Favorite mountain and other place names

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

I was just reminded how I prefer all place names to use uncommon words. Then these words can take on specific connotations/ associations. The word "Wasatch" immediately brings to mind images of those excellent, specific mountains. Because what else would that word make you think of? With this in mind, Native American-derived names are often my favorite.

"Strawberry Peak"? .... meh, not so much. Just doesn't work when you tell people you are climbing "Strawberry Peak" and want to sound badass. "Lawlor" is much better, if only because it doesn't bring to mind what my 4 year old is eating right now. You look at that characteristically dark brush-covered southern face of Lawlor with that name going through your head enough times, and I associate that view with that word, which I think is really cool. People's names can work well since those words are generally not commonly used.

"San Gabriel" is decently unique enough in contemporary parlance, so I'm ok with that. "Sierra Nevada" is ok enough, though the fact its mostly not in the state of Nevada is kinda a drawback. "Sierra" is an awesome word, but its used for other mountain ranges too.

What are your favorite local mountain names? Least favorite?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Will Thrall just sounds cool. Also my favorite peak in the range. I was greeted by a Golden Eagle when I made it to the summit.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Cucamonga
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Sean wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 12:42 amCucamonga
...and Etiwanda
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Cloudripper (https://ironhiker.blogspot.com/2015/08/ ... -peak.html) is one of my favorite names. I mean, it rips clouds.

Anything with Palisade in the name. I've attempted none of them.

Everest is an awesome name. Reminiscent of everlasting.

Spectre Peak (https://ironhiker.blogspot.com/2019/12/ ... -peak.html), just in time for Halloween.

And the five benchmark "struggles" in Anza-Borrego: Gasp, Moan, Groan, Puff, and Grunt. All official USGS names with marks.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Modern names , especially dramatic ones.

In canyons, GOD ...I dont think it can possibly be more drama.
"Im going to GOD next Sunday"..is wow. Its an acronym...not that the spelled out name is any less dramatic.

"Lame" is awesome. Someone named it that...to hide it? Where you going?..."Lame"
"Perfect" beach...or also "Paradise" beach

On a more recognizable place...C2C just about sums it up.

The San Gabes, I dont go for the names in general. Im an old timer hehehe.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Uncle Rico wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:29 am
Sean wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 12:42 amCucamonga
...and Etiwanda
Hard to beat that combo. When you hear Cucamonga and Etiwanda, your mind immediately thinks about having too much fun. Somebody will do a backflip off a boulder. And somebody else will get way too close to a rattlesnake.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

tekewin wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 9:09 am Cloudripper (https://ironhiker.blogspot.com/2015/08/ ... -peak.html) is one of my favorite names. I mean, it rips clouds.
That was the first one I thought of on this topic. I've turned around twice planning to summit that via another great name, Thunder and Lightning Lake. Snow was still at 10k feet, wait much longer and it's too hot getting up to T&L.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Uncle Rico wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:29 am ...and Etiwanda
I love Etiwanda... makes me think of "ethereal" and also a magic "wand".... and very unique.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

HikeUp wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 10:14 pm Will Thrall just sounds cool. Also my favorite peak in the range. I was greeted by a Golden Eagle when I made it to the summit.
Yeah Will Thrall is cool... "Will" makes me think of willpower, and "thrall" brings to mind enthralling. This mountain WILL ENTHRALL you. :)