Sheephorn wilderness backpacking

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

I'm interested in heading down in the sheephorn wilderness sometime in oct or nov. The map i have shows cabin flat, mine gulch, and several fish fork camps. I can't find much info on these on the NF webpage, and says cabin flat is closed. Are these open for backpacking, or I assume dispersed camping is allowed since it is national forest? I'm assuming the creeks down there hold water all year as well? If its rugged country, faint trail, off trail - all the better.

thanks
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I've camped in those areas a bunch and times before. Cant say if there are permits. Cabin flat is nice, big, open. Mine gulch has a beautiful view of Mine Gulch and Baden Powell's east face. Water there, too. I like that place a lot. The Fish Fork camps are basic. The higher one was tiny, and the lower one along Fish Fork is big enough for a dozen people. Love that one. That's a special place to me.

Fish Fork and East Fork run all the time. Cabin Flat has a spring nearby which I've visited twice, so I don't know if it goes dry.