big horn mine lost tunnel.

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
warhead2002

Post by warhead2002 »

On the website lagoldmines.com it talks about another mine entrance 1 mile past the big horn main entrance. It seems hard to get to because the trail is in a cliff. I was wondering if anyone has been to this other mine. And if its still there casnt been. Clogged.
warhead2002

Post by warhead2002 »

It talks about a faint trail on the left of the big horn mine entrance that takes you to another mine entrance. But its difficult to get to because you need ropes to get to it. And it looks like they have pictures of the mine entrance too.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I once went towards Mine Gulch, staying at about the same elvation as the mine. I started hiking from the mine and believe I followed a faint trail south around the ridge from it, if that makes sense. Didn't see any shafts or anything, but I wasn't quite looking. Reckon if you keep going for a while, you might see something.
ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

Heres some info .....

http://www.lagoldmines.com/index.php?page=674120.txt

Mining claims......

http://www.blm.gov/lr2000/

Enjoy.....
warhead2002

Post by warhead2002 »

\On the website lagoldmines.com is where i saw the other tunnel it looks like to get to it u need to rappel down the mountain following a faint trail past the big horn mine.
ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

Found another tunnel down low on the very bottom of Mine Gulch, west face of rock wall, right at point that stream from vincent gulch hits the turn south of Mine Gulch if that makes sense, at about 75' up, trail long gone, fractured rock, falling apart. Hidden behind big yucca tree, looks interesting.
Read somewhere about it being access to a hard rock prospect around the corner but wasn't able by myself to even think about it. Have Lat/long on it if needed. Ole boy I met from wrightwood never new about it either. Was too low to be connected at all to Big Horn... Anyone kno more?
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

ur2slo wrote: Found another tunnel down low on the very bottom of Mine Gulch
That's interesting. Could you PM me the coordinates? I'm quite curious about it.
warhead2002 wrote:It seems hard to get to because the trail is in a cliff. I was wondering if anyone has been to this other mine.
It's not another mine, it's just a different entrance. I have some friends who found the No5 Tunnel, however I was unsuccessful in finding it myself on a later trip.

Tips:
• No. 5 tunnel is higher than the two main entrances.
• Don't try going up the big scree slope immediately to the west of the No6 tunnel. I already tried that! All I did was knock rocks down onto people in the mill.
• It's not out on the cliff. That's just a good way to kill yourself.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

davantalus wrote: • It's not out on the cliff. That's just a good way to kill yourself.
Excellent! Just what I need.

What about the lower road that goes just above Vincent's old cabin? Anything down that way? I've never gone to the end of it.

HJ
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Hikin_Jim wrote: What about the lower road that goes just above Vincent's old cabin?
I assume you're not talking about the trail that leads down to Mine fork camp? If so I'm not entirely sure what road you're talking about.

I was thinking about heading up there in the next week or two... anyone know the conditions?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

davantalus wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote: What about the lower road that goes just above Vincent's old cabin?
I assume you're not talking about the trail that leads down to Mine fork camp? If so I'm not entirely sure what road you're talking about.
Well, yes and no. Take a look at this map link.

Notice that as you leave Vincent Gap ("A") and head SE, you quickly come to a junction ("B"). If you stay on the main road, you proceed to the main shaft of the Big Horn Mine next to the old stamp mill (vicinity "F"), but you could also start dropping down here, as you say, towards Mine Gulch Camp. Now, if you've been there, you'll notice something if you look closely. You're on an old road. But as you go further, at some point you'll realize "hey, this section was never a road." Where does today's trail depart from the old road? In the vicinity of point "C", just before a small ridge with a little knoll on it. I think the knoll is elevation 6562, but it's a little hard to read. Note how the trail takes a hard left here. Instead of taking that hard left, the old road stays basically level and follows the contour lines. Look for it next time you're in the area.

The old road bed becomes hard to follow, but it basically stays level and heads toward "D" and "E". "D" and "E" are very roughly placed. You can discern the old road bed, but it's heavily choked with brush and trees. I've never followed it to the end, but there must be something important there, otherwise they wouldn't have gone to the trouble and expense of constructing this lower Big Horn Road. I've always been curious as to where it goes, but I've never had the time to do the bushwhacking necessary to find out.

HJ