Hiking with Dogs: Blue Mountain, November 8 2015

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
HikingGeek.com

Post by HikingGeek.com »

I wasn't able to head out for a 'real' hike the last two weekends, but was able to get away for an hour or two.

Do you guys have a local hill or mountain that you use for training or for when you can't get away for the day?

Blue Mountain || Distance: ~3.16 mi || Duration: 1hr 25m || Gain/Loss: ±1,258′ || Net Elevation Gain (at Max Elevation): +982′ || Max Elevation: 2,406′ || Difficulty: Easy, but steep

Hiking with Dogs: Blue Mountain, November 8 2015
Riley is excited to get out for a while. San Bernardino Peak is the high point in the distance.

San Gabriel Mountains Behind Us

Wild burrows (sorry for the weird lens flare)

Nearing the summit

Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the pics. I love the clear skies and views. That peak has been on my list for too long. I usually hit up Altadena or Pasadena for something quick.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I figured out where Blue Mountain was after doing Box Springs Mountain last month. It looks pretty fun, and wild burrows! Aliso Peak is my local trainer when time is short.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

HikingGeek.com wrote: Do you guys have a local hill or mountain that you use for training or for when you can't get away for the day?
That would be the Old Mt Wilson Trail, since I can walk out my front door and be at the trailhead in 20 mins or so :D
In warm weather I sometimes ride my bike to the trailhead, which makes for an even quicker return home after hiking to First Water, Decker Spring, or Orchard Camp as time allows.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

HikingGeek.com wrote: Do you guys have a local hill or mountain that you use for training or for when you can't get away for the day?
I head up to Sunset Peak via Cow Canyon Saddle. Ridge up and fire road down, making for a nearly 5 mile round trip.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda