January Backpacking Trips

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
socalbackpacker

Post by socalbackpacker »

Hello,

The winter has been really tame so I'm planning a ~15 - 20 mile two day one night backpacking trip around Los Angeles. I would prefer an area that's not too crowded, doesn't have too much snow, and allows campfires. Where would you suggest going? I'm open to any trails in the Angeles National Forest / San Gabriel Mountains (West of the 15) or a trip to the Los Padres Forest.

Thanks!
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

Not that I'm recommending this, but I ran into a group of guys this weekend at Islip Saddle who were backpacking from there down to Crystal Lake, then back the next day. I think that it's only about 5 miles one way -- but an inside-out backpack, I was a little impressed :) And it can be made longer by side trips to Islip or Hawkins or starting at Dawson Saddle instead -- there's lots of options up there.
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

here in the los padres level III fire restrictions are in effect.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/lpnf/home ... rdb5401877

see that page for link to areas where a campfire - one of your prerequisites - can be made.

would recommend pine mtn or reyes peak - would have to hike in (chorro grande trail or walk in pine mtn road), but views are outstanding and won't be many - if any - folks up there as pine mtn road is closed for the winter.

could do a hike to reyes peak - it's within easy reach.
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

No matter where you are in the ANF, at anytime of the year, you can only have a fire in an "official" ring. That said, you can also camp in any campground even if it's closed. Right now we're at a "Very High" fire level which means campfires in rings are OK. In terms of snow...unfortunately that's not something to sweat right now.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Teejate wrote: No matter where you are in the ANF, at anytime of the year, you can only have a fire in an "official" ring. That said, you can also camp in any campground even if it's closed. Right now we're at a "Very High" fire level which means campfires in rings are OK. In terms of snow...unfortunately that's not something to sweat right now.
What about cooking stoves (i.e. whisperlite)? Always allowed everywhere?
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

HikeUp wrote:
Teejate wrote: No matter where you are in the ANF, at anytime of the year, you can only have a fire in an "official" ring. That said, you can also camp in any campground even if it's closed. Right now we're at a "Very High" fire level which means campfires in rings are OK. In terms of snow...unfortunately that's not something to sweat right now.
What about cooking stoves (i.e. whisperlite)? Always allowed everywhere?
I believe that when the fire danger level moves in to "Extreme" or "Critical" stoves are banned as well. Still need a CA campfire permit to operate a cooking stove at anytime. Those are free online.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/angeles/c ... EV3_027721
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

I was just in Los Padres and except for the springs it was dry, dry, dry. I mean I've been there in like August and seen more water.