Bivys and sleeping bag

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
jeko1034
Supercaff

Post by jeko1034 »

Sup guys??? I went camping with the boys this past weekend and need some bivy sac recs. Preference is leaning towards fully waterproof and with poles.

Also, any ultralight sleeping pad recommendation? Something around the 30 degree mark
dima

Post by dima »

I'd like some suggestions here too. Getting tired of waking up under a dew-covered quilt
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Do you want just a bivy or since you mention poles do you want a tent? Bivies (and all covers, especially single-wall) tend to get condensation so you still may have a wet quilt.

How much do you want to spend? Light is not cheap.Warm is generally not light. Yeah, life is full of little tradeoffs...
I've purchased my tents - I have 3 - on the used market. Welcome to try them out if you want.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
dima

Post by dima »

I THINK I want a bivy? I've used a single-wall tent in the past, and never had a condensation problem. Was I getting lucky?

If a bivy doesn't solve condensation, then what problem does it solve?
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

dima wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:14 pm If a bivy doesn't solve condensation, then what problem does it solve?
It solves the weight and space problem. Of course it's also cramped - one of the tradeoffs.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda