Upper Bear Creek, Azusa canyon.... Above the narrows and falls

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
wheninROAM

Post by wheninROAM »

Hey all... Im preppin a write up on last weeks adventure down bear creek through its narrows... Not over smith saddle...but down to west fork... Anywho... Has anyone else been down?? Have a question or two of what you may have or havent seen there... Please let me know... But if not... Stand by.... Pics and recent info to come...
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

This is what I did in there.

buckhorn-to-peak-6320-bear-creek-t7056.html

We didn't drop too far down the fork. Our goal was Peak 6320.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

If you are referring to thee narrows, I was there 2 years ago? It was pristine at the time, hope it stays that way. Above that it was uninteresting, so I didnt go much further.
wheninROAM

Post by wheninROAM »

Sorry for such a delayed write-up. I ended up getting “down with the sickness.” Doing anything, let alone remembering the fun and excitement I had, was too much to “bear.” Today I fulfill my promise, albeit not as great as I once imagined… damn you sickness.

Jolted to life by the obnoxious beeping of the unwelcome alarm, we quickly got dressed and double checked our gear. While I packed our crap in the cars, my lady called Dennys. We were thrilled at the thought of a decent meal that early without having to cook a single thing. Not so much as we are lazy…. This is winter so time is EVERYTHING! You can call or as we ended having to do order online (due to their incompetent early morning staff) 24/7! “Well hot dang! Lets give it a shot babe!”( After a shitty overall experience with them… we will be straying from any future rendezvous there. )I fed the fish and we were off to pick up this amazing breakfast to eat at the trailhead!

Our drive up the canyon to West Fork to drop off the first car at our exit point was done with surprising haste. These mountains are so much more enjoyable when you don’t have to deal with the hordes of…. Uneducated people… that flock to this canyon! We were still making great time towards the top until we came to a Cal Trans road closure before soldier creek and where the road gets narrow. This place is common for washouts and rockslides. Well we just had rain in the area Thursday and Friday and figured there’s got to be a decent slide on the road… Ok… Don’t panic… yet… “Break out the breakfast babe! Lets Utilize this time… Sorry we aren’t watching the sun rise and eating this high quality breakfast at the top!” After all this wasn’t supposed to a romantic outing. I’m here for a good old fashioned ass whoop. I tend to go on longer, more dangerous less known adventures when life is getting to me. It’s my way of releasing stress. After a few minutes of chowing down that food Cal Trans opened the road. Come to find out… had we been any earlier we would have waited a long time for whatever work they were doing. Off we go! Or so we thought… The only vehicle in front of us just happen to be one of those kind, friendly and unhelpful rangers who occupy the booth, I mean visitor center at Crystal Lake. Well this kind gentleman decided we didn’t look like the savvy type and needed to be control for some odd reason. The only reason I say this is because he spent more time gazing at me in the mirrors than watching the road. We were doing only 15 to 30mph all the way Crystal Lake! And this is the reason I avoid the crowded areas… Stupidity! We eventually reach the end of the road and park in the giant turn out there. There were a few people taking pictures of the clouds and sunrise above the land far below. Those heavy rain clouds made things look awesome! We enjoyed a couple more bites of food and it was finally time to get on our feet!

As soon as we opened the door the bitter cold instantly took hold. It was 7:20am and about 40 something degrees! There was a crazy wind that probably had wind-chill easily towards 20 degrees! We had every layer we packed on. I ended up having to use a bandana as a face mask even. Both my lady and I ended up with chapped lips from that howling wind! The road is closed approx. 2 miles further south than in Brennen’s write-up, but we knew this. It’s an easy walk as long as you don’t have 75 mph wind gusts! This had to easily be the coldest day of 2018 by far. There was a beautiful dusting of snow on peaks off highway 2. And the scenery made you feel like you were really in the middle of nowhere. Not in Los Angeles!

1.jpg

2.jpg

We ended up dropping in to Bear using Brennen’s description. There was a few other ways I saw on the map that had potential. Being as its winter so light is very minimum, it’s cold and I had to worry about someone else. It wasn’t just me; I can’t put people in stupid positions… let alone my lady! So I decided to take the known route. There is absolutely ZERO info online other than Brennen’s. We did not drop directly down the top of the scree as I figured it’d probably be steep. We started a little south of the scree by a water drainage pipe, not far from the old dynamite shack. There were numerous animal trails to follow. We made our way over to the scree and descended just to the side of it until we were force to enter the wash at the bottom of the scree.
3.jpg

The wash is open and easy going. It is pretty steep for the majority all the way to the bottom. There are numerous game trails the criss cross the wash the entire time as well. All dry falls and obstacles are easily down climbed or bypassed. Everything seems clogged and filled in without the consistent water flows that we used to have. Once towards the bottom trying to follow Brennen’s write-up is a little confusing. Luckily there is good use trails to follow. On a side note; be careful in this area. There is lots of evidence there are grow operations in the area. If you go you will see. And unfortunately we did come across some of their items. It had washed out of small gully between two of the larger canyons. Pretty wild. Explains all the use trails and why they are so well worn.

We reached a point in the wash were the canyon turn left and there was a pinch point with a drop. We didn’t walk down to see how big the drop was as there was a good trail that went to the right and over a small ridge. The trail dropped down into another canyon where water runs. You will immediately pass the wash and small (out of view) waterfall from where you were previously.(Pictured)
4.jpg

Further down you come to another smaller waterfall. There was an older use trail that went up and over the right ridge again, but we went left of the waterfall. Taking care, the first part is a little exposed and then a trail appears behind a bush and goes at an upward angle. This trail traverses slightly up and over to where a good use trail comes in on the left. We went right and climbed to the streambed below that small fall. There is another fall below this one. Luckily there is a well-worn trail again, up and over the right ridge. There are two use trails at the top of the ridge. We went left and contoured down. The other trail goes straight and ended up in the same spot as the other. I wasn’t confident where that straight trail was going to end up. It looked like it was going over to some side gully. It was also the much more used trail of the two. BUT that was the direction I could see what I perceived to be grow op trash (sure enough it was after inspection later). Downstream of all that you finally come to your last falls. We again didn’t get near the top as the use trail took off to the right before the fall. The trail goes up the ridge. It almost feels like back tracking a few feet but follow up the steep ridge for a few feet and then a heavily used and treaded use trail traverses across the slope. It starts to go down and at one point is 30 or 40 ft. above the canyon floor. You can climb down here as we did, but the use trail did continue to contour probably on into bear creek itself at a much gentler rate. But I wanted to see this awesome fall we were skirting. We had our first real break of the day here at the base of these falls.
5.jpg

It took us about 3.5 hours of meandering down this wash and its obstacles to Bear Creek. This by far was the longest stretch of the day. Everything else moved so much faster.

At the bottom of the canyon where it joins Bear Creek drainage there is a very good use trail that went right (upstream) and a decent one downstream. There was also a deep pool that I suspect the farmers use as their bath tub.
6.jpg

We of course went down as we were there to see the narrows not the farms. The trail was actually a welcome site as much as I hated to admit it. It was enabling us to make up some time we lost messing around on the drop in. But its only there because of the farmers… not visitors like you and I unfortunately. Brennen describes numerous sandy benches and that’s not the case anymore. It’s pretty overgrown in there. It’s not choking but it’s not wide open like its far bottom reaches towards west fork. Either take a hammock or be prepared to do major work to clear a spot to camp. Glad we decided on a fast day trip to scout this before we decided to camp.
7.jpg

After a while we passed the unnamed tributaries that run into Bear Creek and add to its volume. The first one you pass is on the left. This is a canyon I looked at as a possible drop in point. Looks like it’s doable with the gear of course and id be cautious of what or who is in there. Then you pass the one on the right. This canyon is much larger than the left one. It would be fun to explore up there. You can see how and why the Grizzly thrived up here. Hence how the canyon/creek got its name
7a.jpg

. A little further down canyon you come to the first waterfall. It literally appears out of nowhere. You don’t expect it to be there as you aren’t even in the actual narrows yet! It’s only about 12 ft. on either side. We used the small tree/bush on the left on the exposed face. We wrapped a piece of webbing around it and climbed down. Our ankles got wet. That’s about it. The big deep pool that’s supposed to be there is filled in with scree debris unfortunately. We really need major rains! We rested and had our lunch here knowing the fun was about to begin, but also we were only about half way to our car now.
8.jpg

We finally shoved off again. Not long we were officially in the narrows. This is now one of my favorite places. It’s absolutely gorgeous. I wish it were a bit longer! We got to the “dark defile” that Brennen explains and were shocked with awe! It’s really hard to picture what he describes in the write up. It is a very cool place and you should definety take the time to look around the top of it. But be very cautious as it’s VERY slippery and smooth. The use trail goes around to the left of this obstacle. The “defile” would be fun to try in the summer with the correct canyon gear.The small slot for the water is where Im pointing on the right. This picture doesn't do it justice. Its hard to make out everything. You'll just have to see for yourself!
9.JPG
wheninROAM

Post by wheninROAM »

10.JPG

11.JPG

Not far from the “defile” you reach what I consider “Bear Creek Falls.” It’s the largest falls in Bear. This is the point where you can hike up from the bottom. There is supposed to be a use trail around this fall but it looked way up and VERY steep to try and chance it this late in the day. It was much easier to use our rope and climb down. It’s about a 20 foot rap. The pool is much deeper than the smaller first fall. If you’re going to get wet at any point this will probably be the spot as the pool is large.
12.JPG
13.JPG

Below these falls the narrows begin to open a bit. It gets less and less exciting the further you progress. Eventually you come upon the upper Bear Creek “Camp.” It’s marked by giant boulders on the left side of the canyon. It’s hard to see it if you don’t know where it’s at. Brennen for some reason went up and over smith saddle here. I’m not too much of a fan for long drawn out up hills. I decided it would be best for our adventure and continue to West Fork instead. The trail from the trail camp had been very recently worked. It was easy to follow. They even put up tape with reflective marks on it for night time travel. It was ironic as it was starting to get dark enough our headlamps were on. We could see tape markers very far down the canyon at times.
Once that trail meets west Bear Creek it was no longer worked. It still is very easy to follow. We reached the point in the canyon where it opens up at dark. Thankfully I know this trail like the back of my hand. It is very hard to follow the trail here if you are not familiar with this area. I do not recommend any of Bear in the dark if you’re not familiar with it. The rest of the way out was very uneventful. It was dark. Quiet. Cold again. There was no one camping at cabin ruins or the lower trail camp. We made it back to the car a little after 8pm. In the end we did approx. 14 miles in just under 13 hours. It was a long fun day. I’m looking forward to doing it some day when it’s warm and I can enjoy those nice pools up there.

Sorry this is so long. Ive always been just a "lurker in the shadows" around here. Ive enjoyed many write-ups by many of you. I have also gotten more ideas or different opinions on things I wanted or thought I want to see. I felt I needed to give back to this awesome community on here. The problem was there was always a report on something. EXCEPT this one it seems... and judging by the response not many even here have been out this way. This was my chance finally! Hope you enjoy!

- RoamIN
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the great write-up. Now you have me all curious about the dark defile. I bet it's full of the bodies of hikers who ran into angry farmers. BTW - I moved this topic to the Trip Reports section, but a link will remain in News & Conditions for a little while.
wheninROAM

Post by wheninROAM »

Sean wrote: Thanks for the great write-up. Now you have me all curious about the dark defile. I bet it's full of the bodies of hikers who ran into angry farmers. BTW - I moved this topic to the Trip Reports section, but a link will remain in News & Conditions for a little while.
Thank you! Obviously a newb! ?
dima

Post by dima »

Thanks for the report! I want to go check out that area now.
wheninROAM

Post by wheninROAM »

Please do! The more traffic that goes through there maybe it will push those unsavory folks away... Have fun in there! It kind of reminds me of a smaller iron fork adventure. Saw lots of cat evidence... Both large and small. And the usual bear pie every now and then... But no wildlife to report. It was probably too cold for them as well! Let me know how your trip goes!
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Great story! What did you have for breakfast?
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Thats thee narrows...yup. I wouldnt consider any part of it too hard. Its not like easy peasy, but the downclimbs Id say are about 5 out of 10...if that much. Its like if you can do lower Hermit pools then it should be fine. Depends on waterflow too.
The place where no human can go, the defile, simply requires going in water briefly...the thing about that early tr was that it was Brennan's first adventure hike with his students so as far as technical accuracy....
http://www.dankat.com/mstory/sangab.htm

As far as what I would say about more traffic, i would speak up and say why ruin it? Its a place to be discovered if you are ready to be there. Its not like 5&6 stars but its gets traffic. Its hardly secret...theres a video on it with many views.
wheninROAM

Post by wheninROAM »

JeffH wrote: Great story! What did you have for breakfast?

We got the "everyday value slam." There is no value in that food! Spent the next day as close to a restroom as possible! ? Pretty sure it had to be those "fresh cracked" eggs.
wheninROAM

Post by wheninROAM »

AW wrote: Thats thee narrows...yup. I wouldnt consider any part of it too hard. Its not like easy peasy, but the downclimbs Id say are about 5 out of 10...if that much. Its like if you can do lower Hermit pools then it should be fine. Depends on waterflow too.
The place where no human can go, the defile, simply requires going in water briefly...the thing about that early tr was that it was Brennan's first adventure hike with his students so as far as technical accuracy....
http://www.dankat.com/mstory/sangab.htm

As far as what I would say about more traffic, i would speak up and say why ruin it? Its a place to be discovered if you are ready to be there. Its not like 5&6 stars but its gets traffic. Its hardly secret...theres a video on it with many views.
I definitely would not be advertising this marvelous place to the hordes of jean clad, nike wearing "hikers" who carry a small Aquafina bottle. This is why i decided to share in a community who are very capable and understand the risks behind such an adventure. I certainly only enjoy places where i dont run into anyone. I wouldnt expect this place to become the next eaton canyon or anything remotely close. Because everything is so remote and requires a real planning of a trip im not too worried of the masses flocking here. And you are absolutely right... There are definitely visitors there, but evidence shows most come from the bottom up, like yourself. I figured it would be great to give a recent update how not just the narrows are but the miles above the narrows... I look forward to spending some time in some of those fun water spots once we hit summer... Though summer seems here already!
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Nice report ROAM. Bear Creek is an experience blank spot for me so I appreciate your pics and description. It looks and sounds like some basic canyoneering skills are needed for the upper reaches of the canyon. That I presume will act as a check on the number of folks that realistically can visit the area, including me.?
wheninROAM

Post by wheninROAM »

Uncle Rico youll be fine in there. We had all our gear but didnt use anything but a rope on the larger bear falls and webbing on the smaller one... We just climbed down with our brute strength as they are not too difficult. The upper drop in stuff has great use trails around any obstacle all the way to bear creek proper.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

This is awesome! I missed it when you first posted it, but Dima linked it in another report so I found it. Very beautiful photos. Thanks for the detailed report, too.