favorite part of the sierras?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

wife and i are doing a trip up to the sierras in a couple weeks. we have 5-6 days to backpack and she likes "easy" trips.

so, sgmf crew - what is the most beautiful spot in the sierras? we've enjoyed the high country around cottonwood lakes, yosemite, jennie lakes, bishop pass, and the minarets but we're open-minded.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Ain't nothing "easy" 'bout the Sierras

I was looking at a trip "South lake to North Lake" With a short shuttle or you can make it a loop

http://caltopo.com/map?id=295G

But South Lake, Bishop Pass, Duzy Basin, LeConte Cyn, Muir Pass, Evolution Basin and Valley to San Joaquin River/Kings Canyon, Piute Creek to Humphreys Basin , Piute Pass, north Lake.

This covers some of the most scenic & accessible parts of the Sierra

Tom Harrison has a map for this trip
http://www.amazon.com/Bishop-North-Lake ... rison+maps

Good luck getting a permit!
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

thanks matt. that one was definitely been on the list for awhile. i hear dusy is insanely cool.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I've fantasized about the exact same route myself except closing the loop by going up over Table Mountain and spending a night at George or Tyee Lakes. One of these days...
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Lots of cool places to visit. How much climbing or mileage each day?
The North Lake/South Lake semi-loop is great. You could check out Kearsarge Pass/Charlotte Lake/Rae Lakes/Kearsarge Lakes out of Onion Valley.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Jeff, have you been out that way from Road's End? Would it be nicer to do a section of it from the west or east?
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Matt, I've only gone in from the East side. The hard part about that is two passes, Kearsarge and Glen twice each. I have read about the loop from Road's End - one of these days....
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Zach

Post by Zach »

I know you said easy but if you are up for the challenge my all-time favorite place in the Sierra is Colby Lake. In addition to its beauty there are relatively few people that visit this remote lake. I've always started from Road's End in the King's Canyon and gone up Avalanche Pass to the Roaring River Ranger station before heading up one of THE most beautiful valleys in the Sierra. With awesome views of the Whaleback you eventually climb around and up to Colby lake. The lake itself has some good campsites around it and is fed by snowmelt cascades from the surrounding peaks. If you fish, bring a pole... they're practically jumping out of the water up there. If its hot enough, there's a cool rock island at the far end of the lake you can swim out to if you're brave enough to endure the frigid water. But like I said, this gem comes at a cost... LOTS of uphill to get there.

MattCav

Post by MattCav »

thanks, zach. i'll have to pull some beta on that one.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Pretty much all of the Sierra. Wherever has good rock and no crowds. :-) And clean water of course.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Im sold on Kings Canyon/180 as well...although one of the few Sierra places I have been to hasnt been mentioned...Convict Lake. To get above Convict Lake on a multi-day hike is unique. The beginning will put you to sleep but its gets going very fast once you reach the lakes area after 2,700 elevation gain and 5 miles. The typical multi-day route attempts Red Slate mountain, which dominates the route.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

For spectacular scenery: Deadman Canyon or Precipice Lake in SEKI.
Matterhorn Canyon in Yosemite is pretty impressive, too.
tpfishnfool

Post by tpfishnfool »

Pacific crest trail below whitney through crab tree meadows, guitar lake, hitchcock lakes.
hillbasher

Post by hillbasher »

Up above Rock Creek Lake is Little Lakes Valley. Easy hike into Long Lake, with lots of things to do as day trips using Long Lake as a base camp. Numerous peaks to climb, plenty of lakes to fish, and easy day hikes are all around. On the hike in one feels like they are in Switzerland with all the lakes and granite walls. Can't beat the area for such an easy hike.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

My personal favorite would be Ediza Lake below the Minarets and Mt Ritter, hands down.