Maybe I was born just a few generations too late...

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

...cause I sure woulda liked to end the day here...

Actually I probably would have hiked TO this spot.....and spent the whole day (and night) at Kelly's Camp...

Anyone else wish Kelly's was still around ---- or happy it's gone ???

RichardK

Post by RichardK »

I have wondered if any pictures of the camp existed. I have never seen one. The spring must have had better flow back then. Otherwise, there would not have been enough water for guests and horses. Where did you find this picture? Thank you for posting!
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Wow, I had no idea it was that developed. Pretty cool shot, thanks for sharing.
arocknoid

Post by arocknoid »

It can be pleasant to reminisce for times that came before our own, but that prism is often rose-colored glass.

Cue Rod Serling et alia who have explored that theme---fondly!

Personally, I appreciate the nearness of an opportunity for solitude in the wilderness
(now, about those dang busloads of hikers with non-squelched FRS...)

cheers,
arocknoid
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

RichardK,

Ooops, I spaced and forgot to add the link/credit where I found this image of Kelly's Camp ---- a few pics here that I can't ever recall seeing and a nice 'gathering'/summation of the Baldy area/history:

http://baldytrip.wikispaces.com/History

-------

Arocknoid, you wrote three perfect sentences, the first and the third REALLY reflect how I feel about places like Kelly's Camp.

Personally, I appreciate the nearness of an opportunity for solitude in the wilderness

I totally walk the fence line on this one... While I love conjuring up what it would be like to enjoy Kelly's camp in full swing, I have sat just above Kelly's camp for a good while, soaking up the beauty and enjoying the silence ---- and the only 'noise' breaking the silence were some deer passing by or a chirping bird... the best of both worlds, it may exist in some forms but not here...
arocknoid wrote: It can be pleasant to reminisce for times that came before our own, but that prism is often rose-colored glass.

Cue Rod Serling et alia who have explored that theme---fondly!

(now, about those dang busloads of hikers with non-squelched FRS...)

cheers,
arocknoid