Hermit Falls

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Hiked down to Hermit Falls yesterday 8/22. It took us about 40 minutes to get down there. My plan was to jump into the deep lower pool from the rocks above which is about 60 feet, i took one look down and had second thoughts. Insted I jumped from a rock ledge that was maybe 15 to 20 feet into the middle pool. I also sat down and slid down the waterfall into the second pool. I had alot of fun jumping in, but am disappointed I didn't have the courage to jump 60 feet into the lower pool. After I was done jumping, we started hiking back up along the creek which was flowing ok in spots, I used the oppurtunity to try out my new sweetwater microfilter to filter out a liter of water from Big Santa Anita creek. It worked perfectly and water actually tasted really good. It took about 40 minutes to get back to Chantry from Hermit falls. On the drive down Chantry Flat road (actually Santa Anita ave at this point)we saw four deers walking in a residential area in Arcadia. This was really cool. Overall another great day in the San Gabriel Mountians.
Here are some pics if anyones interested:
http://flickr.com/photos/24141711@N08/s ... 911977539/
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Pretty cool! Just go up santa anita canyon? do the acme mapper thing and mark where it is. I hate the graffiti too. who was taking the pics?
I wouldn't worry or feel bad about not jumping from the 60. I know I wouldn't do it. Doing that alone is nuts. I doubt anyone does it. I even bet our fearless leader would pause, hesitate and swallow his adams apple. Probably have to use a rope or something! :lol: Hey I wouldn't care if you called me chicken taco either. buckbuckbuckbuck...buckkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Hermit Falls is a really cool place :D . To get there just take the gated road from the parking area that goes towards Strurtevant Falls about a thrid of a mile down and you will see the First Water Trail, take it and you will be at Hermit Falls in 1.2 miles. Here's the approximate location on acme mapper,
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=34.19418,-11 ... Madre%20CA
Point A is Chantry Flats and Point B is Hermit Falls. To answer your question who took the pics, it was my gf. She just watched as I jumped in. Also, people do jump from 60 feet up into the water below actually it seems pretty popular, heres a link to Youtube on Hermit Falls.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=f
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

brian90620 wrote:Hermit Falls is a really cool place :D . To get there just take the gated road from the parking area that goes towards Strurtevant Falls about a thrid of a mile down and you will see the First Water Trail, take it and you will be at Hermit Falls in 1.2 miles. Here's the approximate location on acme mapper,
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=34.19418,-11 ... Madre%20CA
Point A is Chantry Flats and Point B is Hermit Falls. To answer your question who took the pics, it was my gf. She just watched as I jumped in. Also, people do jump from 60 feet up into the water below actually it seems pretty popular, heres a link to Youtube on Hermit Falls.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=f
Now that's a trip report! Complete with a map, videos and everything!
I thought it was up Little Santa Anita Canyon. I've never been down that way. I see the sign but keep on a truckin downaroadjack.
dont see taco in them videos. :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Cool stuff, dude!
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

jumping into water from high places gives me the creeps.....
i still do it every now and then cuz its so much fun
after others jump first to make sure theres no hideen dangers
hermit falls is cool.i didnt jump either from the top rocks but some
chick did...she was brave...she made it look easy but still i wouldnt do it

have you been to santa paula falls behind the college...that place is bad.

i have this aquaintance who is a pretty lucky guy.got married to a lady who had the same interests as him.came across some cash and bought
a his and hers harley davidisons...they even bought a mobile dog grooming van type of thing and had a cool life doing nothing and loving it.
one day down by the river everyone was kicking back drinking and eating
and playing....normal river activities..there was a rope on a tree branch and and people were swinging and jumping into the water..this guy i know
tells me it was hot and he felt like cooling off...from about 15-20 feet
above the water he grabbed the rope and swung out expecting to hit the cool refreshing water..instead he felt cold numbing pain...and then nothing.
he woke up with paramedics all around then nothing and then he remembers waking up in the hospital and then nothing...then he wakes
up in a nice quiet hospital room at night..eveything was quiet .he tried to move but couldnt.from that day on in a quick minute he was a paraplegic

every time i jump in water i think about this guy..but i still jump