MUIR PK AND INSPIRATION POINT

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

A week ago Wednesday, I hiked with my friend Jenny. She's never been to Eaton Saddle or hiked any of the surrounding trails. So this was my opportunity to show off the restored Tom Sloan Trail and the new connector leading to the Alpine Tavern & campsite. Even though Sean and I checked out the connector trail and Mt. Lowe the previous day. I made a slight change in our destination. This time I included Mt. Muir and Inspiration Point.
We were surrounded by beautiful clouds the entire day.
20190515_091931.jpg

My favorite sections of the Tom Sloan trail.
20190515_092600-001.jpg

20190515_092809.jpg

Another rock staircase on the new connector trail and the lovely shaded area.
20190515_102934.jpg

20190515_103051.jpg

After visiting the cabin ruins and Spencers Lookout we stopped for a quick break at the campsite, bagged Muir Peak and had lunch under the
veranda at Inspiration Point. Below is a view of Panorama Point from Muir Peak.
Our route started at Eaton Saddle~Bear Canyon~Tom Sloan Saddle~TST~new connector trail~Alpine Taverne site~Muir Pk~Inspiration Point then returning via the Mt. Lowe Road back to our cars. Total of 11 miles.
IMG_1477.jpg
20190515_083715.jpg
20190515_122851.jpg
IMG_1513-001.jpg
20190515_112844.jpg
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

Those stone steps are awesome! I need to get myself out on that trail and check it out.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Nice! You're lucky the clouds were so low. It seems like they're usually a little higher. And I gotta hit Muir -- I've never done it.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I've never been to Muir either. Or Mt Lowe.... And I didn't get this call about heading up there. :(
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

JeffH wrote: I've never been to Muir either. Or Mt Lowe.... And I didn't get this call about heading up there. :(
I am more than willing to go back. I love the trails around Eaton Saddle. Let me know when you are available. If anyone else would like to go let me know. I am not available this weekend.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Girl Hiker wrote:
JeffH wrote: I've never been to Muir either. Or Mt Lowe.... And I didn't get this call about heading up there. :(
I am more than willing to go back. I love the trails around Eaton Saddle. Let me know when you are available. If anyone else would like to go let me know. I am not available this weekend.
Any time for me, let me know when you're in the area. :)
Of course traffic will delay me getting to Lake Ave early on a weekday or else it's a very long way around via Wrightwood to Eaton Saddle.
Donald Shimoda
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

.oops
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

JeffH wrote:
Girl Hiker wrote:
Any time for me, let me know when you're in the area. :)
Of course traffic will delay me getting to Lake Ave early on a weekday or else it's a very long way around via Wrightwood to Eaton Saddle.
Jeff, you live in the Claremont area, right? You can go west on 210 towards La Canada via highway 2 to ACH and avoid going around to Wrightwood.
Anyways, I was thinking of hitting all 3 peaks Muir, Lowe, and Inspiration. We could start at Eaton Saddle and hike on the two newer trails that the Restoration Crew worked on to bag these peaks.
It would be a loop hike and probably about 11-12 miles round trip.
If anyone else is interested we could make it a group hike and it would have to be on a weekend unless I play hooky from work. Just kidding.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Maybe the weekend of 15-16th?
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Going to Hwy 2 in La Canada is the same traffic (only more of it) that I would face just going to Lake Ave to ascend via Sam Merrill trail. Going via Wrightwood is opposite of the usual traffic flow.
Shouldn't you also include Markham since it's right next to Lowe?
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

JeffH wrote: Going to Hwy 2 in La Canada is the same traffic (only more of it) that I would face just going to Lake Ave to ascend via Sam Merrill trail. Going via Wrightwood is opposite of the usual traffic flow.
My plan was to start at Eaton saddle hiking to MRkham then taking the new trails to the old tavern site. I have a loop hine in mind that would include all 3 peaks or just 2 of them. If Antony wants to go I was going to add Muir for him and Lowe for you. We could also stop at Inspiration.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

OK with me.
And I assumed you always played hooky on Wednesdays to hike with your other group. :)
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

JeffH wrote: OK with me.
And I assumed you always played hooky on Wednesdays to hike with your other group. :)

Jeff,
First of all sorry for the typos. I type so fast. Damn auto correct! lol
Anyways, June 15th works for me. I will post a group hike sometime later today.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

JeffH wrote: Going to Hwy 2 in La Canada is the same traffic (only more of it) that I would face just going to Lake Ave to ascend via Sam Merrill trail. Going via Wrightwood is opposite of the usual traffic flow.
I can and I have been to Markham but it would be a lot of steep climbing if we did all 4 peaks. Hell, why don't we add San Gabriel Pk & Mt. Disappointment? just kidding. That would be a very long day. We can always return another day. I know so many routes around that area. Anyways, I will post a group hike to see what peaks we can add in the mix. For sure we will do Mt. Lowe.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Markham, Lowe, San Gabriel, Disappointment and Deception is (was) a common peak-bagger extravaganza. It involves a lot of re-tracing of steps and could probably be done by you guys in 5 hours.

http://www.simpsoncity.com/hiking/sangabriel.html

But you do miss out on some of your goals of going down to Inspiration point, taking the new trails, doing a nice loop, etc.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Claremont to Eaton Saddle is about 50 miles if you take 210 to La Canada. About 92 miles if you go through Wrightwood.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

HikeUp wrote: Claremont to Eaton Saddle is about 50 miles if you take 210 to La Canada. About 92 miles if you go through Wrightwood.
On a weekday morning they may be about the same time, with 210-15-138-2 less frustrating.
Anyway, C is planning on a weekend so that works out.
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Group hike is posted.