Any S.G. hikers with some Sequoia N.F. experience?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

A bit off topic but as I'm guessing there are some here who have spent some time in the Sequoia Natl. Forest I just wanted to see about some recommendations.

I've got 10 days in mid-September. Thinking a couple of them will be spent in Mineral Springs in the National Park.

Hoping for some suggestions on a base camp (quiet campground) close to some good day hikes. Traveling with a friend so I'll need to keep it in the "Moderate" range. Out and back's are fine. Solitude is always appreciated.

Also looking for a two to three day backpacking trip suggestion.

Thanks if anyone can share some insight.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Haven't spent a lot of time in Sequoia, but have stayed at Stony Creek and used it as a base for daytime outings. As far as car camping goes, it's relatively quiet, spacious sites, away from the hordes at Dorst and Lodgepole, and close to Stony Creek Village for provisions (Lodgepole is about 15 mins down the road). From Stoney Creek, you can access the Jennie Lakes Wilderness (there is supposedly a trailhead at the back of the the overflow across the road) or drive down the road (20 mins?) to Wolverton to access the trail out to Heather, Aster, and Pear Lakes and/or Mehrton Meadow/Alta Peak. The trail out to Pear Lake via the Watchtower affords some pretty nice views into the Tokopah Valley and of the Kings-Kaweah Divide.

A little while back, MattCav posted a TR about his trip to Weaver Lake in the Jennie Lakes Wilderness. It is here: https://eispiraten.com/a ... ght=weaver

Don't know if that's what you're looking for, but that's what I know. Have fun.
spotfin

Post by spotfin »

hi tejatee,
I was up in the Mineral King area a couple of weeks ago climbing sawtooth peak and mineral peak. i highly recommend camping at Monarch Lakes, there is an upper and a lower lake. Beautiful area with bearboxes and many options for day hikes. Another great spot in the same general area is Crystal Lake, not sure if they have bearboxes. We saw 2 tents at Monarch and none at Crystal. Distance from the TH is about 4-5 miles on a good trail.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

to second rico's link, jennie lakes was awesome. highly recommended. its a 30+ mile loop, pretty doable, beautiful, and quiet. i've always liked playing with dayhikes off of 180/roads end as well.

dinkey lakes is also supposed to be way cool, even though i have no experience in that area.
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

Really appreciate those replies guys. Gives me something to go on.

It's been real hard finding some solid information about the Forest. And with a set amount of time you want to maximize.

I've heard Jennie Lakes a few times now so I'll take that as a sign. And that loop sounded perfect. Need to look in to it.

Mineral Springs is an awesome area. I'll check out those spots.

Thanks again.
HikeItOrLoseIt

Post by HikeItOrLoseIt »

I will second the previous posters and recommend either jennie lakes loop or the watchtower route to pear lake. On the second trip, I actually prefer camping at Emerald Lake because I like the views better there. That is a reasonably easy day hike in and a nice place to set up a base camp. From there you can go cross country for the day to the tablelands or if you are really comfortable with class 2 to 3 talus you could go cross country up to alta peak or moose lake.

A nice 3 to 4 day loop depending on your miles per day out of mineral king could be hiking over sawtooth pass with an optional summit of sawtooth peak, then looping past little five lakes over black rock pass and timber gap back to the trailhead.

I can't wait to get back out there next year. I really want to hike the high sierra trail early in the season while there is still snow in the passes and there aren't hordes of people and horse apples everywhere.
tarol

Post by tarol »

Sequoia NP or Forest??

Mineral King - not Springs - make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get back there & that your vehicle is in good condition - the drive is long and slow.

All the hiking out of Mineral King is steep - not exactly what I would call moderate.

Jennie Lakes Loop is a little easier. Also like Redwood Canyon - Sugar Bowl and Hart Tree Loops. Dogwood should be changing color by then.

High Sierra Trail out to Bearpaw is 11 miles long but mostly flat - and affords tremendous views. Or you could just go to Mehrten Creek.
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

Right on Hikeit. Looks like Jennie Lakes is on the agenda.

Thanks Tarol. Looking at just a couple of days in Mineral King (probably Cold Springs Campground) because it's just such an awesome day hiking spot. They also have a couple of walk in spots that are only a couple of hundred yards off the main campground and provide some nice privacy. But not having spent any time in the SNF I wanted to check it out. Glad I came here to get some recommendations. A surprising lack of information out there on the Forest.