Another 'strange' missing hiker report - Heading Home ??

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Hiker missing for nearly a week found after starting fire to stay warm

http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/20131 ... -stay-warm

Rodney Trumbo, 55, was reported missing 8 p.m. Tuesday by his girlfriend when he didn’t make it home after beginning a trek on foot from Crestline down through the rough terrain of the San Bernardino Mountains, San Bernardino fire Battalion Chief Nathan Cooke said

Rodney Trumbo, 55 , of Redlands who went missing in the San Bernardino Mountains on Tuesday, was rescued on Sunday after he set a fire to stay warm.

Posted: 10/27/13, 6:38 PM PDT |

SAN BERNARDINO >> A hiker from Redlands who’s been missing for nearly a week was found stranded in Coldwater Canyon about five miles above Arrowhead Springs Resort on Sunday afternoon after he started a fire to stay warm, but the fire quickly became out of control.

Rodney Trumbo, 55, was reported missing 8 p.m. Tuesday by his girlfriend when he didn’t make it home after beginning a trek on foot from Crestline down through the rough terrain of the San Bernardino Mountains, San Bernardino fire Battalion Chief Nathan Cooke said.

“We contacted sheriff’s aviation Monday to help search using the helicopter, and Trumbo was never found,” Cooke said. “His girlfriend said he makes this hike all the time, but on this trek he got hurt. He called her from a cell phone and told her he was injured.”

The fire that brought rescuers to Trumbo burned a 20-foot by 30-foot area of brush in the remote area. Firefighters quickly put the fire out.

They assessed Trumbo and called for the sheriff’s assistance to get him off the mountain.

“Sheriff’s Aviation Rescue hoisted him out and took him to an awaiting ambulance,” sheriff’s spokeswoman Jodi Miller said. “Paramedics treated him and transported him by ground ambulance to Loma Linda University Medical Center.”

Trumbo was complaining of pain, and he appeared to be very dehydrated, Miller said.

“When he first went missing, his girlfriend said he prefers to hike that ‘back country’ when he makes his way down the mountain,” Cooke said. “It’s great we found him now with the weather that’s been forecast.”

Rain and cold weather are expected for the first half of the week with the lows in the foothills of San Bernardino likely to drop in the low- to mid-30s, according to the National Weather Service website.

In a separate incident, a hiker who’s been missing in the San Bernardino Mountains since Oct. 1 has yet to be found.

Alois Krost, 62, of Germany became separated from his hiking group in Lake Arrowhead.

The search for Krost continues in the area of Pinnacle Trail in North Lake Arrowhead by volunteers of the Rim of the World Search and Rescue team, sheriff’s officials said.
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

Doesn't exactly strike me as a hiker.

Wish they'd come up with a better word to describe those who are rescued or succumb in nature if they're clearly not experienced hikers. Someone who gets in a car accident because they're racing aren't called "race car drivers."
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Teejate

Post by Teejate »

"He complained he was tired and couldn't make it down the mountain."
Well, there you go.
:)
I just mentioned the need for a new name for 'hikers' like this. I propose "Yikers" as in "Yikes! What the hell were you thinking?"
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Often abbreviated "yfi". :|
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

HikeUp wrote: Often abbreviated "yfi". :|
HA.
That works.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Teejate wrote: Doesn't exactly strike me as a hiker.

Wish they'd come up with a better word to describe those who are rescued or succumb in nature if they're clearly not experienced hikers. Someone who gets in a car accident because they're racing aren't called "race car drivers."
For real.

I'm partial to the term "touron." Do you think it will catch on? ;)

HJ
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Teejate wrote: Doesn't exactly strike me as a hiker.

For real.

I'm partial to the term "touron." Do you think it will catch on? ;)

HJ
LOL. That one has always worked for me too. Particularly, as I understand it, it was started by Yosemite park rangers. They should know. :)