Smith Mountain south ridge and Bear Creek

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
dima

Post by dima »

For a while now I've wanted to check out the Bear Canyon trail in the San Gabriel Wilderness. The location of this trail really makes it necessary to do this as a long out/back or to do a car shuttle or walk back on the road. Well last week while looking at the aerial imagery, I discovered another option: there's a firebreak that begins at the west fork parking lot and goes up to Smith Mountain. Then one could take the Bear Canyon trail back down back to the west fork.

I hiked this route yesterday. The fire break is mostly clear. The exceptions are:

- the drop from point 2543 to the drainage bottom at about 2150ft which is very overgrown

- point 4693 to Smith Mountain, which isn't so much a firebreak as a use trail

Both of these segments are fairly short. The area between point 3725 and 4693 is heavily burned from some very-recent fire. There's nothing green there at all, so it must have happened this year.

Past Smith Mountain the trail drops to a saddle, then enters the San Gabriel Wilderness; the terrain becomes much more green. The trail down to Bear Creek is in great shape and is fairly pleasant. Bear Creek itself is full of water and very verdant. There's no trail per se along the creek itself, rather it's a series of vaguely-defined paths that move around from one riverbank to another. After much boulder-hopping and bushwacking, you arrive back to the west fork, 1 mile away from the parking lot.

View shortly after dawn near the start of the ridge; Twin peaks and Triplet rocks:

The burned area leading up to point 4693:

View from the top of Smith Mountain:

Image Image Image Image Image

Triplet rocks from the trail down to Bear Canyon:

What's in the box???

The avenue of manzanita just above Bear Canyon:

Bear Creek:

Image Image
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Neat trip. Hey, what IS in the box? As long as it's not a body.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Great report. Thanks! How was the poison oak? Last time I ventured up Bear Creek the PO was too much for a guy who likes to hike in shorts. But I'm feeling invincible now wearing my jeans.
dima

Post by dima »

Sean wrote: How was the poison oak?
I'm not sensitive so I don't know what it looks like with complete certainty. There was nothing with red leaves, and there wasn't much bush-sized stuff with green leaves that I think could be poison oak. There was lots of larger, tree-sized stuff, and smaller stuff. So yeah; I think it's ok, but if it's not, don't blame me :)
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Thanks for sharing...long trip!