Angeles Crest 100 mile trail race

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
fortified

Post by fortified »

THE ANGELUS CREST 100 MILE ENDURENCE RUN. I don't know if this has been covered. I didn't find anything.
100 MILES? How is that possible?
They have 33 hours to finish, with cut-off times at checkpoints along the run.
100 miles? That four marathons. Then you have to add at least one more for the 22,000 rise in elevation. And don't forget after 2 or 3 degrees downhill, more energy is used for control, especially on a trail, in the dark.
So, It is like five-five and a half marathons........
http://www.ac100.com/
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Yes, the AC 100 is an incredibly wonderful run. My buddies and I run the Newcomb's Saddle Aid Station at the 68 mile point.

The race was last weekend and it kicked everyone's butt. Our first runner came in about 5:30 pm while the last runner was late and came in just a little after our 3:00 am cut-off.

Been involved with the race in some form or another since 1995.... Here is our aid station last weekend. The radio gods are on the right set-up while the runners refuel with us at the two white canopies.
ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

Mike P wrote: Yes, the AC 100 is an incredibly wonderful run. My buddies and I run the Newcomb's Saddle Aid Station at the 68 mile point.

The race was last weekend and it kicked everyone's butt. Our first runner came in about 5:30 pm while the last runner was late and came in just a little after our 3:00 am cut-off.

Been involved with the race in some form or another since 1995.... Here is our aid station last weekend. The radio gods are on the right set-up while the runners refuel with us at the two white canopies.
I had the pleasure of being up at Guffy couple weeks ago and watching some train for it. I wasnt privy to what the training was for till I said good morning one day and walked away very very impressed lol 100miles jeezzzzz big cahonies!

kudo's to all
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

I think the original poster needs to read "Born To Run" or something :) Ultramarathons are all the rage among people who train harder than I ever could. If you think Angeles is hard, Leadville is above 10,000 feet for like most of it. And Badwater is 135 miles in Death Valley in July which is insane. It ends at Whitney, lots of people just keep going and climb Whitney at the end.

I've met several people up in Angeles training for this, nice folks! Hardcore! I hope to be able to run like that one day. Right now I can do like 2 miles. Have to start somewhere :)
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

VermillionPearlGirl wrote: I think the original poster needs to read "Born To Run" or something :) Ultramarathons are all the rage among people who train harder than I ever could. If you think Angeles is hard, Leadville is above 10,000 feet for like most of it. And Badwater is 135 miles in Death Valley in July which is insane. It ends at Whitney, lots of people just keep going and climb Whitney at the end.

I've met several people up in Angeles training for this, nice folks! Hardcore! I hope to be able to run like that one day. Right now I can do like 2 miles. Have to start somewhere :)
The average ultramarathoner doesn't necessarily train "harder" than the average runner. They train longer in terms of hours and/or mileage. It's all about time on your feet. ANYONE can run an ultra; it's just a matter of working your way up to the distance. I'm sure you can do one... :)

I never ran Leadville. It's a zoo! They accept 700+ entries. No thanks. AC is capped at ~190. Less make it to the starting line.
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

Haha. I appreciate the encouragement :)

I've never run before, always had bad knees since childhood, but I've started trailrunning on the downhill of mountains and have really been enjoying it. It's good to have a goal to work up to. Slowly but surely :)
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Mike P - I want to thank whoever fixed me up with the warm tortilla, with peanut butter and banana. Thank you!

Mike P

Post by Mike P »

shreddy wrote: Mike P - I want to thank whoever fixed me up with the warm tortilla, with peanut butter and banana. Thank you!

Hey Shreddy! I think I remember you... green Leona Divide shirt? (You responded on the AC Facebook page, no?) We will see you next year! Something about unfinished business...

I'm not sure who fixed you up with that most excellent meal but I will relay your thanks, though, to the entire group!
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Mike P wrote:
shreddy wrote: Hey Shreddy! I think I remember you... green Leona Divide shirt? (You responded on the AC Facebook page, no?) We will see you next year! Something about unfinished business...

I'm not sure who fixed you up with that most excellent meal but I will relay your thanks, though, to the entire group!
That was me Mike. That climb up to Newcombs was my end. Wound up making it to Idle Hour before the hammer fell. It was a great experience though. I'll be back!