Waterman and Twin Peaks from Buckhorn

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Alright I'm gonna do this hike Saturday 10/5/08, starting at 9 am if anyone is interested. I'll be there with 4 or 5 folk.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I'm currently on the fence about this one. If I go on Saturday, I hope to run into to you guys on the trail - I'd be starting around 7a and will head straight for Twin Peaks and then, if I feel like it, up to Waterman on the way out.

If I wait for Sunday to hike then I'll be doing something in the front range most likely.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Not gonna make it.
droidly

Post by droidly »

i am planning on hiking this route next saturday (07/12/08) and would like to get info on the trail. i scouted the waterman trailhead today and found it to be very 'loose' (ie lacks definition). i have read trip reports on localhikes.com and many people stated they lose the trail during the final push to the summit.

could someone comment on this? i would like to know the degree of definition of the trail overall and if someone can give me any pointers especially from the saddle to summit.

thanks in advance!
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

I'm not sure if you are referring to the Twin Peaks portion or Waterman, as you can lose the trail going up both, but I'm guessing you are talking about Waterman.

The general rule I used (from reading from previous reports) is that if you start descending (not just a little bit, but consistently), then you have gone too far. From what I remember, what happens is that you are are the Waterman trail which has loop around one bump and is headed ~ southwest. The trail then curls around to the northwest, with Waterman to on your left. Right at this part a trail (visible, but not blatant) branches off to the left and up, while the trail you are on goes to the right and down a bit. This is where you need to take the left branch.

Hopefully that helps.

Trip Report
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

droidly

Post by droidly »

JMunaretto wrote:I'm not sure if you are referring to the Twin Peaks portion or Waterman, as you can lose the trail going up both, but I'm guessing you are talking about Waterman.

Trip Report
well actually i was concerned about the trail portion from twin peaks saddle to the summit; the final push to twin peaks. the waterman portion looks very loose and i expect that the final 2-3 miles up the summit are equally vague.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Yeah I mean I didn't have any problems following that trail but I can see how you'd get off track a bit. I don't think its a big deal as long as you are going up. One person a few minutes behind me when we went had gotten off trail a little and ended up at the east twin more directly than getting to the saddle first.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

An FYI...

The Mt Waterman trail placement on the topo is really incorrect. Specifically, the east to west trail that is depicted north of the red line (wilderness boundary) up Waterman has switchbacks as it approaches the Twin Peaks junction. The trail to Waterman from the Twin Peaks junction curves around the 7910 peak roughly with the 7800' contour line and does not drop into the creek area.

I know, this is nit-picking, but...
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Mike P wrote:I know, this is nit-picking, but...
Not at all. Good info.
droidly

Post by droidly »

thanks guys!