Lessons learned on Sawtooth Mountain (Sierra Pelonas)

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

All seasoned hikers have made bad decisions at some point, as was the case for me on Sunday during a trip to Sawtooth Mountain in the Sierra Pelonas.

Without checking a proper weather report (mistake #1), I embarked on a solo mission to Sawtooth relatively late in the day (mistake #2). I had wanted to bag it for a while; I did Burnt Peak in October and Liebre Mountain in June and really enjoyed the remoteness of the area. It's a nice change from the San Gabriels.

After driving up 7N23, which was in relatively good shape considering the recent storms, I parked at the saddle junction with 7N23A, 7N08, and the PCT. When I approached it, I saw a backpacker cross the road on the PCT. I always get a warm and fuzzy feeling when I see a backpacker on the PCT. That was the last human -- and warm and fuzzy feeling -- that I experienced until later that evening.

I parked and eagerly headed out on 7N08. The first 1.7 miles is an easy walk. That all changes when you hit the firebreak though, which is a steep rollercoaster ride to the peak. Unlike the break to Mt. Sally, which I recently had the pleasure of bushwhacking through, the break to Sawtooth is mostly clear. I had no issues navigating or passing through it. It's pretty damn steep in spots, though. In my experience, the only breaks that compare with it in terms of steepness are that of Mt. Lawlor and Bare Mountain.

At that point, it started to lightly hail and snow. The sky was clear in various directions though, so I decided to push on, thinking that the hail and snow wouldn't amount to much (mistake #3). Had my girlfriend been with me, she probably would've convinced me to turn back. And in the back of my head, I knew it was risky to keep going. But, I figured I would move quickly and not lallygag at the summit.

Eventually, the hail and snow stopped and I reached the summit (giving me a false sense of security). I signed the register (the last signing was nearly two months ago) and took in the expansive views to the south and southeast. Without wasting time, I headed northeast back to my truck.

That's when I noticed it: the sky in the area where I parked had very low visibility, and the slopes were white. IT WAS SNOWING. I had been looking back occasionally while traveling to the peak, but apparently, I didn't notice that a snowstorm had moved in. Wups.

That's when I panicked and the adrenaline kicked in.

1. I had no idea how much snow had fallen where I parked and on the route back.

2. I hadn't seen anyone the entire hike. I could've very well been the only person in the area, except for the backpacker who was probably many miles away by now.

3. Part of the way back was on a steep rollercoaster break. It would be challenging to ascend and descend it in slippery conditions.

4. My truck is 2WD, and even if I was able to get back to it, I might not be able to drive down the forest road to the flatter and paved main road at Bushnell Summit (Pine Canyon Road).

Feeling panicked, I started rushing back. But after a few minutes, I realized that rushing down a steep break was a bad idea, so I slowed down while still moving quickly.

Then, while ascending the next bump, I heard a growl that I've never heard before from the bushes. Without hesitation, I began shouting at whatever creature was growling, and I whipped out my fixed blade knife. I slowly walked backward up the steep incline while facing the area where I heard the growl. It was a tricky and exhausting ascent, but I didn't hear any growls after that.

I was making progress, but eventually, I reached the outer edge of the storm, and it started to hail. It accumulated quickly. At that point, my panic reached its pinnacle. I kept wondering: how much hail is going to accumulate? How slippery will the ground get? Will the hail turn to snow? Will I make it off this ridge?

On the ridge
On the ridge

One of three major bumps
One of three major bumps

Thankfully, I remembered some crucial advice from Les Stroud a.k.a. Survivorman: if you start panicking, take an inventory of everything that you have. Doing so will help you calm down. In my case, I had some essential survival gear: warm and waterproof clothing, an emergency bivy, a knife, various fire starters, water and food, a headlamp, a compass, topographic maps, and a satellite messenger. I contemplated using the latter for the first time ever.

Going through my inventory made me realize that if it came down to it, I could stay overnight on the ridge and survive (thanks, Survivorman). Obviously, I didn't want to stay on the ridge, so I kept pushing with the goal of at least making it to my truck so I could stay in it overnight. I would deal with the prospect of driving down the forest road to the main road later.

Thankfully (again), the hail was surprisingly un-slippery, and I was able to get to 7N08 without any trouble. My truck was only 1.7 miles away on a clear and relatively even road. It was a big milestone reaching that point; I yelled with joy. That said, the weather had now turned to snow, and there was about 1-2 inches on the road. Nevertheless, with the ridge behind me and a fairly easy walk ahead, my prospects had greatly improved.

7N08
7N08

I got back to my truck quickly and was feeling better about my situation. I cranked the engine, let it idle for a minute, put it into the lowest gear, and embarked on the final leg of my journey: driving down a relatively steep and windy forest road covered in about 1-2 inches of snow with a 2WD vehicle. I knew it was risky, but I had to give it a shot. If things got too sketchy, I would stop my car and stay there overnight.

My trusty 4Runner (Burnt Peak in the background)
My trusty 4Runner (Burnt Peak in the background)

It was a long five miles. I drove as slow as possible while maintaining just enough speed to go over bumps without getting stuck. I only lost control a couple of times, and it wasn't that bad. All of the off-road and snow driving with my father as a child paid off. I could hear him guiding me down the mountain. I should also credit the forest service for doing a fantastic job of maintaining the road. There was a tall and wide dirt "curb" along the edge of most of the road.

Eventually, I arrived at Pine Canyon Road, which meant I was pretty much home free. I didn't have time to celebrate though, as I immediately spotted a sedan that was struggling to get by. I jumped out and asked the driver if he needed help. He said he lived nearby and would walk home, but he wanted to push his car to the side of the road. After pushing his car to the side, I hopped in my truck and gleefully and cautiously drove to lower and rainier elevations.

Back to civilization (Pine Canyon Road)
Back to civilization (Pine Canyon Road)

Milage: 7.4
Elev gain: 1,988 ft
Recording: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recor ... 10-6-31-pm
View from the summit
View from the summit
View from the summit
View from the summit
Yucca-guarded register
Yucca-guarded register
Final approach to the summit
Final approach to the summit
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Glad you made it back ok and learned some things!
Without checking a proper weather report (mistake #1)
We've all made this mistake before. I always email my wife a written trip plan using a template I created that includes a basic trip plan, weather, route, times, and satellite messenger plan. Having to write it out for somebody else forces me to think about it for myself and is a good way to develop the habit. Weather was a late addition to my template after some sub optimal trips!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

headsizeburrito wrote: Glad you made it back ok and learned some things!
We've all made this mistake before. I always email my wife a written trip plan using a template I created that includes a basic trip plan, weather, route, times, and satellite messenger plan. Having to write it out for somebody else forces me to think about it for myself and is a good way to develop the habit. Weather was a late addition to my template after some sub optimal trips!
I always email or text message at least one person where I'm going and when I expect to get to back. A more detailed plan is a great idea though!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

headsizeburrito wrote: Glad you made it back ok and learned some things!
After a few mistakes of my own, this is also part of my routine. I update my hiking plan for my wife (shared google doc) so she knows where I am and what time to expect me back. I don't document the weather in my plan, but I always check it. I also give myself some slack on time if it's a totally new area or I expect rough terrain.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Which service(s) do you guys use to check weather? I usually check the NWS' zone area forecasts. I obviously didn't on Sunday...

eg: https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=CAZ054
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

Glad nothing came of that growl. I would have been so scared. I never bring a blade aside from the 1 incher from from the gerber. Hmmm...
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

ReFreshing wrote: Glad nothing came of that growl. I would have been so scared. I never bring a blade aside from the 1 incher from from the gerber. Hmmm...
My adrenaline was already pumping because of the snow storm, so I didn't really get scared by the growl. I thought to myself, "fuck, now THIS?!" and followed the protocol. That said, I kept looking over my shoulder and yelling in that direction every few minutes for a couple miles. I wish I had footage of that. I must've looked like a lunatic.

Btw, I've been carrying a fixed blade knife on most hikes since I came face to face with a 400-500 lb black bear in Santa Anita Canyon a few years ago. I don't know how much it would help in a bear or lion attack, but at least I'd have something.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

That was a lot of snow in a short period of time. Quite the adventure out there, glad you were able to navigate your way back OK - good lesson in here.
Plus you got the nice views from the summit!
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
missy

Post by missy »

Holy crap! What an adventure! And a growl too! Seems like a perfect setting for an adventure movie! Glad you made it safe. It cracked me up when you shouted of joy! Totally know the feeling! This adventure is one for the books! :-)