GAVIOTA PEAK & NOJOQUI FALLS

Archived TRs for the Los Padres National Forest.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Yesterday I invited Sean and Christian to accompany me on bagging another Santa Barbara peak. I researched information and read Tekewin’s report on Gaviota Peak. Unfortunately he didn’t get to admire the beautiful views that this hike offers due to a cloudy day. Bagging this peak was worth the long drive. This peak sits at the west end of the Santa Ynez Mountains.

We arrived around 9am and parked at the Trespass Trailhead.
I followed the suggestion of hiking a loop ascending the fire road and descending the Trespass Trail for the spectacular ocean views.

We took a short detour to checkout the Gaviota Hot Springs.
Lower milky blue pool with naturally warm sulphur springs.

Upper pool.

After hiking 1.6 miles and ascending 1000ft we were officially in the Los Padres National Forest. We continued through a grassy green field and admired the assortment of flowers

Finally we reached a very gusty windy saddle, we were previously warned about it by a hiker descending the fire road. He said "you are in for a big surprise!" We literally had to hold on to our hats!

From the saddle you arrive at a fork in the road go right and the
final push to the summit is a narrow steep climb.

Whoohoooo!!! group picture on the summit! Gaviota Pk 2458'

This was the coolest register box I have ever seen! Like Tekewin I only found one reference mark. We signed the register and admired the beautiful views.

The Trespass trail is one gorgeous trail! The ocean views and cliffs are breathtaking! The Channel Islands were clearly visible. The cliffs are so enticing. I am definitely going back!

Descending Trespass Trail

One report that I read said that the Trespass trail was overgrown and horrible. Well it really wasn't. Very light bush whacking with a visible trail.

We had a few surprises along the way. We found a cool little cave.

There was some writing etched into the rock. Maybe a surveyor from 1873 hmmm?? same date I found on the reference mark at the peak.

As we continued to admire the views and passed the caves, we spotted a small pond and descended off trail, following a grassy path.

The winds picked up again and I was trying to stand up on a cool rock & take a picture but the winds almost blew me away. Sean managed to capture a quick shot within seconds!

Finally arriving at my car, I had one more surprise for the boys. I read about this 80ft waterfall. We drove a short distance to Nojoqui Falls Park. It's only a 10 minute walk through the park and the waterfall is very beautiful!

To conclude the days festivities, we had one more unexpected surprise! A baby snake hanging out on a bridge.

Overall, it was an awesome day! I love hiking in Santa Barbara!
stats: ~7 miles with a 2150 ft elevation gain! It's probably a good idea not to hike this trail during the hot summer months because most of this trail is exposed, however there are a few shady spots on the Trespass Trail. If you want to experience the gorgeous views don't go on a cloudy day :) I hope that Tekewin can go back some day and experience this beautiful trail!
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Gaviota Peak was one of our first hikes eons ago. I didn't even own a camera. The day was overcast. As we approached the summit, we hiked into the cloud deck. So, there were no views at all - totally socked in. We never got back to the place. Thanks for the pictures showing what we didn't get to see.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Very nice. I've driven by there a zillion times and never stopped. Now I'm gonna have to. That's a long drive for you guys.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

I went to Nojoqui Falls as a kid, probably whining about the long walk all the way. I was taught to pronounce it like "Na hooey." Thought about stopping in when driving past in recent years, but hadn't pulled the trigger. Good to see it again!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Definitely agree that SBC is excellent. The view of this peak from the south,which is private property, has always been a cool part of the drive.
I'll going this year, for sure.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

RichardK wrote: Gaviota Peak was one of our first hikes eons ago. I didn't even own a camera. The day was overcast. As we approached the summit, we hiked into the cloud deck. So, there were no views at all - totally socked in. We never got back to the place. Thanks for the pictures showing what we didn't get to see.

Your welcome! You should go back some day ;)
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Uncle Rico wrote: Very nice. I've driven by there a zillion times and never stopped. Now I'm gonna have to. That's a long drive for you guys.

Long drive but worth the beautiful ocean views!
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

AW wrote: Definitely agree that SBC is excellent. The view of this peak from the south,which is private property, has always been a cool part of the drive.
I'll going this year, for sure.

Santa Barbara has some beautiful areas. I was there again this past Wednesday, just haven't posted my pics yet!