Bear Flat Trail (Baldy Village)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Is there residual snow on Mt Baldy trails? I'm thinking about doing Mt Baldy on Oct 7 from Baldy Village.
muddeer

Post by muddeer »

Was on the trail last Sunday; no snow
Rob

Post by Rob »

muddeer . . . thanks for report . . . Rob :)
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

no snow
hot one minute chilly the next
dont forget your sword
Rob

Post by Rob »

I have the annual sword carry permit.
Taco

Post by Taco »

:lol:
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

According to the Mt. Baldy Ranger station, the Bear Flat trail was opened up as of last weekend.
Should be interesting through the area where the Manzanita is/was/used to be. Fewer thorn scratches, MORE sun (ugh!). Glad it's open again!

Happy hiking.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

YES!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Start early J. Like 5 am at the latest. I'M SERIOUS! Park right in front of the village visitor center. perpendicular to the road. The parking space lines are there but are so faded you can hardly see them. GO ALONE DAMMIT. You will ruin it if you go with someone on your first time. Just this once. Just this hike.

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

What is the strangest creature in the San Gabriels?
a) Salamander
b) Big Horn Sheep
c) FIGHT ON

I swear FIGHT ON, you have some really interesting posts!
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

FIGHT ON wrote:Start early J. Like 5 am at the latest. I'M SERIOUS! Park right in front of the village visitor center. perpendicular to the road. The parking space lines are there but are so faded you can hardly see them. GO ALONE DAMMIT. You will ruin it if you go with someone on your first time. Just this once. Just this hike.
5am? ARE YOU CRAZY? I would have to get up at 3, that doesn't sound like fun. I'll save that for C2C!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

JMunaretto wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote:Start early J. Like 5 am at the latest. I'M SERIOUS! Park right in front of the village visitor center. perpendicular to the road. The parking space lines are there but are so faded you can hardly see them. GO ALONE DAMMIT. You will ruin it if you go with someone on your first time. Just this once. Just this hike.
ARE YOU CRAZY?

No. everybody else is. but seriously. I am dead serious about this. if you go on that hike with anybody else and start later than five you will forever ruin the #1 best experience you will ever have. TRUST ME! GO ALONE. JUST ONCE. SO WHAT YOU GET UP EARLY ONCE IN YOUR LIFE. it will be cold, so what, it's a little scarry, so what, just seeing whats on the way is like another world. OK i've said enough. It's starting to feel like I'm building up a good movie and will spoil it when you go see it. IT'S JUST A STUPID HIKE. SAME AS ALL THE REST. REALLY EASY AND DOWN HILL ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP. START AT LIKE 9:30 AM AND WEAR BLACK. YOU DON'T NEED TO CARRY WATER CUS THERE IS A CRYSTAL CLEAR STREAM THAT IS ADJACENT TO THE TRAIL ALL THE WAY. PIECE A CAKE DUDE!
oh and by the way, fun? there's no having fun. That's against the rules too.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

FIGHT ON wrote:
JMunaretto wrote:
ARE YOU CRAZY?

No. everybody else is. but seriously. I am dead serious about this. if you go on that hike with anybody else and start later than five you will forever ruin the #1 best experience you will ever have. TRUST ME! GO ALONE. JUST ONCE. SO WHAT YOU GET UP EARLY ONCE IN YOUR LIFE. it will be cold, so what, it's a little scarry, so what, just seeing whats on the way is like another world. OK i've said enough. It's starting to feel like I'm building up a good movie and will spoil it when you go see it. IT'S JUST A STUPID HIKE. SAME AS ALL THE REST. REALLY EASY AND DOWN HILL ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP. START AT LIKE 9:30 AM AND WEAR BLACK. YOU DON'T NEED TO CARRY WATER CUS THERE IS A CRYSTAL CLEAR STREAM THAT IS ADJACENT TO THE TRAIL ALL THE WAY. PIECE A CAKE DUDE!
oh and by the way, fun? there's no having fun. That's against the rules too.
Hmm, it would now appear that answer "C" is correct...
hikin_jim wrote:What is the strangest creature in the San Gabriels?
a) Salamander
b) Big Horn Sheep
c) FIGHT ON
:lol:
Taco

Post by Taco »

Agreed with Jim.

Alpine start FTW. I always want to sleep in... but regret it when I realise I'm sitting on my ass the rest of the day instead of spending valuable time in the mountains having fun and living my life.

That said, you hafta drive from USC... :lol:
simonov

Post by simonov »

Is this correct?
Nunc est bibendum
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

That has always been my understanding. Makes sense too. The trail never really crosses into the Sheep Mtn. Wilderness - just follows the boundary. According to this site...you only need a permit to enter Sheep Mtn. from the East Fork TH.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Good, I guess I'll head up Sunday morning.
Nunc est bibendum
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

simonov wrote:Is this correct?
Yep! You don't even need an adventure pass if you park right in front of the visitor center perpendicular to the road.
-Taken from FIGHT ONS BELIEVE IT OR NOT catalog.volume 5 chapter page 9814 section 23 line 567. above items subject to change please contact the SCHOOL OF FIGHT ON for current updates.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I've been a little confused about the parking. The side entrance to the Visitor's Center has a gate that's closed before 7:00am. I guess that isn't where you go to find the trailhead?
Nunc est bibendum
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

simonov wrote:I've been a little confused about the parking. The side entrance to the Visitor's Center has a gate that's closed before 7:00am. I guess that isn't where you go to find the trailhead?
Dude! I can tell you. When you face the visitor center from the road, you see that white gate right? the parking is to the right of the smokey bear sign. You can barley make out the white lines for the car spaces on the pavement. Park there. Then go through that gate. on the left side of it. walk a little ways and you will see a sign that points to the left. follow that and you then will see another white gate. Hop over that and then you run into a road. go right. up.
It's so cool. I think i know what your plan is. you are going to go up early monday morning to watch the race! Pretty cool dude! I'm dying to tell you more about the hike but It would spoil it. Just remember, Once you pass the little bear sign, just a little bit further, you will start the real hard stuff. say a prayer and have fun! And GO ALONE! IT'S SO BITCHEN DUDE!!!! :D :D :D

PARK TO THE RIGHT OF THESE SIGNS AND IN FRONT ON THAT LITTLE STONE WALL. IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THERE IS ENOUGH ROOM BETWEEN THE ROAD AND THE WALL, BUT THERE IS! PERFECT PLACE TO PARK, NO BODY GONNA SMASH YOUR CAR THERE! :lol:
simonov

Post by simonov »

That wasn't exactly the plan, I was supposed to go up this morning, except I wasn't feeling well last night. Ate too much.

So I was thinking about going up tomorrow after all, but I don't really want to run into the runners. I was going to come down via the Notch and it sounds like that will be a zoo. I don't really want to come back down via the Bear Flat Trail.
Nunc est bibendum
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

simonov wrote:That wasn't exactly the plan, I was supposed to go up this morning, except I wasn't feeling well last night. Ate too much.

So I was thinking about going up tomorrow after all, but I don't really want to run into the runners. I was going to come down via the Notch and it sounds like that will be a zoo. I don't really want to come back down via the Bear Flat Trail.
You can go down the ski hut trail. That's a great way. save on the lift ride $ but you still have to walk or hitch a ride back to your auto. Or go back the way you came.
The main thing is to start way before the sun comes up. Not only because you want to avoid the baking heat up the steep east facing slope, and that you will not run into anybody the entire trip but you get to walk up the first part past the two gates when it's dark. Seeing the houses on the way up to the trail is so much part of this hike. So quiet and seeing the lights in the cabins at that time is special. And above all, if it's your first time, go alone. It's the best! :)
Liz

Post by Liz »

Has anyone gone up the Village Trail this week? Or does anyone plan on doing it and reporting on it before Saturday? I'm hoping to do it, but would like to do it only if crampons are not needed.

Thanks! 8)
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Looking for beta - is it a slush fest or ? Any info greatly appreciated-
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

It was very nice last Saturday.

Post by 406 »

From the trip reports I have seen, it looks like the Bear Canyon-Baldy Trail from the village to the summit of Mt. San Antonio doesn't get much traffic. Is that true on the weekends this time of year? I'm assuming the trail is loose and steep. Is the lower section very brushy? Any horse traffic?

thanks for the info, I don't get to Baldy area much in the summer.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

406 wrote:From the trip reports I have seen, it looks like the Bear Canyon-Baldy Trail from the village to the summit of Mt. San Antonio doesn't get much traffic. Is that true on the weekends this time of year? I'm assuming the trail is loose and steep. Is the lower section very brushy? Any horse traffic?

thanks for the info, I don't get to Baldy area much in the summer.
I think the Ski Hut and Notch routes get more traffic, but there are a lot of people using the Bear Flats route. The trail is indeed steep and there are some sections where the decomposed rock doesn't give good footing. I wouldn't consider the trail a brushy trail.

If you want solitude, the route in from the north from the Wrightwood area is the way to go.

HJ

Post by 406 »

thanks.

Would you expect to see ~10 hikers on Bear? I would guess seeing ~100 on a ski hut trail hike and maybe ~50 on a backbone trail.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Ten sounds a little low, but who knows? I was on the Pacific Crest Trail near Buckhorn on 4th of July weekend and saw not a soul. I would have expected a lot more. If a Korean hiking club schedules a hike there that day, you could have a crowd.

It will probably be fewer than the very popular trails, but a lot of people are attracted to the old Mt. Baldy trail just because it is so difficult. A lot of people use it for Whitney training.

By the way, on some weekends on Baldy, multiply all your numbers by ten. You might see 50+ people on the summit alone.

HJ

Post by 406 »

and I thought Baldy was crowded in the winter.