Trying to avoid graffiti for first-timers

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
MINative

Post by MINative »

I want to take some friends to Little Jimmy Trail Camp for an easy over-nighter, it will be their first backpacking trip. Does anyone know the current state of graffiti on the section of the PCT from the parking lot off hwy 2 towards the camp?

The trail was pretty covered with graffiti last time I was there.

Thanks in advance!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I was there on Friday. Still loads of Graffiti. :cry:

HJ
MINative

Post by MINative »

Thanks for the info, too bad to hear. With its reliable water source Little Jimmy may still be the destination.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

HJ: Was this at the trailhead? I was there last summer, and didn't notice any (but I'm probably desensitized a bit). If it's just at the trailhead, the fire road alt route might be better.

EDIT:

MINative...

There's an excellent camp spot just above Lamel Spring on the Baden-Powell side. Go up one switchback past the spring until you're on a mellow bench, and the campsites are to the right. No toilets/tables, but it is a superior campsite.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Tom Kenney wrote: HJ: Was this at the trailhead? I was there last summer, and didn't notice any (but I'm probably desensitized a bit).
It was on the first 1/2 mile or so of the PCT heading toward Little Jimmy from Islip Saddle. A lot of it.
Tom Kenney wrote: If it's just at the trailhead, the fire road alt route might be better.
Angeles Crest Highway was closed at Islip Saddle when I was there last Friday (7/24/2015), so the service road option is out (unless you want to add in a road walk on Angeles Crest Hwy).
Tom Kenney wrote: There's an excellent camp spot just above Lamel Spring on the Baden-Powell side. Go up one switchback past the spring until you're on a mellow bench, and the campsites are to the right. No toilets/tables, but it is a superior campsite.
Does Lamel have any water this year?

And it's a long drive, depending on where you live, with ACH closed at Islip Saddle.

HJ
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Ah. Thanks, HJ. Haven't been up from Vincent Gap in a couple years, and we didn't visit the spring then, so don't know. I always considered it as reliable as Little Jimmy spring. It's never been dry in the 30+ years I've hiked there, but this drought is 'exceptional' to say the least.

RE: the drive...it's a few more miles, but less twisty-turny (again, depends on point of origin). I'm in the SFV, so usually take I-5 -> CA-14 -> CA-138 -> Valyermo or Largo Vista -> Big Pines.

That campsite on Baden-Powell is amazing! Super views, rarely windy, well stocked with firewood, and much more quiet than Little Jimmy.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Tom Kenney wrote: Ah. Thanks, HJ. Haven't been up from Vincent Gap in a couple years, and we didn't visit the spring then, so don't know. I always considered it as reliable as Little Jimmy spring. It's never been dry in the 30+ years I've hiked there, but this drought is 'exceptional' to say the least.
As reliable as Little Jimmy? Interesting. I haven't been in a while, but I seem to remember that Lamel had a lot less flow than LJ, yes?
Tom Kenney wrote: RE: the drive...it's a few more miles, but less twisty-turny (again, depends on point of origin). I'm in the SFV, so usually take I-5 -> CA-14 -> CA-138 -> Valyermo or Largo Vista -> Big Pines.
Yeah, I used to live in Glendale, 10 min. from ACH. For me it was faster to just drive the crest. Now I live in the OC, so to get to Baden-Powell, taking I-15 to to CA-138 to CA-2 is fastest.
Tom Kenney wrote: That campsite on Baden-Powell is amazing! Super views, rarely windy, well stocked with firewood, and much more quiet than Little Jimmy.
Firewood? :shock: Not so sure fires should be made in unauthorized places, particularly during a drought. Fires are only authorized where USFS grills, pits, or wood stoves exist.

HJ
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Tom Kenney wrote: That campsite on Baden-Powell is amazing! Super views, rarely windy, well stocked with firewood, and much more quiet than Little Jimmy.
Firewood? :shock: Not so sure fires should be made in unauthorized places, particularly during a drought. Fires are only authorized where USFS grills, pits, or wood stoves exist.

HJ
Yeah...shows you how long it's been since I've camped in the Gabes. As for myself and fire, I think the last campfire I built was during an unplanned bivi almost 15 yrs ago.