Potato Mountain

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Three months after knee surgery, this is my first real test. I've walked plenty but that is all urban hiking, and Claremont isn't known for the elevation gains.
We were planning to walk the Claremont Hills Wilderness Park, but the parking situation there is just stupid on weekends. It's amazing to me that people are parking over a mile from the trailhead on Mills and filling up all the side streets too. On the other hand, we should be pleased that folks are getting outdoors more. Anyway, seeing that the parking lots were full, I drove on up to Evey Canyon for little spud peak.
Not much to talk about, it's a well-graded road up to a saddle, after that the road is slightly rougher. Nothing too difficult, but parts are fairly steep. We passed lots of people on the way up, while also greeting plenty of others on the way down. This is not the place for solitude, unless you hike it at night.
It's 2.1 miles each way, and a good way to spend a couple of hours. Sitting on the water tank at the top is a good place for a snack break and there are always other hikers to chat with.

A few pics:

Looking up at the summit from the Baldy Road parking area.

Technically, you are supposed to write to Pomona College for a permit. This is universally ignored.

Welcome shade on the lower part. This area was badly burned in 2003 but has come back nicely.

At the saddle. The road branches here down to the Wilderness Park, which is a nice nine-mile round trip (when you can find parking).

Summit plateau.

Bad spelling. Usually there are some potatoes left on the tank but not this day.

Hazy view towards LA.

Lots of wildflowers out right now, pretty spectacular.

Watch out for this stuff, kids - it's really green right now.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Congratulations on getting out! Great pictures. Thanks
rck

Post by rck »

Good on you for getting out. That spelling of "POTATOE" reminds me of Dan Qualyle. Some of you just might remember him. :lol:
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

JeffH,

Glad your knee held up. Hopefully, a full recovery is near. Potato is a crowded place almost every day, but I do like the view of big bad Ontario from there. Poison oak is just nasty. Apparently, it doesn't bother Taco, but I just healed up from a 2 week blisterfest for my carelessness.

JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Yep my first thought was Dan Quayle did some tagging on Potato Mt. Good you were able to get out.

I'm the same way with those three leaf monsters. They are terrible, but only half as bad as the evil poodle dog