Muir Peak

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Since it's supposedly winter, I decided to give a go to some front country stuff this weekend while the temps are still cool. My route took me up the Sam Merrill trail to Echo Mountain, through Castle Canyon to Inspiration Point, south to Muir Peak, and then back down via the upper Sam Merrill trail. The section from the trailhead to Echo was a freeway; the section through Castle Canyon was the exact opposite. There is still some water where the Castle Canyon trail crosses the drainage in upper Rubio Canyon(?). You guys/gals probably know about it, but there's also what appears to be an abandoned prospect in upper Castle Canyon about here:

http://caltopo.com/map?id=1876

Anybody know anything about this prospect if that's what it is?

While I was sitting atop Muir Peak all alone admiring the scenery and enjoying a treat I brought along, "walker" from this site appeared behind me after coming up the front side via the Lone Tree trail. We chatted a bit and he shared his knowledge of the area with me as we headed back to Inspiration Point. He descended Castle Canyon while I headed for the upper Sam Merrill.

As a general proposition, the pics I took with the point and shoot turned out pretty crappy and washed out so I tried to enhance a bit. It didn't work out so well so apologies in advance for the poor quality.

Lower Sam Merrill

A little "urban" comfort in case things get too wilderness-y for you

Echo Mountain

Castle Canyon Trail

"Water crossing" along the Castle Canyon trail

Abandoned Prospect in Castle Canyon

Close Up of Abandoned Prospect

Ramada at Inspiration Point

View Finders at Inspiration Point

Trail out to Panorama Point

Trail Spur to Muir Peak

Muir Peak Summit

\
View Southwest from Muir Peak

3 of my favorite things all in one place

Upper Sam Merrill Trail

Sunset Point

Don't go this way. Apparently you will die.

Looking across to the Castle Canyon trail from Upper Sam Merrill

Remnants of the Lowe Observatory

The End
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

I actually saw you on my way down from Sam Merrill trail on Sunday. Might not have recognized me, but we greeted each other...I was walking with a group of backpackers on our way out. I recognized the pack you have on the pic.

We spent the night at Mt. Lowe and checked out Panorama Point...awesome evening views.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

The pics are fine, Rico. Nice trip. Echo mountain is always a zoo. I hope those Leki poles are treating you OK. My locks broke the first time I put stress on them.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

mangus- I do recall seeing you guys. Sorry I didn't recognize you. How are conditions at Mt. Lowe camp?

teke- my Leki's are alright. I use them sparingly. I have had some issues with slippage and am not fond of the configuration of the handles.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

That hole in the castle canyon wall is only a few feet deep, according to a fellow hiker...

I approve of choice of beers (except the cap is still on it).
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Uncle Rico wrote: mangus- I do recall seeing you guys. Sorry I didn't recognize you. How are conditions at Mt. Lowe camp?
It was actually nice and probably didn't below 50 degrees. Water was available at the tower and the trough at camp.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Love the view finders. Fun to look through and imagine how things were 80 years ago when this was high adventure.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

mangus7175 wrote: We spent the night at Mt. Lowe and checked out Panorama Point...awesome evening views.

Ahem.... No TR?

Yes, I'm catching up on my reading after the knee surgery. I was able to walk around the Claremont Village the other day.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda