Cloudripper

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
dima

Post by dima »

On Saturday tekewin and I woke up early to climb Cloudripper, a 13525 ft peak in the Sierra Nevada, in the Inconsolable Range. We started by South Lake, climbed up to Brown Lake:

and got the first glimpse of Vagabond Peak, a slightly-shorter neighboring peak of Cloudripper we'd need to summit on the way:

The route passed by Green Lake:

at which point we climbed up above the treeline and up a large alien-looking boulder field to get the first glimpse of Cloudripper (at left. Vagabond peak is in the center):

Tekewin knew what to do. He drank some water (click for larger):

and after more bouldering, reached the summit of Vagabond:

The climb up was largely Class 2, with some an exposed Class 3 climbing near that top. The register lives in a hole inside the summit block:

The views were spectacular, and after a break, we pushed on to the now-very-visible Cloudripper:

To get there, we downclimbed the boulders on the opposite side of Vagabond and then climbed up the boulder field of Cloudripper to arrive at the rocky summit. The views from Vagabond were amazing, but Cloudripper had even better ones (click for larger):

There are lakes on all sides, and the lakes we passed en route weren't even visible because Vagabond was in the way. We looked at the lakes, peaks and glaciers for a while, and descended back the way we came. Unfortunately there was an active fire somewhere, and the smoke significantly reduced visibility, but it was a great day regardless.

Also, I found Rupert:

It looks like he had a bad day, but maybe he cleans up nicely; stay tuned.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

This was my second trip to the Sierras, home of the E-ticket rides in California. Despite the smoke, these were some of the best views I've seen anywhere. The only people we saw were a family camping at Green Lake and a group coming down from Cloudripper while we summiting. Big fun!

Thunder and Lightening Lake below Vagabond, Skyhaven behind

Dima on the Cloudripper summit while the other group descends

Summit sign

Chocolate Peak and lakes from Cloudripper

Dima descending the final cross country section, The Hunchback in the distance

Taking the pipeline shortcut on the way back
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

I've been wanting to do this peak for a few years, but from the big pine basin side. lucky! Looks epic.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Scott,

That would be a great route as well. I think the Sierra Club does annual 2-day backpack trips from Big Pines if you are interested. Here is a smoke filled shot of the lakes.

Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Very nice pictures and sounds like a fun trip. Thanks for sharing!
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Nice one lads. Sorry I missed it. Thanks for the amazing TR.
dima

Post by dima »

He does clean up nicely!

tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Rupert shines up like a new penny! Nice.
hillbasher

Post by hillbasher »

Was wondering if anyone on here has done Cloudripper from the Coyote Flats side? Think it involves hiking up Baker Creek past Thunder and Lightning lake. Input?
cahikr

Post by cahikr »

Nice trip report!
I will have to add these peaks to my to do list.

Is Rupert a Beaver or a Marmot?
dima

Post by dima »

cahikr wrote: Is Rupert a Beaver or a Marmot?
I'm assuming Marmot because of where I found him (away from water, on a hillside at the treeline) and the size (skull is about 9cm long). If you have more informed thoughts, I'd love to hear them.
cahikr

Post by cahikr »

dima wrote:
cahikr wrote: Is Rupert a Beaver or a Marmot?
I'm assuming Marmot because of where I found him (away from water, on a hillside at the treeline) and the size (skull is about 9cm long). If you have more informed thoughts, I'd love to hear them.
I would have to say it is more likely to be Marmot.
Beaver teeth are typically flatter and darker in color, also do to the location you found him.

I too have found a few of skulls out on the trails.
Black bear, fox, and deer.