Bear Flat Trail (Baldy Village)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

I agree, 10 people is probably less than average for a weekend, but not by much. Because the trail is so long you will see few others unless you are leap frogging a group. You are almost assured to spend most of the time alone, but not so alone that if something happened you wouldn't be helped.
There are only a few very steep sections and they are not too long and not too loose. It is relentlessly uphill with only a few flat parts after Bear Flat. The switchbacks above Bear Flat last forever, it helps if you can start before sunrise because they can be warm in the morning sun.

Bear Flat from the Switchbacks:

The Narrows

After the narrows the trail levels a little (still basically uphill) as you approach West Baldy and Baldy.

If you go this weekend bring plenty of water.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

We went up Bear Flat as part of a 6 peak loop two weeks ago on a Saturday. I was surprised by how many people we saw on that trail on a hot day. But it was maybe 20 total. And the numbers go way down as one gets higher -- I suspect that a fair number of people bail out part way up.

I like that trail. :D
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

It's a great route, but it can be more humid and muggy (especially early on) than the higher elevation trailheads. So it's a good idea to bring extra water along -- particularly this time of year.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

This past Saturday (7/31) there were three other hikers on trail in the four-and-change hours of my ascent; 0545 - 1030. There were approximately fifteen as I descended 1140 - 1345. I always forget how much work it is to ascend this trail.

Post by 406 »

thanks for the info and photos. sounds like a good trail.
GreenMountainBoy

Post by GreenMountainBoy »

Anyone been up Baldy via Bear Canyon lately? How are the conditions, where is the snowline currently? thanks!
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Just a heads up, the Bear Canyon Trail from Baldy Village to the summit is closed effective today :x

I know it flooded pretty bad, but could it really have been damaged enough to warrant a full year closure?

The following notice has been posted at the Baldy Visitor Center, and will soon be up on the USFS website...

USDA Forest Service
Angeles National Forest
Forest Order No 01-14-06

Pursuant to 16 USC 551 and 36 CFR 261.50(b), the following act is prohibited in the San Gabriel River Ranger District of the Angeles National Forest. This Order is effective from August 21, 2014, through August 20,2015.

Being on the Mt. Baldy Trail (Forest Trail No. 237W12), from Bear Flat north to the Mt. San Antonio Summit, as shown on the attached map. 36 CFR 261.55 (a).

Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50(e) the following persons are exempt from this order:

1. Persons with a permit specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act or omission.

2. Any Federal, State, or Local Officer or member of any organized rescue or firefighting force in performance of any official duty.

This prohibition is in addition to the general prohibitions contained in 36 CFR Part 261, Subpart A.

A violation of this prohibition is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six months, or both. 16 USC 3559, 3571, and 3581.

Done at Arcadia, California this 20th day of August, 2014.

Thomas A. Contreras
Forest Supervisor
Angeles National Forest
sesshin

Post by sesshin »

Wow. Glad I was hit that route right before the storm hit.
longcut

Post by longcut »

I was going to hit it tomorrow morning....so not good. A year though. I dont get it.
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy mcphersonm80 :)

Bummer :( Thanks for the update.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

That's a great hike, I hope they re-open it soon. When I was on the summit right after the storm and flood a couple of guys who hiked up Bear Flat told me the switchbacks from Bear Flat to the half-way rock were all washed out.

Of course the Feds don't have the money for trail reconstruction so I wonder how long it will be closed.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

The trail wasn't fully recovered from the last fire...
curt

Post by curt »

Any word on this trail opening sooner? I pulled a Whitney permit in August and would love to include this hike in my training! If not, could someone suggest similar? I am doing Ice House to Timber at least once a week as it is close to my house
Thanks!
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Ditto on Bear Flat Trail -- any word yet?

A good substitute to get ready for Whitney is San Bernardino Peak. You need to get a permit, but the peak is not well visited so that is usually not a problem.

Jerry
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Another great conditioning hike (maybe even better than Bear Canyon, IMO) is to start at the Icehouse trailhead and do the Three T's trail to Baldy Notch, up the Backbone to Baldy, down the Ski Hut Trail to Manker, then drop into the stream near the waterfall and follow it downstream past Good Canyon to the first big switchback on Baldy Rd north of Icehouse (or just walk the road down from Manker). GPS helps, but if you keep heading down San Antonio Creek, you'll get to the flat area and can just exit the canyon to the left and backtrack to Icehouse.

I think it's about 18 miles and 8,000' of total gain, awesome loop hike and the mileage will really prep you well for the Whitney trail. The hike is significantly tougher than it sounds on paper. Also on the plus side, it offers multiple bail out points along the way.

If you can do this hike and provided you acclimate well for a couple days leading up to your permit date, Whitney will be a breeze.
curt

Post by curt »

I may try that-Been doing Ice house to saddle in 1:28 and on to Timber-I plan on adding Telegraph next-My main time is during the week though (Monday after work) so hit the trailhead around 3:30-I try to be out by dark-Thinking of Diamox as I wont get to the portal until Fri night-darn time constraints!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I think Vivian Creek to San Gorgonio is a great Whitney trainer. Only a little less gain, but over a shorter distance. About 17 miles RT with 5400'+ of gain and higher elevation (11500') than Baldy or Jacinto. You might want to wait until June or July for the last of the snow to melt.
galt1905

Post by galt1905 »

I know that this trail was closed for a while, but I believe I recall hearing that it would reopen this summer.

Does anyone know if it's open again? I'm interested in going up tomorrow, 8/1.

Thanks in advance!
galt1905

Post by galt1905 »

Still slated for Aug 20, or is it open again?
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Vivian Creek trail and San Bernardino Trail are open now. I don't know about Bear Canyon trail but I have seen people summit from the trail. I'll try later in the year.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I don't know about Bear Canyon trail but I have seen people summit from the trail.
I stopped by the Mt. Baldy Visitors Center yesterday and asked about the Bear Canyon Trail. I was told that it is not "officially" open yet. Take that for whatever it's worth.
Edward

Post by Edward »

I called the Mt. Baldy Visitor's Center today, August 27. They said it is not 'officially' open because it has not yet been inspected, but you can hike it at your own risk. I asked when it will be inspected and officially opened, and they did not know. But it seemed very clear that you would not be cited for hiking it.
cahikr

Post by cahikr »

I'm also interested if this has been reopened
cahikr

Post by cahikr »

Just checked the forest service website and they show this trail is still closed.
SGBob

Post by SGBob »

Don't trust the Forest Service to keep their Web site up to date. There are things on there that are over a year old and haven't been updated yet.

The closure order for the Old Baldy Trail expired August 20, 2015.
cahikr

Post by cahikr »

SGBob wrote: Don't trust the Forest Service to keep their Web site up to date. There are things on there that are over a year old and haven't been updated yet.

The closure order for the Old Baldy Trail expired August 20, 2015.
I figured as much.
I guess the only way to find out for sure is to call, but it seams most of the time I call with a question they don't seam to know the answers anyway.
SGBob

Post by SGBob »

It's not closed
cahikr

Post by cahikr »

SGBob wrote: It's not closed
Thanks!
I plan on doing this in the next few weeks.