Bear Canyon to Baldy 07/26/08

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

This is a pretty tough hike! Started at the Visitor Center at 8:15, made it up at 11. A nice trail to be able to see views both to the east and west at different spots.

For me the trail was not as painful as Heaton Trail to Iron b/c there was much less loose scree to deal with up and down. My legs felt normal yesterday and today, unlike that previous hike.

This is a perfect training hike as its hard, good elevation gain, and I don't have dread of doing it again.

I think it's impossible for me to stay totally hydrated on this hike. I packed 6 L of water which still wasn't enough. My bag already weighs enough, don't need anymore weight to do this hike!

http://picasaweb.google.com/jmunaretto/ ... yonToBaldy
simonov

Post by simonov »

That's looks like a particularly grueling route to the top, especially as viewed from Ontario Peak across the canyon:

I'm looking forward to doing this hike myself, but I believe I will be doing it later in the year. Also, I like getting on the trail at dawn, or earlier. Six liters of water is a lot for a day hike.

PS: I noticed from elsewhere in your photo albums your LA hiking group sure has a lot more hotties in it than my OC group. Maybe I need to switch groups.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

We need some hotties, damnit. I don't see anyone, just old guys who ask me if I have crampons while I've got a full rack and ice tools on the top of my pack.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

JMunaretto wrote:I think it's impossible for me to stay totally hydrated on this hike. I packed 6 L of water which still wasn't enough. My bag already weighs enough, don't need anymore weight to do this hike!
The Chocolate Milk Man told me last week that you can start hydrating a few days before these hikes. Drink more water than you usually do a few days before. I am going to try that next week. I forgot this week.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

JMunaretto wrote:This is a pretty tough hike! Started at the Visitor Center at 8:15, made it up at 11. A nice trail to be able to see views both to the east and west at different spots.

For me the trail was not as painful as Heaton Trail to Iron b/c there was much less loose scree to deal with up and down. My legs felt normal yesterday and today, unlike that previous hike.

This is a perfect training hike as its hard, good elevation gain, and I don't have dread of doing it again.

I think it's impossible for me to stay totally hydrated on this hike. I packed 6 L of water which still wasn't enough. My bag already weighs enough, don't need anymore weight to do this hike!
That's fast. I bet you could do it faster next time you hike it just because you know what to expect now. I want to be able to do it in 2:30 some day. Maybe I'm too old but I can try! I wonder what is the fastest time is? Like 45 minutes? By a nine year old girl? :lol: I also believe you could do iron w/o any problem now. You are in better shape now. Well you should be. Go back and see!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

simonov wrote:That's looks like a particularly grueling route to the top, especially as viewed from Ontario Peak across the canyon:I'm looking forward to doing this hike myself, but I believe I will be doing it later in the year. Also, I like getting on the trail at dawn, or earlier. Six liters of water is a lot for a day hike.
simonov. It's hard! But not ridiculous like Iron. It's just a steep trail for a long time. Then it gets flatter near the top. Can't believe you have never been on that trail. I'm excited for you dude! Especially that you like to hike solo and before the sun comes up. Looks like sunrise is around 6 am these days so start no later than 5:30. (Start at 5 dude!) This way you get away from the sun killing you on that part shown in your picture from Ontario Peak. Also hardly anyone starts that early. Which is the best on your first time. To be alone.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

simonov wrote: PS: I noticed from elsewhere in your photo albums your LA hiking group sure has a lot more hotties in it than my OC group. Maybe I need to switch groups.
Yes it has a pleasant diversity that I cannot complain about!
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

FIGHT ON wrote: The Chocolate Milk Man told me last week that you can start hydrating a few days before these hikes. Drink more water than you usually do a few days before. I am going to try that next week. I forgot this week.
Yeah I mean I drink a lot of water the days before and was hydrated prior, and I didn't have any problems from loss of water, but when it starts coming out dark yellow, that's not a good sign!

Next time I do this hike I might just go alone and see if I can do it under 2.5 hrs. Should be close but pretty sure I can. Of course it also depends, where is the "start" of the trail supposed to be?
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

JMunaretto wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote: The Chocolate Milk Man told me last week that you can start hydrating a few days before these hikes. Drink more water than you usually do a few days before. I am going to try that next week. I forgot this week.
Yeah I mean I drink a lot of water the days before and was hydrated prior, and I didn't have any problems from loss of water, but when it starts coming out dark yellow, that's not a good sign!

Next time I do this hike I might just go alone and see if I can do it under 2.5 hrs. Should be close but pretty sure I can. Of course it also depends, where is the "start" of the trail supposed to be?

You started way WAY too late. Got to start before the sun comes up. Like 5. I'm serious! Nice and cool. You know the trail now. Park at Ice House Canyon Parking Lot and walk down to the white gate next to the Smokey Bear Fire Sign. That's the starting line. Go past it and then turn left the first chance you get were the sign is and then you have to jump another small white gate and then go right on that paved road. Then you can rest after your sub 2.5 and then do the backbone trail and just keep on a goin up and do the 3-T loop and down Ice House Canyon. (oh yeah, you don't like long hikes) boooo. I bet you don't get dehydrated though. I was following these two people for a while last time I hiked it and they were constantly sipping out of their camelbacks. Little sips as they went. I guess your body absorbs more of the same amount if you simulate an IV rather than drink when you are thirsty. Maybe it's too late if you get thirsty. oh and no caffeine dude. or those goo squeezy stimulants, red bull things. grounds for immediate disqualification. :lol:
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

TacoDelRio wrote:We need some hotties, damnit. I don't see anyone, just old guys who ask me if I have crampons while I've got a full rack and ice tools on the top of my pack.
Hey! Don't be blaming US for that. Ever seen J with stuff on his shirt? Now Taco, You remember what happened in the supermarket? You think you would have learned but last time I saw you were under a car with GREASE ALL OVER YOURSELF! WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Chicks dig guys who can fix stuff.

Too bad I suck at fixing stuff. :lol: