2012 Basic Winter Mountaineering Clinic

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

It appears the date will be sometime in 2013.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Taco wrote: It appears the date will be sometime in 2013.
:cry: :evil: :cry:
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

This sucks. Shouldnt be able to summit baldy in January in shorts and tennis shoes.
jmac

Post by jmac »

I am very interested in this! Sounds a lot better than paying REI a million dollars. Hopefully winter shows up sometime soon.
longcut

Post by longcut »

Did I miss this already? I wish to learn from the masta blasta.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

It hasn't happened yet. Has anyone been up in Baldy Bowl Recently? How are conditions? We may be able to make this happen soon.
AdventureDoc

Post by AdventureDoc »

I hiked up Telescope on Feb 8th-

The bowl looked pretty bare at that time. We've had two rounds of snow since then but the pack probably can't be more than 6 inches?
norma r

Post by norma r »

Taco,

I was on B-P on Sunday. On the downclimb as i plunged-stepped, there was only one small section that i did not hit the rocky base. It was still too thin of coverage to want to try glissading, unless you like blood. :twisted:

Not sure if this week's storm dropped enough to make a difference.
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

It's gonna take more than a few hours of snow, plus the wind blows it all off before it has a chance to stick. :evil:

2/13 from Bear Flat ridge looking north:

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I might just change the venue. I'm going out this week, so I'll get a idea of how it is elsewhere near Baden Powell.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

Taco wrote: I might just change the venue..
Yes! yes! yes!; You and the rest, all like the Baldy Bowl playground thing but this aint going to happen this yr so lets move on to the San Bernies northside- South Fork Trail, its a sure winner! A bit further from Baldy but it faces north and has all the white you need to train the upcoming mountaineers. Plz dont take my word but go and look at the pics the great Rick Kent took. If that doesnt motivate you to go there, then wait for the lucky 13..... the wintery beast
andthewalrus

Post by andthewalrus »

Any chance this is back on for this winter? Assuming we have one this year.
everyday

Post by everyday »

I wouldnt count on it seeing as how Taco lives in Yosemite now. itd be a long commute to teach a clinic at Mt Baldy! However im sure hed be happy to take you out to Clouds Rest or Mount Star King n practice here in Yosemite if you wanna come up :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Maybe someone else wants to take over. I won't be able to participate anymore.

Cheers
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

While we are on the topic, Taco or Everydayrunner, I am doing a snowshoeing trip with some friends from Badger Pass to Taft Point out to Glactier Point and then back via the road. Any suggestions on a good time of year? I was suggestd to plan for Feb or March but I was hoping to go sooner? Also people make it seem dificult to traverse anywhere between the road at the edge.
andthewalrus

Post by andthewalrus »

everyday wrote: I wouldnt count on it seeing as how Taco lives in Yosemite now. itd be a long commute to teach a clinic at Mt Baldy!
Oh yeah... that's right. I bet you guys are having a blast up there!

Well, if anyone heads out in the snow and ice this year and wants to teach a nube, lemme know. Otherwise, I guess there's always the REI class.
Johnny Bronson

Post by Johnny Bronson »

How many people are still up for a clinic? I will volunteer to organize the clinic this year if SAFE conditions permit.

Anyone who is 110% interested,please Email me directly at Hk1980wrc@gmail.c0m to discuss further.

I am watching the weather and making recon trips to check out conditions. Hopefully the upcoming weather brings a decent amount of SAFE consolidated snow.
everyday

Post by everyday »

lesper4 wrote: While we are on the topic, Taco or Everydayrunner, I am doing a snowshoeing trip with some friends from Badger Pass to Taft Point out to Glactier Point and then back via the road. Any suggestions on a good time of year? I was suggestd to plan for Feb or March but I was hoping to go sooner? Also people make it seem dificult to traverse anywhere between the road at the edge.
its looking like anytime from now forward is gonna be good! its snowin more right now too :)
...im not sure what you mean about traversing between road and edge. the road past Badger up to Glacier point is not plowed, its open only to snow shoers n CC skiin, so im not sure how theyred be any problem...

http://www.yosemitepark.com/dailysnowreport.aspx
Marty

Post by Marty »

I'd definitely attend if it's on the weekend. I was looking forward to it last year but we all know how that went.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

FWIW I will be in town on January 3-7 and I am planning on going up Baldy if conditions permit, so... yeah, I'd be down for either the 5th or 6th.
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

What I mean is I dont intend to take the road there and back, just back. I want to follow the summer trail near the rim on the way to glacier point.
everyday wrote: its looking like anytime from now forward is gonna be good! its snowin more right now too :)
...im not sure what you mean about traversing between road and edge. the road past Badger up to Glacier point is not plowed, its open only to snow shoers n CC skiin, so im not sure how theyred be any problem...

http://www.yosemitepark.com/dailysnowreport.aspx
everyday

Post by everyday »

Oh, i see. i dunno anything about that. ive never been there in the winter. Not familiar with the area even in summer. Ryan n I only have been up there once since weve lived here.
HikeItOrLoseIt

Post by HikeItOrLoseIt »

Are there any plans for a clinic like this for this year? I would be interested in joining some experienced winter climbers to learn more. I have done some winter hiking, even did Baldy last winter, but I realize that I should learn how to do things properly and safely so I don't end up in the obituaries.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'd say yes, if we get winter. I would love to put another one on. A lot of things I feel I should've done last time that will be covered now.

Also, after it's done and before the sun goes down, reckon I'd like to cover some crevasse rescue and glacier travel technical stuff, so if a small group of you guys is interested or if you already know this stuff, there ya go. I haven't been on a real glacier yet so I'd like to know I'm at least safe when it happens.
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

Winter? What is that? As usual, I'm looking forward to snow to help out and to practice on.
Sitting Bull

Post by Sitting Bull »

Please do put one on.
Rick M

Post by Rick M »

Taco wrote: I haven't been on a real glacier yet so I'd like to know I'm at least safe when it happens.

After all this time why not?

Rick
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

if this happens again this year, I am very interested! I've never done winter hiking or climbing and I want to learn!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm in if we get a winter and I haven't found a treasure chest filled with ways to leave LA yet.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

This is a great idea, practise our snow skills and meet up with other board members, I'm in if winter ever happens.