The latest way to die in the mountains

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

This incident happened at the Nanga Parbat base camp. Base camp altitude is 3,967m = 13,011ft.

ISLAMABAD (AP) — At least a dozen Islamic militants wearing police uniforms shot to death nine foreign tourists and one Pakistani before dawn Sunday as they were visiting one of the world's highest mountains in a remote area of northern Pakistan that has been largely peaceful, officials said.

The foreigners who were killed included five Ukrainians, three Chinese and one Russian, said Pakistani Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan. One Chinese tourist was wounded in the attack and was rescued, he said.

The local branch of the Taliban took responsibility for the killings, saying it was to avenge the death of a leader killed in a recent U.S. drone strike.

The shooting was one of the worst attacks on foreigners in Pakistan in recent years and is likely to damage the country's already struggling tourism industry. Pakistan's mountainous north — considered until now relatively safe — is one of the main attractions in a country beset with insurgency and other political instability.

The attack took place at the base camp of Nanga Parbat, the ninth highest mountain in the world at 8,126 meters (26,660 feet).
fortified

Post by fortified »

Well.....that the last time I go near Nanga Parbat for a while!!!
Breabonnie

Post by Breabonnie »

Somber reflection...

Mountain as a sanctuary...I think its wonderful how when many of us hike in So Cal or anywhere in the US people who are total strangers of any ethnicity or religion are greeting each other on the trail and smiling as they pass by. I have never been threatened or feared for my life on any of my travels. In fact, to enjoy the beauty of God's creation among anyone else who also shares a love for this type of nature appreciation has always been a blessing to me. The appreciation of beauty is something we share from deep in the human soul.

So, that is very sad news. Horrible for the families mourning. Perhaps many who would have wanted to go for a "escape" from the city and into nature will have to find something else to do. Apparently no place is safe around Islamic countries for tourists or even locals. What misery!

Makes me appreciate the freedom we have here. No one forces their religious beliefs on each other, though we have the freedom to share them and speak out peaceably. I hope Sharia law won't ever reach our boundaries to threaten us with "submit or die".

~"Love thy neighbor as you love yourself" & so I choose to "do unto others" as I would have them do unto me...

I hope those traveling in our mountains will always feel as welcome guests.