my mind and simulate euphoria.
Coffee? :wink:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Maxwell's Demon wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote:I'm going to decided to sit down, drink a substance that will travel through my body, past my liver and enter my mind and simulate euphoria.
I think they sometimes call that type of "coffee" "cerveza." :wink: :wink:
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

I was thinking, Fight On, about downing a bunch of coffee before the race to help keep up with those skinny runners. Do you approve? :lol:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

OK. It's go time. Get your asses out there and get 'er done.

I expect full TR's and pics on Tuesday. :D

Be safe.

That is all.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

:lol:
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Maxwell's Demon wrote:
Not me, I don't drink coffee, Never have and never will. :wink:
No alcohol either, I was being sarcastic. :lol: