Ken Burton Trail

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
staarkhand

Post by staarkhand »

That's outstanding, thanks for the update.

Ken Burton is literally the first longer loop I ever tried to do in the San Gabes dating back to when I first visited here and didn't realize the maps I was looking at (http://www.foothillflyers.org/reviews/brownmtn.html) were showing trails that hadn't existed or at least been fully open since the station fire. I literally ran up to the dam, missing the (closed) turn off near Paul Little, looking for Oakwilde about 4 times wondering what was going on. I also tried from the topside of Ken Burton thinking that way might go through. I can't wait to finally make it happen, and then I will also set my sights on going through to Switzer.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

staarkhand wrote: I can't wait to finally make it happen, and then I will also set my sights on going through to Switzer.
I'd focus on going through to Switzer's. Oakwilde is gone.
staarkhand

Post by staarkhand »

Sean wrote:
staarkhand wrote: I can't wait to finally make it happen, and then I will also set my sights on going through to Switzer.
I'd focus on going through to Switzer's. Oakwilde is gone.
So I've heard. I really just meant finally do that one loop.

Is anyone working on the trail from Oakwilde to Switzer?
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

staarkhand wrote: I really just meant finally do that one loop.

Is anyone working on the trail from Oakwilde to Switzer?
Ah, it's a nice loop. And I recently saw the upper portions of Ken Burton from the highway. It looks well-worked.

I believe a mountain biking crew is working on the Gabrieleno to Switzer's. I did the stretch from Oakwilde to Long Canyon recently. It's coming along nicely.
walker

Post by walker »

Rode my bike to the end of Brown Mt. Road this weekend and was told by a Ranger that the Ken Burton Trail is now open. He was out near the saddle to remove the "off limits" sign, but somebody had already taken it down. Looks like some mtn bikers are already starting to explore the loop. The few I talked to agreed that the KB trail is pretty loose right now and could use a bit more work on the switchbacks, but it's open for travel.
Herping Hiker

Post by Herping Hiker »

I just did it today on foot dang the steepness of that trail wears your legs and feet out after the long trek up Brown Mountain road.