Tee Pee Trail and Hawks Recon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

It's been quite awhile since I've ventured into the San Gabes. Between driving burn out, summer temps, and multiple trips out of state to look after my aged mother, I just haven't had the time or inclination to go. But with the pleasant temps yesterday, I decided to get in a little front country romp up the Tee Pee Trail and then do some recon on Hawks Peak. It only ended up being recon because I got such a late start and then we insufficiently dressed to do battle with brush.

I parked at the end of Harter Lane which I guess is technically in La Canada. I was the only car there, probably because it was 2:30 p.m. and no one else starts hiking at that time. Right out of the small clearing at the trailhead, I noticed some blue-green hued trees in the canyon which appeared out of place. Some sort of olive maybe? I didn't stop to investigate.

A short distance from the trailhead, the path bends back on itself and gently climbs out of the canyon bottom. There's trail signage here denoting a trail continuing up canyon (which I see on CalTopo), but that trail, at least at the junction, is obliterated and not really passable.

A short distance beyond, the trail merges onto a fire road which it follows in a general westerly direction for a short distance before returning to single-track where the climbing begins. Initially, the grade isn't bad up to the clearing with the picnic tables. Beyond that, there are some steep sections until you top out at the Tee Pee which sits on a flat at about 3,250'. The path is pretty decent most of the way, although there are some eroded sections and a couple of areas where the trail is sloughing off.

After a brief stop for water and obligator pics, I continued around the west side of the flat and followed the "road" to the junction with 3N27 which is Lukens Road. Along the way, I observed either a telescope, an alien spaceship, or Sasquatch's kegerator. At the junction with 3N27 sits the world's most random mailbox.

From this point, I followed the fire road up to scout a route to the summit of Hawks. I was thinking that the low saddle on the northeast side would provide the best option, so I blew past the southern ridge which ultimately looks to be the most advantageous route up. I believe this is the route David went up when he ascended Hawks. Anyway, I discovered that the road cut all along the eastern and northern side of Hawks is too high to really gain access to the north ridge. There's a bench along the road at near the low saddle that I planned to stop at, but two guys were hogging it so I continued a bit further up until I could get a glimpse of Pickens. Then I turned around and retraced my steps back to the car.

Even with mild temps, it was still a little warm going up. Probably explains why I only saw other folks on my way back down. Anyway, it was good to be back in the Gabes again. I still love it.

20241013_171253.jpg
20241013_143232.jpg
20241013_145927.jpg
20241013_150710.jpg
20241013_153832.jpg
20241013_154053.jpg
20241013_160427.jpg
20241013_161100.jpg
20241013_162724.jpg
20241013_163208.jpg
20241013_164421.jpg
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

That's squatch's mailbox.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. I'll take "Sasquatch's Kegerator" for $1000, Alex.
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

Talk about coincidence I did Hawks a second time Sunday morning. There is a sign-in can still up there, not too many people go there, even though it is right off the fire road. Would have been funny if you made it and saw my sign-in.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

David R wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 2:55 pm Talk about coincidence I did Hawks a second time Sunday morning. There is a sign-in can still up there, not too many people go there, even though it is right off the fire road. Would have been funny if you made it and saw my sign-in.
Dang it, missed you. You must have gone early. How is the brush on the south ridge of Hawks? Looked manageable down low. Do you suppose Pickens is still a brush hell fest?
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

Uncle Rico wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 7:22 am
David R wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 2:55 pm Talk about coincidence I did Hawks a second time Sunday morning. There is a sign-in can still up there, not too many people go there, even though it is right off the fire road. Would have been funny if you made it and saw my sign-in.
Dang it, missed you. You must have gone early. How is the brush on the south ridge of Hawks? Looked manageable down low. Do you suppose Pickens is still a brush hell fest?
The south ridge is the best for both peaks, I did Hawks in shorts and only hit brush towards the top and it wasn't more than waist high. Pickens was more of a brushy affair but still manageable. The yucca was the most annoying part of that route.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

I'm getting to know the west end of Lukens well, glad to see there are adventures to be had nearer the ACH too.
Probably my next Lukens expedition will be a point to point adventure strait across up upper Haines Canyon and then down Stone Canyon. Or reverse. But let me know if you do Hawks and Pickens and want a buddy.