DAWN MINE LOOP

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

On Sunday, my friend Bob and I checked out the Dawn Mine Closure and the newly restored trail that the Restoration Crew has been working on for many many months.
We made it a loop hike starting at the Chaney trail~Sunset Ridge~Millard Canyon~Mt. Lowe Trail.

A nice little pool of water

Beautiful flowers

The crew has done an awesome job at clearing the poison oak.

They made it easier to walk across parts of the trail.

They have placed rock steps.
Image\\

It was nice to finally meet Brenda Beck and the rest of the crew, watching them hard at work, making the trails beautiful again!

Humboldt Lillies by the area they were working on.

View of the Canyon below.

A rock is placed in front of the mine entrance.

New steel bars that block the cave.

Cape of Good Hope

Please go and check out the newly restored trail. The crew is still working on portions of the old trail but they have made great progress making the trails safer to walk along.

Thank you again Restoration Crew for a job well done!
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

I went out there today, met the clean up crew, and chatted with Brenda. I told her that the upper trail is in better shape then it was before the fire. I had hiked up this way about seven months ago and they have made major strides in the trail work. For all practical purposes they are done with the main trail. They are currently working on creating a short connecting spur to the trail that takes you to the Mt. Lowe fire road.

I continued up to the other mine dig a few hundred yards above the Dawn Mine. There is some evidence of people continuing up to that spot. From there I continued on worsening use trail up to the turnoff that used to take you to the Tom Sloan Saddle. I didn't go any further or observe if the trail was in any shape for hiking up as a bee hive in a tree kept my interest to a minimum. From there I backtracked and finished the loop.
sneebs

Post by sneebs »

bummer about the mine
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

David R wrote: I went out there today, met the clean up crew, and chatted with Brenda. I told her that the upper trail is in better shape then it was before the fire. I had hiked up this way about seven months ago and they have made major strides in the trail work. For all practical purposes they are done with the main trail. They are currently working on creating a short connecting spur to the trail that takes you to the Mt. Lowe fire road.

I continued up to the other mine dig a few hundred yards above the Dawn Mine. There is some evidence of people continuing up to that spot. From there I continued on worsening use trail up to the turnoff that used to take you to the Tom Sloan Saddle. I didn't go any further or observe if the trail was in any shape for hiking up as a bee hive in a tree kept my interest to a minimum. From there I backtracked and finished the loop.

Hi David
Thanks for checking it out! and yes they have made major improvements! I'm glad you were able to see restored trail. I had the same discussion with Brenda regarding the connector trail. I can't wait!
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

sneebs wrote: bummer about the mine
I know :q47: