First Outing of the New Year

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

So what's going to be everyone's first adventure of 2014? I'm off to do some hiking on Santa Cruz Island with my girls tomorrow. Kind of a New Years Day tradition for us. What about y'all? Take a camera and post pics of your exploits so I can drool over all the cool places I need to visit over the next 12 months.

Happy New Year Eis Pirates. Stay off the roads tonight. It's gonna be amateur hour. :shock:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Headed to Red Box and then down to Valley Forge with my daughter. Majorly gnarly. Bringing pickets, ice axes, helmets, and a Hello Kitty blanket with a sparkly princess magic wand. :lol:
Uncle Rico wrote: Stay off the roads tonight. It's gonna be amateur hour. :shock:
For real.

HJ
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I always go on a New Years Day hike. Haven't made up my mind where yet, I shall see how the knee feels in the morning. Not much time left to hike, surgery date is Jan 16 and then I'm out for 8 weeks.
Thinking Islip from Crystal Lake area or Mt Wilson from Sierra Madre.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I'm hoping just to wake up sometime tomorrow. Hopefully in time to see the Thunderbirds fly over my house! Then bacon.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Probably something big with a rope and not enough gear. :lol:
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I'm working the Rose Parade and then off to see Stanford beat Michigan State...!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Headed to Red Box and then down to Valley Forge with my daughter. Majorly gnarly. Bringing pickets, ice axes, helmets, and a Hello Kitty blanket with a sparkly princess magic wand. :lol:
Uncle Rico wrote: Stay off the roads tonight. It's gonna be amateur hour. :shock:
For real.

HJ
But HJ... what if your daughter wants her blanket back?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Mike P wrote: But HJ... what if your daughter wants her blanket back?
:lol:

HJ
BrownMtnBob

Post by BrownMtnBob »

Had a Mt Lowe hike planned....but got sick; so, I'm camped out on the couch, in my most comfortable pajamas :P Next up- Rose Bowl
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I did a 9 mile hike from Aliso Canyon to the Top of the World in Laguna Beach. Not exciting, more to burn calories and wake up the legs from holiday sloth and overeating.

Now to take down the lights and tree.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I ate bacon. Now wine.
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

I did Bell View Trail in Rancho Santa Margarita probably only went about 2 miles but there were a few steep sections and I carried my baby along. good views of Santiago peak in the Santa Ana's.

happy new year!
oldcoot

Post by oldcoot »

Did Runyon Canyon in the Hollywood Hills for my New Year's morning hike...

Went up east ridge to high point, down to Mulholland, down main paved road to bottom, up bottom of canyon and middle ridge to high point, back down paved road to bottom, then up east ridge and paved road to high point again, and back down paved road...

Not up to SGMDF criteria I know, but more than 2000 feet of gain in a popular dog park just a mile from my front door...can't beat that for New Year's morning hike, no driving required!

Thanks to all for this wonderful forum and the great members...and best for the New Year...

oldcoot
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Where's the pics of HikeUp eating bacon? I wanted to see that.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Super nice pic, Uncle Rico.

HJ
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

I just got back and town and signed in here to figure out where I was going to go tomorrow morning :) Still not sure yet, but can't wait to get out there.

I have to get the car back by 10am, so I'm thinking maybe Echo Mountain, incline trail-sam merrill loop. Although, Sam Merill is like the mecca of Resolutioners. Every new year, the first week of January tends to be jam packed, then by week two it tends to taper off...
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Uncle Rico wrote: Where's the pics of HikeUp eating bacon? I wanted to see that.
No you didn't. It wasn't pretty.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Did RazorBack in Eaton loaded off of Cooks Champagne at 11:50PM on 12/31. Went with a couple of friends. No gear other than the flip flops on our feet. It was awesome! We made it up to the 15th pool!

Seriously - Started the New Year off with a run with 40+ other people along the Rose parade Route. We start at the end at 5AM, run to the floats, look at floats and return. Group breakfast at Conrads on lake after. I recommend their Lake Cakes (Oatmeal Pancakes) A great way to start the new year.

Jan 2 went on a nice trail run in Hahamogna.

Happy New Year my fellow San Gabe Mountain aficionados
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Mid-week New Year sucks... finally getting out tomorrow, going to check out the south ridge leading up to Fox and Condor Peaks. No idea if it has been maintained at all since the fire, will post a report tomorrow.

Where the hell is winter? :(
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mcphersonm80 wrote: Where the hell is winter? :(
You didn't hear? Cancelled. I think it was the tea party. Or global warming.

HJ
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

mcphersonm80 wrote:
Where the hell is winter? :(
Father Time drank too much and went limp. Mother nature did not get wet. We suffer. Pray for rain!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

LOL. wtf?
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

shreddy wrote: Father Time drank too much and went limp. Mother nature did not get wet. We suffer. Pray for rain!
"Uh, yes, bartender... I'll have whatever Shreddy's drinking." :lol:
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

My first outing of the year, on Jan. 2, included some cross-country exploring around the Rubio Canyon watershed. It's an old stand-by, and I still haven't been to every nook and cranny.

West Fuji

Castle Canyon and Inspiration Point

Castle Spur and Pt. 4668

Muir Peak and West Fuji