Death near Mt. Waterman

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
David Martin

Post by David Martin »

I've been reading about the Glendale woman who died near the Mt. Waterman trail recently. I haven't seen specifics about where her body was found or what happened. I was in that area about 10 days ago (didn't post about that hike) so I was especially sad to learn of this. If anyone knows more about it or can post a link with more detailed info, please chime in. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mi ... l-n1261075
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Glendale let SAR know way too late, but id say it was a fall so the extra time didnt matter.
If it had mattered then it would have wtf...Glendale dumb as a box of rocks?

It came after Loida Tice....those who know reddit saw me bulldoze my way into that discussion.
That hasnt gone away either...for Mario et al.
dima

Post by dima »

My understanding is that this woman didn't tell anybody where she was going, so she was reported missing days after she got lost. And then a storm came in. That's a lesson for the rest of us.
dima

Post by dima »

Oh, not quite. She told family she was leaving, but not where she was going. And it took days to figure out what part of the forest she was in. Sad story.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

dima wrote: And it took days to figure out what part of the forest she was in. Sad story.
6 or 7....for somebody to drive up....after 1st call. Was 911 called...? Probably. ..and was incorrectly routed. And then the misclass....to missing...which she wasnt.
Dont call Glendale is the lesson here....haha oops.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Glendale likely has blood on their hands....detective asking a meetup group if theyve seen her?

https://outlooknewspapers.com/officials ... ound-dead/
"Search teams found the body of Narineh Avakian, a 37-year-old Glendale woman, near the Mt. Waterman Trail at around 1:30 p.m. Saturday — six days after her family reported her missing. The Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner determined this week that her manner of death was accidental and due to hypothermia and exposure.......“When she went hiking initially, it was a very fair weather day, so the conditions she encountered on the trail would have been very dry,” explained Sgt. John Gilbert, the search and rescue coordinator for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Crescenta Valley Station. “There would have been very little snow and ice based on which part of the trail she went on....Goldsworthy said his team deployed five search vehicles Thursday afternoon. By the end of the effort, it had ballooned to 25 total search and rescue teams comprising 80 volunteers from local and 17 additional counties involved in the operation. They were joined by two Eurocopter “Super Puma” helicopters with four-person crews each. A three-person crew from China Lake in Kern County ultimately located Avakian’s body."

Also side note on Baldy avalanche........heres the official Angeles Forest tweet.

Dont call the ANF either,
David Martin

Post by David Martin »

Thanks for posting that article.

I've made many trips up there lately and the roads and the trails have gotten MUCH busier in the last couple of weeks. After yesterday's hike we pulled into Red Box to use the rest rooms and saw that SAR teams and emergency vehicles had taken over much of the parking lot. After asking a few bystanders what was going on I found myself talking with an older woman who had become separated from her husband while hiking on the Gabrielino Trail (which is closed). Several hours had already elapsed. I hope he survived ok.

The week before, Kurt and I were driving up ACH before sunrise and saw a wall of flashing blue and red lights about a mile below AFH. An officer explained that it was a auto fatality and that the road would be closed for many hours. There's a little memorial there now. Today I was trying to find info about that and didn't see anything, but came across another article about a car that overturned on Friday, a few miles further up.

I've been surprised by all the recent incidents but I never spent much time in that area before, and maybe it's just normal for up there.