Can You Be Ticketed for Speeding on a Curve with a Lower Limit?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Kevin Mark

Post by Kevin Mark »

Hey everyone, I need some clarity on a driving situation. If you're on a mountain road where the overall speed limit is 25 mph, but there is a specific curve marked at 15 mph, can you get a ticket for going 25 through that curve? Looking for insights or experiences on how strictly such speed limits are enforced, especially in curves with posted lower speeds than the main road.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Don't quote me, but I doubt you'll be fined for taking a curve above the suggested speed. The colored signs at turns are recommended speeds. The white signs are regulatory. But a cop can ticket you for unsafe driving. So if you're taking turns too fast that you swerve into oncoming traffic or get into an accident, then your speed might be an issue with the ticket.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I am with Sean's assessment. I don't think recommended speeds are legal limit, but again it is up to the issuing officer's judgement, so if you see fuzz on your butt then be cautious.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I'm thinking you won't get ticketed for speeding (objective measure) but you could easily get ticketed for reckless driving (highly subjective).
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda