Hikers cited after dangerous Malibu Canyon rescue

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

http://www.presstelegram.com/general-ne ... rk-rescued

California Code of Regulations Title 14 §4319 Games and Recreational Activities.

No person shall engage in games or recreational activities that endanger the safety of persons, property, resources, or interfere with visitor activities except as permitted by the Department. No person shall hold, sponsor, lead, or otherwise have control over a game or recreational activity occurring wholly or partially within or on any property owned, operated or administered by the Department without an approved Special Event permit if any of the criteria set forth in section 4301(j) apply.

They landed on these people pretty hard... Meetup group?
tracker

Post by tracker »

There is so much that isn't known or told in news stories that I wouldn't pass judgement on what is being reported. :idea:
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

our sheriff's sar guys were busy. after plucking your guys out they returned to the backyard to gather a few more:

https://local.nixle.com/alert/5156413/

video here:

http://youtu.be/sCNOR02vvyE
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

tracker wrote: There is so much that isn't known or told in news stories that I wouldn't pass judgement on what is being reported. :idea:
I am well aware of the authorities holding their cards close to their chest and the medias lack of willingness to dig out the truth

I have no doubt there is a "Story behind the story"

bsmith wrote: after plucking your guys out they returned to the backyard to gather a few more
Not my guys.

A friend who was leading a group in the Los Padres when a stronger than expected storm hit the group where high and dry.

The plan was to wait for the water to subside enough until they could walk back out.

Family of some of the group members contacted the authorities and when the helo showed up they said aw hell yeah take us out.

They had to leave their gear which was promptly stolen after thieves saw the reports in the media
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

mattmaxon wrote: A friend who was leading a group in the Los Padres when a stronger than expected storm hit the group where high and dry.
if what you are relating what just happened, and if you knew them, then you might know, were they in the condor reserve? reports had two groups of rescued campers in the sespe near tar creek. condor reserve territory.
mattmaxon wrote: They had to leave their gear which was promptly stolen after thieves saw the reports in the media
downside to helicopter rescue. seems to happen frequently.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

The state park citation is bogus. Typical, but bogus. They('the locals') hate your guts, but will take your money :lol:
Special Events. Special Events are activities which are beyond the normal scope of activities and operations conducted in units under control of the Department of Parks and Recreation. Consistent with existing state policies and laws, District Superintendents may approve by permit a Special Event when it is found to be in the best interest of the Department of Parks and Recreation and is conducted by an appropriate sponsor at no net expense to the state. Special Event permits are required when fees are charged by the event sponsor beyond the regular State Park Facility Use Fees, when the Department has determined the event will create a greater potential hazard or liability to the State than incurred through typical operations, when the activity includes the exclusive use of an area within the park, when the activity interferes significantly with the public's use of an area, when additional staffing or staff time is required, or where items or services are sold. Special Event permits are required for any activity within the State Park System which meet any of these criteria, and which occur wholly or partially within or on any property owned, operated, or administered by the Department. Upon a finding by the District Superintendent that a special event is consistent with the unit's use, he/she may issue a Special Event permit for such use. The terms and conditions of such permit shall prevail where inconsistent with the rules herein when approved by the Division Chief, Chief of Off Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division or the District Superintendent.
The state park was open with NO closure of said trail. Anybody could have popped in there unaware. And how did they create danger? By hiking downstream on an approved trail to a known place on an open day?

The other part is Malibu rescue...well if the rescue is so harrowing, then dont do it. Seems to me the rescuers were operating well beyond their skill level....rescues already have an inherent danger....such as that Orange County rescue that this one kind of reminds me of. But the hikers couldnt have been on something now could they? :wink:
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

bsmith wrote: if what you are relating what just happened
No Bardley I am not referring to the recent event
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

385 bucks for being poorly equipped, in a winter storm and putting rescuers lives at risk?

Yeah...I'd say that's about right.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

AW wrote: The other part is Malibu rescue...well if the rescue is so harrowing, then dont do it.
Personally I don't see the problem with waiting. Time will resolve the flooding issue.

People need to deal with it. If they where in a safe place and where just wet and cold. Good they're safe. 12 hrs waiting cold and wet while the water goes down will do more than $385 fine

If people know they are not going to save their asses just because they are uncomfortable they'll be more careful in the future

The fine may have the less than desired effect too as these and others may well be less likely call for help when they really need it until it is too late

I for one do not want some volunteer SAR person risking their neck unnecessarily.

But most of these things are lawsuit driven. The SAR teams lawyer isn't going to allow them to sit and wait on the outside chance someone really needs assistance.

Testosterone fueled helo rescue is just plain stupid IMO. Risking anybody's life for this is stupid. Just WAIT!
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

I would suspect the citation has to do with the fact that most people that hike this section enter upstream from the dam that has a fence and signs saying no trespassing. From there you boulder hop down to the pool where when its low water you can sidle around it or when its high water take a dip.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

mattmaxon wrote: They had to leave their gear which was promptly stolen after thieves saw the reports in the media
bsmith wrote: downside to helicopter rescue. seems to happen frequently.
Boy, some wicked sets of people out there! I never thought I'd see this scheme though,,,mercy :(

Kinda reminds me of the story of the motorcyclist dude that got hit by a car but was lucky enough that a nurse happened to be right there when he got hit. Of course when the nurse went to his aid, she put her purse down by her side..... oh yeah, and it was stolen in 60 seconds as they say...

I say if we catch dirty people like this, we oil up their hands & feet real good them and heli-drop them onto Eaton Canyon's Razor Back at 3am on a cold winter's night :evil: :P

Or make them watch the Arsenio Hall show :x