Castle Rock Ruins

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
missy

Post by missy »

hi all!

Have you ever driven to the mountains the back way and noticed this castle foundation? its located on Fort Tejon Rd and Pallett Creek Rd, in LLano by Juniper Hills.

ImageRock ruins by Missy, on Flickr

Wonder if theres historical importance to it and I wonder how it got to its current state. Theres a posted keep put sign so I just shot from the road.

ImageCastle Ruins by Missy, on Flickr

ImageCastle Ruins as seen from Road by Missy, on Flickr

Beautiful all in all where it is.

Here are the stats:
34.4603, -117.8670
S6 T4N R9W
Assessor's ID No:3061-004-009
Address:14467 FT TEJON RD LLANO CA 93544
Property Type:Single Family Residential
http://caltopo.com/m/G6JU

And I pulled up some historic patents from the Township/Range/Section under the BLM records though they might not be complete:

11/3/1891 CARTER, JOHN H
5/14/1904 STRAIN AG CACAAA 073736
3/10/1916 TILGHMAN, LEWIS C, HAMBERS, JOSEPH L B
3/3/1919 AUGUST W GUETHNER
3/6/1931 CHARLES HERSCHEL HENRY
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Internet search of the address says it belongs to the Abbey.
14467 Ft Tejon Road
Los Angeles, CA 93544
Owner: SAINT ANDREWS ABBEY INC
Total land value: $17,989 (it was $17,204 in 2009)
Total building value: $17,989 (it was $17,204 in 2009)
Total value for property: $35,978 (it was $34,408 in 2009)
Recording date: 10/15/2001
Year built: 1945
Effective year built: 1945
Area of property: 1,030 square feet

Now if I could only be in fresh condition with just the right light conditions to visit the Abbey and somehow manage to take a photo of 'the tree lol.

Is that the only part of the ruins or more to it?
dima

Post by dima »

missy wrote: And I pulled up some historic patents from the Township/Range/Section under the BLM records though they might not be complete:
Oh wow. Where does one get these records?
missy

Post by missy »

I've seen ruins scattered all throughout that back area up into the Angeles Forest. I think its Valyermo, Llano, Juniper Hills. Areas where lots of previous ranches used to exist (and still do). I bet theres potential for some cool exploration.
Cool thanks for the info. I bet it was some fire that took it down I guess. The graffiti and Panormaio images online definitely show other curious people have stepped into the site.
AW wrote: Internet search of the address says it belongs to the Abbey.
14467 Ft Tejon Road
Los Angeles, CA 93544
Owner: SAINT ANDREWS ABBEY INC
Total land value: $17,989 (it was $17,204 in 2009)
Total building value: $17,989 (it was $17,204 in 2009)
Total value for property: $35,978 (it was $34,408 in 2009)
Recording date: 10/15/2001
Year built: 1945
Effective year built: 1945
Area of property: 1,030 square feet

Now if I could only be in fresh condition with just the right light conditions to visit the Abbey and somehow manage to take a photo of 'the tree lol.

Is that the only part of the ruins or more to it?
missy

Post by missy »

BLM records online:

http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/search/de ... ypeIndex=3

You Just need the Township, Range, or maybe a name.
dima wrote:
missy wrote: And I pulled up some historic patents from the Township/Range/Section under the BLM records though they might not be complete:
Oh wow. Where does one get these records?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

missy wrote: I bet theres potential for some cool exploration.
Definitely....if I have spare time on my next trip out there I'll try my hand at it. Unlikely I'll have spare time this year though lol. Still spocking out some fault formations.

The Abbey purchased the area from a Hidden Springs Ranch according to their website, but as far as the ruins in question, take a look at the their photo of their previous home back in China....the bottom of the ruins looks similar.

Edit: Also....I was at Twin Peaks saddle this year....couldnt find anything historical. Its definitely NOT on the northern side of Devils Canyon/saddle. The southern side is pretty large acreage, and all I saw was from previous visitor stayovers....something like 4-5 fires close,but not visible from the trail. I was mainly looking for signs of longer term use, but there were no cut trees and the flat land looked to be unused. It was like 3 prime places were skipped lol.
missy

Post by missy »

AW wrote:
Edit: Also....I was at Twin Peaks saddle this year....couldnt find anything historical. Its definitely NOT on the northern side of Devils Canyon/saddle. The southern side is pretty large acreage, and all I saw was from previous visitor stayovers....something like 4-5 fires close,but not visible from the trail. I was mainly looking for signs of longer term use, but there were no cut trees and the flat land looked to be unused. It was like 3 prime places were skipped lol.
LOL! You're talking about Sturevant's hideaway place? Yeah maybe he didn't walk around for long since he wanted an escape-haven really badly. It seems like it would be hard to find without all those cooking utensils still in place.
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

Saint Andrew's Abbey is a lovely place to visit. Anyone can stop there. I always make a point of stopping there if I'm in the area. The monks were originally stationed in China but kicked out after the Communist revolution and have lived here since the 1950s. If you drive up the road and park at their parking lot, you're welcome to walk around, you're just supposed to be quiet (I think there's even signs that say so) because not only do the monks live there, but they have retreats. And there are people who are in silence at various times (like they might not respond to you, other than a smile, if you say something to them).

They have an outdoor stations of the cross through a rocky desert landscape, you may even see a rattlesnake, which is weirdly biblical. They also have a replica Chinese garden, but they don't always maintain it all that well. Also, sometimes their ceramics store is open, the monk specialize in making ceramics up there.

I'm positive they told me what those ruins were on one of my visits, but I can't for the life of me remember now. But if you go into the visitor center during normal hours, there will be someone there who will be more than happy to tell you. They're incredibly friendly.

You can also actually pay to stay at the abbey when the rooms are available and eat with the monks if you feel so inclined (and pray of course, if that's what you're in to).
missy

Post by missy »

VermillionPearlGirl wrote: Saint Andrew's Abbey is a lovely place to visit. Anyone can stop there. I always make a point of stopping there if I'm in the area. The monks were originally stationed in China but kicked out after the Communist revolution and have lived here since the 1950s. If you drive up the road and park at their parking lot, you're welcome to walk around, you're just supposed to be quiet (I think there's even signs that say so) because not only do the monks live there, but they have retreats. And there are people who are in silence at various times (like they might not respond to you, other than a smile, if you say something to them).

They have an outdoor stations of the cross through a rocky desert landscape, you may even see a rattlesnake, which is weirdly biblical. They also have a replica Chinese garden, but they don't always maintain it all that well. Also, sometimes their ceramics store is open, the monk specialize in making ceramics up there.

I'm positive they told me what those ruins were on one of my visits, but I can't for the life of me remember now. But if you go into the visitor center during normal hours, there will be someone there who will be more than happy to tell you. They're incredibly friendly.

You can also actually pay to stay at the abbey when the rooms are available and eat with the monks if you feel so inclined (and pray of course, if that's what you're in to).
hi!

Just wanted to say thank you so much for that tidbit of info on St. Andrew's Abbey. Ill make my way there soon enough. Sounds pretty neat and historical