Hell Hole Canyon

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Hell Hole Canyon sits in the Red Cliffs National Conservation Area adjacent to Kayenta, a super boujie development with enormous single-story homes occupied by wealthy folks from out of state who have convinced themselves that their low profile, muted-colored homes that blend into the scenery don't have any impact on the fragile desert ecosystem. The draw (or at least of them) to Hell Hole Canyon is a seasonal waterfall that tumbles over sandstone cliffs thousands of feet high when (if) it rains here. Legend has it that if the wind is blowing just right, the waterfall goes in reverse, meaning the wind blows the water back up the cliff face. I have never seen that. I've also not seen the waterfall flow in the normal direction.

The trail up Hell Hole Canyon begins along North Taviawk Drive in Kayenta at roughly the following coordinates: 37.19371,-113.69673. Parking is limited here. Make sure you entirely off the pavement or the man will issue you a citation for violating the HOA rules. The trail proper goes north up the bottom of the wash, but there is a well-worn use trail the follows along the edge of the wash to the immediate west that is far preferable as you avoid slogging through the loose sand.

After approximately a mile of easy walking (virtually no elevation gain), the use trail dips to the wash and then ascends a minor ridge before continuing up canyon. I missed this the first time I went up this trail and ended up tacking right and following a wash to its terminus at the foot of the cliffs. I wasn't mad. It's all so spectacular that there really is not wrong option.

Anyway, after climbing the minor ridge, the trail continues maybe another couple of tenths of a mile until it peters out at a mass of boulders and scrub oak. But wait! There's a "tunnel" through the scrub oak and if you push forward, the path re-emerges and continues up more faintly now since most folks don't continue this far. The path climbs up a steep and loose embankment. At the top, there is a narrow slot that you can squeeze through. At the end of the slot is the end of the line as the way forward gets pretty rough (meaning technical). But if you scale the boulder to your immediate right and circle around to its front, there is a nice flat platform to sit on with grand views of the canyon below.

Its worth noting that what is described above is the west "finger" of Hell Hole Canyon. There is also an east "finger" which is where the waterfall is. I've been up the canyon as far as I was able to go, but it is considerably more rugged than its westerly brother that gets the majority of traffic. But if you want solitude far from the madding crowds (and perhaps some seasonal water), this is your place.

BTW, it probably needs to said (or maybe it doesn't because it is so self-evident), but none of these hikes are daytime summer hikes. It get hot af here so you need to get out either early or late and take a ton of water.

A couple of pics:
5_Hell Hole Canyon.jpg
6_Hell Hole Canyon.jpg
7_Hell Hole Canyon.jpg
8_Hell Hole Canyon.jpg
9_Hell Hole Canyon.jpg
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Thanks for sticking with it and getting this posted. Sounds like you were pretty frustrated yesterday. Great pics!!!

I have watched the upper Yosemite Fall miss it's target all day due to high wind. Ron Kauk is the only thing I've known to flow up Yosemite Fall.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Beautiful pics. I feel like I've been there.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. Your description sounds like you were following an old treasure map. Never heard of canyon "fingers." Branches seems like the more appropriate metaphor.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Sean wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:46 am Never heard of canyon "fingers." Branches seems like the more appropriate metaphor.
My next TR is going to says "toes."
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Guys! It's pronounced phalanges!!!
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Ah yes, phalanges. That's the word I was looking for!

I'm using that in my next TR.