Peak 6306 (Little Rock Mtn)

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Rico, Dima, and I got together yesterday for an off-trail trek to Peak 6306, located high above the confluence of the main and south forks of Little Rock Creek. I had noticed this landmark while hiking Bare Mountain. Peakbagger.com showed only four visitors in recent years. While its 400 feet of prominence should attract atypical peakbaggers like ourselves, the relatively painful-looking terrain probably dissuades many.

We met up at Cloudburst Summit by 7am. A couple PCT dudes came up the trail. They had started at the Mexico border and were stopping at Mill Creek Summit. One was from Colorado, and the other was also from out-of-state. They looked well-worn, but had lots to tell us about their trip so far. Apparently I need to get over to Luna Mountain, one of their favorite sections of the PCT. After wishing them farewell, we started off on our own, much shorter adventure.

Our first stop was Winston Ridge. Dima had never been here, so he signed the register, which was tucked between some boulders under a log.

We then continued west, down the ridge to Peak 6850. This stretch had nice rock formations and easy scrambling. Here the off-trail began after a use trail vanished.

Dima could hardly contain his excitement upon seeing this triangular sign post.

And Rico could hardly contain his excitement when I demanded that he take a picture of me on Peak 6850.

(My "Blue Boy" moment.)

While dropping down the other side of 6850, the view of 6306 opened up, and we got our first glimpse of the connecting ridge.

Before reaching the next ridge, we first had to test our luck in the poodle dog minefield. Thankfully the poisonous bushes were either dead or dying, and not very big, which made weaving through them a fairly simple task.

Soon we were off Winston Ridge and dropping down the steep spur.

(Photo by Rico)

Pacifico and Bare seemed to be wondering what the heck we were doing leaving the shaded comfort of Winston Ridge.

I turned and waved goodbye to the trees.

By this point I was already lagging behind Dima and Rico, who reached the saddle before me.

A large bush provided a bit of shade. We stopped to stash and drink water. A dead tree still stood tall nearby. Upon seeing it, I blurted out, "Dead Tree Saddle!" No doubt, this blabbering was an early sign of dehydration setting in.

From Dead Tree Saddle it's about one mile to Peak 6306, with another 575 feet of gain, factoring in the up and down. First we climbed the steep slope to Point 6147.

From 6147 we got a good look at the bad to come.

We took turns searching for the best route through this maze of withered, scratchy brush, much of which we crushed and stained with blood.

(Dima blazes the route by stomping down the dead brush.)

(Photo by Rico.)

(Looking back at Point 6147.)

On top of the uphill brush-whacking, the rising heat posed another challenge. Dima and Rico coped well. However, not being in the best of shape, I started feeling exactly the way my legs looked.

But as those who've seen School of Rock know, "you're not hardcore unless you play hardcore." And I wasn't about to let a little brush and sunlight prevent me from reaching a peak that nobody really cares about. Well, nobody except some Sierra Club freaks.

The register was safely tucked inside a rock pile atop the treeless summit.

The register had been placed by R.S. Fink in 1984. Only eight people had visited since then. I don't know if any of them had a name for the peak, but I like the sound of Little Rock Mountain, considering its location between the two branches of Little Rock Creek.

We won't go into how pathetically I exited this adventure. But during the return trip, on the south side of the peak, Dima found a Budweiser straight steel tab top can.

Apparently they made these in the 70s to mid-80s. So, either Mr. Fink dropped it, or somebody else beat him to the top.

Or, perhaps a clever deer carried it up the slope from Little Rock Creek.

dima

Post by dima »

Nice report, Sean! The entries in the register had a really nice time spread: a group went up in 1984, in 1991, two in 2015 and then us. Another obscure peak down, countless ones to go.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Ah yes, good, dirty fun it was. The summit register was worth the effort. Glad you were carrying that set of barbells as an equalizer so I could keep pace.

I'll try to post a couple of additional pics later.
walker

Post by walker »

Congrats on the successful adventure, gents. I really like the kinds of goals y'all set for yourselves.

Speaking of registers that go way back. About 20 years ago (yikes) I remember coming across a couple of register books from '69 and '67 on certain fairly well known local peaks. I haven't heard any talk of them or anything like them for some time - do you think those registers were dashed to the winds or stolen? Are there just so many more people in the mountains that they get carried off or filled up?
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

walker wrote: ... do you think those registers were dashed to the winds or stolen? Are there just so many more people in the mountains that they get carried off or filled up?
If you PM me the specific peak registers you're talking about, I might be able to give you a specific answer as to the register's status.

There is definitely a special sort of bastard (The Register Ripper) going around destroying registers. I've found torn up registers. In response, the Sierra Club may have removed a few for safekeeping. I've heard rumors of them doing that. You could ask them.

I remove registers I place once they fill up, and leave a new one.

I think there are a few semi-old registers still in the Gabes. But they are on remote or unofficial peaks.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Finally getting around to organizing my pics and thoughts about this adventure. Sometimes it takes me awhile to get my shizz together.

My TR here: http://wildsouthland.blogspot.com/2017/ ... e-and.html

The register on this peak was really pretty neat. Here is the entirety of the register:

Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Sean wrote: Dima found a Budweiser straight steel tab top can.

Apparently they made these in the 70s to mid-80s. So, either Mr. Fink dropped it, or somebody else beat him to the top.
LOLSOB, some of us remember that being the only kind of can opening they'd ever known :wink:

My memory says these were disappearing before '84, so maybe pre-Fink.