Cucamonga, Bighorn, Ontario 7/12/2013

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I planned a route starting from Icehouse Canyon to Cucamonga Peak, dropping back down to the saddle between Cucamonga and Bighorn, up the ridge to Bighorn, then back on trail out to Ontario Peak, returning through Kelly Camp and Icehouse Canyon.

No summit log found on Cucamonga, and the clouds blocked a lot of the views. There is a use trail up Bighorn ridge from the Cucamonga-Bighorn saddle. Starts off steep, levels out, then gets steep again. A short way up, it splits into two faint use trails. One followed the ridge and the other was about 40 feet below the ridge. Both looked usable but I stuck to the ridge. The summit of Bighorn had a fresh summit log. It appears to have been started around July 1, 2013.

I descended from Bighorn on the trail toward Ontario. The trail stays on the Icehouse Canyon side of the rough ridge line, avoiding a lot of roller coaster action. The trail was nearly overgrown with bushes and weeds in several places. Worse, the bushes were filled with buzzing bees. I've never seen or heard so many bees. Ontario also had a fresh summit log, started June 24, 2013.

I returned form Ontario via Kelly Camp. Shortly before reaching Icehouse Canyon saddle, I saw two bighorns maybe 50 feet above the trail. There were a total of five that I saw, and more may have been a little ways up the hill.I thought they might run if I moved or made noise, but other than staring at me in curiosity, they were unconcerned. I was very much in awe of them. This encounter with a group of noble bighorn sheep was one of the best experiences I've had while hiking.

Full report:
http://ironhiker.blogspot.com/2013/07/c ... tario.html

Caves on Cucamonga trail

Down Cucamonga summit sign, "CMP=>" written on it, pointing the right way

Clouds and haze obscure the view

Starting up the Bighorn ridge

Looking down, part way up Bighorn ridge

Bighorn summit, with new summit log

Ontario Peak coming down from Bighorn

Nearly overgrown trail buzzing with bees

Ontario summit tree, log, and bottle opener(!)

Family of bighorn between Kelly Camp and Icehouse saddle

Staring contest

Grazing. Unconcerned with puny human.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report and pics. Those were some nice-looking sheep.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Sweet bighorn pics teke.

I like that trek out to Cucamonga.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I've been searching for bighorns for a couple of years, and feel very lucky to have seen them this close. It was a rare moment of connection for me. I wish I had a nicer camera than my phone. Looking forward to my next trip in that area.
arocknoid

Post by arocknoid »

Thanks for the TR, teke.

Good photos, and what a fun encounter with the bighorns.

That area seems to have more or busier bees, with the rich blooms of stinkapin especially. Frendo!

kind regards,
arocknoid