What's the hardest hike you've ever done?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

You must really love to suffer, animule! :twisted:
But then again, you be travellin' light!

Curious, how much water did you carry for the Whitney hike?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

EManBevHills wrote:You must really love to suffer, animule! :twisted:
But then again, you be travellin' light!

Curious, how much water did you carry for the Whitney hike?
We carried 3 liters between us. We replenished at Rock Creek and Crabtree Meadows. At Guitar Lake, we stocked up and were carrying 2 liters each up to the summit. We ended up with nearly half of that at the end. We were evidently pretty well hydrated during the first half of the hike.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

AlanK wrote:
AlanK wrote:My son and I have debated which hikes are the hardest. Having done most of the local ones a bunch of times, the order changes for various reasons. Some contenders, in approximate order, starting with the hardest.

Baldy 9 Peaks: Up Bear Flat, W. Baldy, Baldy, Harwood, the 3T's, Ontario, Bighorn, and Cucamonga, down Ice House Canyon. About 31 miles and 12000' gain/loss.

C2C: Everyone ranks this one high.

San Gorgonio 9 Peaks: Up Momyer, over to San Bernardino, then pick off the peaks in a line, heading down Vivian Creek. About 28 miles and 9000' gain/loss. The first time it seemed harder than C2C, but now it seems about the same.

Iron Mountain from Heaton Flat: The downhill's the worst.

Baldy, Dawson, Pine, Wright from Wrightwood via the Acorn Trail and "The Real Backbone." Plenty of steep up and down.

Bear Flat and Vivian Creek seem rather easy when done alone after doing them as portions of longer hikes! :D

Actually, the John Muir Trail is harder than these but, as mentioned elsewhere, it is not a day hike. Same for the High Sierra Trail.

Our longest day hike ever was the second day of the JMT. We went from Tuolumne Meadows to Mammoth -- about 35 miles. A nice long day but not as hard as the 9 Peaks hikes.

Whitney? Done alone, it may be easier than Iron Mountain. Certainly easier than the 9 Peaks hikes or C2C.
We spent some of our ride back form Lone Pine yesterday discussing this subject. We decided that Whitney from Horseshoe Meadows is the hardest day hike we've done -- 40 miles with mile 29 being the summit of Whitney. Baldy 9 Peaks is still close due to greater elevation gain/loss. Tuolumne Meadows to Mammoth is still easy by comparison to those.
Did you eat GU and or any of the other performance enhancing products on any of the other hikes on your list?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

FIGHT ON wrote:Did you eat GU and or any of the other performance enhancing products on any of the other hikes on your list?
I eat food on a lot of my hikes. 8)
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Alan, I've heard that you take a lot of dihyrdrogen monoxide! That's performance enhancing, isn't it?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Less than many people, more than Rick Kent.
Tim

Post by Tim »

MY GOD!! Dihydrogen monoxide?! On that other hand, it confirms that these guys are not human. They freakin' have a self-sustaining fuel cell reactor in them! :wink:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Monstrous! :lol: Giving these guys a potent performance enhancer like H²O is just wrong. Down with chemicals I say.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

For more information, see the DHMO.org Web page.
Should I be concerned about Dihydrogen Monoxide?

Yes, you should be concerned about DHMO! Although the U.S. Government and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) do not classify Dihydrogen Monoxide as a toxic or carcinogenic substance (as it does with better known chemicals such as hydrochloric acid and benzene), DHMO is a constituent of many known toxic substances, diseases and disease-causing agents, environmental hazards and can even be lethal to humans in quantities as small as a thimbleful.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

From the aformentioned Website:
Has been know to kill over 200, 000 people in less than six hours.
:shock: Wow, this is serious stuff!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

AlanK wrote:
AlanK wrote:My son and I have debated which hikes are the hardest. Having done most of the local ones a bunch of times, the order changes for various reasons. Some contenders, in approximate order, starting with the hardest.

Baldy 9 Peaks: Up Bear Flat, W. Baldy, Baldy, Harwood, the 3T's, Ontario, Bighorn, and Cucamonga, down Ice House Canyon. About 31 miles and 12000' gain/loss.

C2C: Everyone ranks this one high.

San Gorgonio 9 Peaks: Up Momyer, over to San Bernardino, then pick off the peaks in a line, heading down Vivian Creek. About 28 miles and 9000' gain/loss. The first time it seemed harder than C2C, but now it seems about the same.

Iron Mountain from Heaton Flat: The downhill's the worst.

Baldy, Dawson, Pine, Wright from Wrightwood via the Acorn Trail and "The Real Backbone." Plenty of steep up and down.

Bear Flat and Vivian Creek seem rather easy when done alone after doing them as portions of longer hikes! :D

Actually, the John Muir Trail is harder than these but, as mentioned elsewhere, it is not a day hike. Same for the High Sierra Trail.

Our longest day hike ever was the second day of the JMT. We went from Tuolumne Meadows to Mammoth -- about 35 miles. A nice long day but not as hard as the 9 Peaks hikes.

Whitney? Done alone, it may be easier than Iron Mountain. Certainly easier than the 9 Peaks hikes or C2C.
We spent some of our ride back form Lone Pine yesterday discussing this subject. We decided that Whitney from Horseshoe Meadows is the hardest day hike we've done -- 40 miles with mile 29 being the summit of Whitney. Baldy 9 Peaks is still close due to greater elevation gain/loss. Tuolumne Meadows to Mammoth is still easy by comparison to those.
Did you eat GU on any of the other hikes on your list?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Uh oh. He's repeating.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

HikeUp wrote:Uh oh. He's repeating.
Simple question.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

FIGHT ON wrote:Did you eat GU on any of the other hikes on your list?
Is there some issue with GU?
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

AlanK wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote:Did you eat GU on any of the other hikes on your list?
Is there some issue with GU?
Do you eat it on your hikes? Specifically, Did you eat GU on any of the other hikes on your list?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

FIGHT ON wrote:Do you eat it on your hikes? Specifically, Did you eat GU on any of the other hikes on your list?
I'm researching it. So far, I am pretty sure I have never eaten any glycol borate, at least not intentionally. Also, I am not, and have never been, in Guam.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

AlanK wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote:Do you eat it on your hikes? Specifically, Did you eat GU on any of the other hikes on your list?
I'm researching it. So far, I am pretty sure I have never eaten any glycol borate, at least not intentionally. Also, I am not, and have never been, in Guam.
The GU in your trip report. http://www.mt-whitney.info/viewtopic.php?p=11246#11246

After lunch, of course, came the long slog up Whitney. We have done Whitney from the back only once. That was on the final day of our JMT hike a couple of years ago. Then we started at Wallace Creek and it would have been a breeze had I not been nursing an ankle sprain. This time was harder -- no pain or injuries – no excuses, just tiredness after 20+ miles of hiking on a short night and an early start. Thank God for GU. I was not feeling all that energetic up the switchbacks, but at least I knew I could do them before the next stop. We had slowed up, but were still moving well enough that there was no question about going for the summit. We finally made it at around 3:20 PM. Getting there that late meant that the crowds had thinned and we only saw three people during our relaxed stay on top.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AlanK wrote:Also, I am not, and have never been, in Guam.
I have. Doubt it would help you hike any faster.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

HikeUp wrote:
I have. doubt it would help you hike any faster.
Do they still have those brown tree snakes that cause lots of power outages?
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

HikeUp wrote:
I have. doubt it would help you hike any faster.
No. I'm asking AlanK about the GU that he wrote about in his trip report. http://www.mt-whitney.info/viewtopic.php?p=11246#11246
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AlanK wrote:
HikeUp wrote:
I have. Doubt it would help you hike any faster.
Do they still have those brown tree snakes that cause lots of power outages?
LOL.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

AlanK has a twisted sense of humor. For some reason, he is being an uncooperative witness. There should be a judge to threaten him with contempt, but there isn't.

I think the problem is that he doesn't believe that it matters if he ate GU or not in some hike from the past. He responds to logic, though. Maybe he can be convinced that is is relevant to something. Yeah... that'd work. Tha DA approach definitely won't cut it.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AlanK wrote:AlanK has a twisted sense of humor. For some reason, he is being an uncooperative witness. There should be a judge to threaten him with contempt, but there isn't.

I think the problem is that he doesn't believe that it matters if he ate GU or not in some hike from the past. He responds to logic, though. Maybe he can be convinced that is is relevant to something. Yeah... that'd work. Tha DA approach definitely won't cut it.
Just tell him you used the GU to prevent your nipples from chafing. Maybe he will stop cutting holes in his shirt.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

I am no DA :lol: I simply wanted to know about the GU that AlanK has posted in his last hike. It's a simple question. Kinda like how much water do you carry and such. What's with the big run around??

Post by 406 »

For just hiking, no rope but did use one ice axe, I think my hardest was McDonald Peak in the Mission Mountains from Valley floor on the Reservation side as a day trip.
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -peak.html

"The Missions receive copious precipitation that nourishes not only a deep, long-lasting snowpack on the peaks, but a dense jungle of vegetation below the snowline. There is no trail up this big mountain, and getting to treeline is 3/4ths the battle. There are approaches from both east and west that, to a certain extent, minimize the bushwhacking below treeline, but be warned—this peak, from any direction, under any conditions, at any time, is a lot of work."

"And never, ever, EVER forget you're in grizzly country; they insist on being left alone—disagreement on that point is not an argument you'll win!"

Post by 406 »

2nd is Granite Peak via Froze to Death plateau...
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -peak.html

Why?
Altitude sickness and boulder hopping, also freeing 5 class with ~1000 fall potential, getting lost, oh and a thunderstorm also. Forgot to mention the snow bridge, Taco would love that:
http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... _id=308360
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

406 wrote:"And never, ever, EVER forget you're in grizzly country; they insist on being left alone—disagreement on that point is not an argument you'll win!"
:shock: You got that right :shock:

Post by 406 »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
406 wrote:"And never, ever, EVER forget you're in grizzly country; they insist on being left alone—disagreement on that point is not an argument you'll win!"
:shock: You got that right :shock:
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

AlanK wrote:AlanK has a twisted sense of humor. For some reason, he is being an uncooperative witness. There should be a judge to threaten him with contempt, but there isn't.

Oh really? "doesn't believe that it matters if he ate GU or not in some hike from the past."??
Thanking God that you had GU sure does sound like it didn't matter! :lol:

And then "Maybe he can be convinced that is is relevant to something."
Again, thanking God that you had GU? Seriously, sure sounds like it was "relevant" to your hike!

and finally "He responds to logic, though." :lol:
If eating it didn't matter and was irrelevant, then why did you eat it?
Where is the logic in that?

From AllanK TR.
"After lunch, of course, came the long slog up Whitney. We have done Whitney from the back only once. That was on the final day of our JMT hike a couple of years ago. Then we started at Wallace Creek and it would have been a breeze had I not been nursing an ankle sprain. This time was harder -- no pain or injuries – no excuses, just tiredness after 20+ miles of hiking on a short night and an early start. Thank God for GU. I was not feeling all that energetic up the switchbacks, but at least I knew I could do them before the next stop. We had slowed up, but were still moving well enough that there was no question about going for the summit. We finally made it at around 3:20 PM. Getting there that late meant that the crowds had thinned and we only saw three people during our relaxed stay on top."
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I am still confused as to why my use or non-use of GU on some past hike is important to this forum. I freely admit that I am pulling someone's chain by failing to publish in this space a complete accounting of my GU consumption. However, I provided in my TR enough information to answer the question of whether or not I eat GU on hikes. Some posters (e.g., Hikin_Jim) have picked up on that fact, although I doubt that they care about the answer.

1. One can conclude that "Thank God for GU" implies consumption of GU on our recent Horseshoe Meadows hike.

2. I hope that everyone here knows that I have the minimal intelligence to not use some product for the first time on the hardest day hike of my life. If you don't know that" I will assert here that it is true that I am at least that smart.

QED.

That's about all there is to say, although I will add that I think that GU is a fine product and heartily recommend it to others for its intended use.