Alamo Peak from Lockwood Valley Road

TRs for Los Padres National Forest.
dima

Post by dima »

Years ago I tried to summit Cobblestone Peak with some people. We drove from Hungry Valley to the end of the road by Sewart peak, started the hike, and then hiked White Mountain instead for some reason. I think it the weather was weird or something? I don't recall. But I do recall the road we drove up: wasn't particularly rough or challenging, just long. Looking into it again the other day, I found out that there're DC-3 chunks just below the summit of White. So I want to go back there, to actually get to Cobblestone and/or to find the DC-3. Ride up the road, hike to the peak(s). Done. But since the Post fire just happened, the road we used the last time is inaccessible. There's an approach from Lockwood Valley Rd still, so that's what I took. Lockwood Creek Rd to the OHV area. Then Lockwood Trail and the Miller Trail.

This was a very high-elevation-gain route, so some sort of overnight would be a good idea. I wanted to scope it out first, so I did a one-day thing yesterday, to see what it's like. Conclusion: very nice area, completely unrideable roads, not a viable approach, unless somebody is REALLY determined.

The OHV roads here are extremely steep, chunky and full of moon dust. I gained ~ 7000ft yesterday, and of that gain I rode maybe 300ft; the rest was a hike-a-bike. The descents were technical, but doable, so that's something.

The route crosses Seymour Creek and Lockwood Creek a few times. They are all flowing well. Eventually you can see Alamo Peak in the distance

The first view into the Piru Creek valley. Much bigger canyon than the others, but less water

And you can see the Miller Trail climbing up Alamo. Steep!

At the Piru Creek crossing is the Sunset Camp

It's a nice spot. Found this guy near the stream

He's tiny, less than 1in long. Here is also the start of the Miller Trail. The sign says that fun time is now over

It was already a rough slog to get here. Can't wait. Looks like this:

Since I was already walking every climb, this wasn't all that much worse. But the potato bugs love it here

Saw a few. Eventually (6300ft) you get up into the trees, and it becomes real nice

At the flatter summit area is the Dutchman camp. This is at the junction of the two roads that circle Alamo Peak.

The road does get a LOT better here, but I wasn't anywhere near Sewart still (where the hike would begin). And my turnaround time was approaching. So I cut my losses, stashed the bike, and walked towards the Alamo high point. It's pleasant here

After passing one false bump after another, I finally arrived at the one true bump

This is apparently an HPS peak, so there's a very civilized register box and a register inside. Cool views:

I took a different line down from the summit, and found a bobcat

The return was full of rough descends and climbs, and took a while. Just barely missed the sun, and had to finish in the dark. Which meant that the road is full of fat toads:

This trip was the end of the road for my boots (anybody have any recommendation for durable boots?)

and for my shirt (lesson: watch your speed on rough, technical descents even if you're trying to beat the sunset)

So yeah. Cool area, probably not viable route. Maybe waiting until the Post fire closure to expire is the answer.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Cover your boots in duct tape and try to get another month out of them! Thanks for the TR. I don't like your blood soaked shirt; it makes me imagine you dangerously flying over your handlebars into rocks.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice pictures.
Sean wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:20 pm I don't like your blood soaked shirt; it makes me imagine you dangerously flying over your handlebars into rocks.
Squatch threw rocks at him and landed a couple.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Damn, that was a hell of an exploration effort. I didn't know the road to Buck Creek Campground was closed. Thanks for that update. I've been frustrated with all the road closures in Los Padres the last couple of years.

Looks like you left some blood on the road, ouch.
wesweswes

Post by wesweswes »

Looks like it'd be fun on a mountain bike. Nice work
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Lovely! I need more Los Padres in my life.