Redrock Mountain Loop

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Redrock Mountain lies just north of Castaic Lake, an hour north of LA. Sean, Cecelia, and Dima joined me on this little adventure in the northwestern Angeles National Forest. The main route heads up Fish Canyon (no forest can have just one), past old Cienega campground, climbs to a saddle, then a ridge use trail takes you to the summit.

Photosphere from the summit of Redrock Mountain

Approaching Cienega Campground

First view of Redrock Mountain

Rock outcrops on the ridge

The summit is some 800' above the saddle, gained in roughly a half mile. Dima was first on the summit filled with namesake red colored boulders. The benchmark was in pristine condition despite being set in 1930. While reading the register, Dima noted one group had completed a loop with Redrock Canyon as the other segment. We kicked around the idea of returning that way, facing some unknowns in that canyon. The consensus was to tackle the loop.

Dima on the first major rock outcrop

Cobblestone Mountain in the Los Padres National Forest. White Mountain to the right.

Sean and Cecelia on the summit

After descending to the saddle, we continued along the trail away from Fish Canyon and turned left at a junction that led down into Redrock Canyon. The canyon was mostly clear at first, then started to get clogged with trees, boulders, and poison oak. We tried following some trail bypasses, but soon found ourselves out of the canyon in deep vegetation with thorny brambles and hungry ticks. We found our way back to the canyon and made slow progress through the wild upper section. I became concerned about time, since I needed to let my wife know I would not be able to pick up our son. At one point, I wanted to turn around and head back but the group convinced me to push forward. Fortunately, the worst was already behind us. The canyon opened up a little and offered some short waterfall down climbs and entertaining formations. With about a mile and a half to go, where Falls Creek joins Redrock Canyon, we found a use trail marked with cairns and ribbons leading the way out.

Into Redrock Canyon

Sean and Cecelia fighting through some evil greenery

Wild upper section of Redrock Canyon

Dima on a section of smooth rocks

Large conglomerate boulders in a fun section with 10-15' waterfalls

Sean

Post by Sean »

A few additional pictures:

Old road through Fish Canyon

Group about to leave the road and head left on the singletrack to Redrock, seen in the distance.

On the Fish Canyon singletrack

Approaching the rock outcroppings

On the summit

Dima on the trail to Redrock Canyon, with Peak 3623 in the background

Scrambling in Redrock Canyon

One of many pools in Redrock Canyon

One of many cairns in Redrock Canyon
dima

Post by dima »

What they said. Also:

Mining detritus at the Pianobox prospect:

Keith on the ridge...

... and on top

Almost at the peak

Somebody carried a metal cable to the peak, tied a rock to it, and left it there

Redrock canyon is cool

Also, I made a panorama from the top (not linking full version here, but it lives at https://gal.secretsauce.net/travels/SanG ... p/pano.jpg). Looking SW you can see the prominent bits of the San Gabriels:

David R

Post by David R »

This hike looks kind of familiar, I have no idea why I've been to this peak so many times but this report has me hankering to go back again!
walker

Post by walker »

Very nice, y'all. This area looks like the missing link between the San Gabriels and the lower Los Padres. Good call on doing this before the summer gets here!