trails/ backcountry camps open?

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
venturacountykid

Post by venturacountykid »

Help! I'm in charge of a weekend backpacking trip with two others from Ventura County and Orange County. I'm having a tough time figuring out where we can go in the San Gabriels (to meet in the middle) without running into problems caused by the national forest closures. Does anyone know which trails and trail camps -- preferably those 4 - 5 miles from the trailhead -- are open? We don't want to drive out there only to find trailheads posted "closed." Thanks for any help.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Obviously, I haven't ranged over the entire Angeles National Forest, but the only "area" type closure I'm aware of is Chantry Flats. Otherwise, the trails are all open. Camprounds, ranger stations, visitor centers, bathrooms, etc. are all closed.

In general, developed sites are closed but undeveloped (as in trails) are open.

That said, a nice, fairly easy "meet in the middle" backpack is Cooper Canyon. You can have one party enter at Cloudburst Summit and the other party enter at Buckhorn Campground. The campground is of course closed, but you can hike through it to reach the trails. You can park on Angeles Crest Highway. Here's a map link

A is Cloudburst Summit.
B is the exit from Buckhorn Campground. There is parking here outside the gate.
C is the trail camp. It's not exactly 1/2 way between the two starting points, but nothing is.
D is a wide spot on the old logging road that serves as the trail in Cooper Canyon. The Trail Camp shouldn't be closed (How could they close it?), but if it were or you just wanted a different spot, "D" would serve as an alternate.

HJ
Frozengogo

Post by Frozengogo »

With Chantry Flats picnic area locked does that mean the trailhead parking for Hoegees Camp is closed? I've never been to the area and was planning a hike with my scouts there in a week.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Frozengogo wrote: With Chantry Flats picnic area locked does that mean the trailhead parking for Hoegees Camp is closed? I've never been to the area and was planning a hike with my scouts there in a week.
Yes. The gate at the bottom of the hill is locked, so you can't drive to the parking lot. I suppose you could walk to the parking lot, but parking is very highly regulated in the city of Arcadia; there is no overnight parking. For a day hike, it might work, but for an overnight trip, it would not unless you can work out some kind of parking arrangement.

Google maps says that it's 3.2 miles from the gate to the trailhead/parking lot. All up hill. Not much fun. I wouldn't do it. Personally, I'd change my plans.

ALTERNATIVES
1. If you were planning a backpack and wanted one that was relatively easy (like Hoegee's), then Cooper Canyon from Cloudburst Summit (as I posted in my first post, above) would be a good one.
2. Little Jimmy might be another.
3. Stone House Camp on Lytle Creek another.
4. Cedar Glen in Icehouse Canyon yet another although it's a bit of a climb, but not too bad 'cause it's short.
5. Valley Forge on the West Fork of the San Gabriel River is a good one.
6. West Fork from either Shortcut Saddle or the Keyon Devore Trail is nice.
7. You can also go to Devore Camp via the Keyon Devore Trail
8. Henninger Flats is a steep pull up to the flats, but it's run by the county, so I don't think there's any risk of closure.
9. Switzer Picnic Area will be gated and locked, but the walk down the road wouldn't be too bad. I've done it. 1/2 a mile? Commodore Switzer trail camp is decent, and Bear Canyon camp is nice (although Bear Canyon is quite a bit farther)
10. The spot marked as "D" on the map link in my first post is a good spot to backpack to.

Those are ten relatively easy backpacking trips you could do instead of Hoegees.

HJ
Frozengogo

Post by Frozengogo »

Thanks. I've been to Cooper before and liked it, just wasn't sure about the water. Found a post regarding water at Cooper, so that looks like an option.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I haven't been to Cooper Canyon trail camp since late August. There was water then.

The most reliable water in that area is where I have placed point "A" on this map. If Cooper Canyon trail camp were dry, there will be water at point "A" which is where the trail from Buckhorn Campground crosses Buckhorn Creek, about 2 to 4 minutes west of the PCT junction. There may also be water in Cooper Canyon where the PCT crosses the creek, but the water at point "A" is the most reliable.

HJ
venturacountykid

Post by venturacountykid »

Thanks, Hikin' Jim. This is hugely helpful. I really appreciate it.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

You're very welcome. It's always nice to have a "resource list" of good but relatively easy local backpacks.

HJ
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

Anyone been up around 3N061, the road to Blue Ridge and Guffy, since the shutdown?
Wondering if it's gated.
Thanks.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Hikin_Jim wrote: parking is very highly regulated in the city of Arcadia; there is no overnight parking. For a day hike, it might work, but for an overnight trip, it would not unless you can work out some kind of parking arrangement.
FYI, the Chantry gate is in the city of Sierra Madre, not Arcadia. If one was so possessed, I would think you could get a temporary overnight parking permit: https://www.paymycite.com/SierraMadre/P ... ermit.aspx (go into the SMPD office to get one on shorter notice).

I just got back from a bike ride to Chantry from my house a few blocks away. Was surprised at the number of cars parked on Arno and, correspondingly, the number of walkers and bicyclists on the road.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Teejate wrote: Anyone been up around 3N061, the road to Blue Ridge and Guffy, since the shutdown?
Wondering if it's gated.
Thanks.
Gate at Blue Ridge Rd. is closed:
http://www.wrightwoodcalif.com/forum/in ... #msg292007