Wooshing/Thump audible from Buckhorn

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

Spend a few nights up there last week - during the day there was a muffled but very distinct thumping sound. Is there mining going on near there? Construction? Sounded like dynamite or some sort of heavy machinery.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I know one of the investors at Waterman Ski Area and he indicated they might be doing some trail building for mountain biking and such, but I doubt that would make much noise. Unless they were getting serious about moving something. Weird.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

probably the power line construction
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

mattmaxon wrote: probably the power line construction
That would make sense. I've been staying up there off and on since the late '80s and this is the first time I've ever heard anything like it. I figured dynamite, but there were only one or two "whumps" at a time.
solar

Post by solar »

I was exploring the Ridge between Waterman and Kratka last Wednesday (6/20) morning and heard a similar sound. Almost subsonic, I could barely hear the "whumps" but could almost "feel" them instead. Definetly not at waterman, it seemed far away.
I've heard these "whumps" or thumps when in the high country (cloudburst summit eastward) for a few summers now.
Ordinance practice/training in the desert maybe?

Matt, would you be referring to the power line construction heading thru upper big t and over towards newcomb's saddle? I don't recall seeing the crews from the 2, but they could have been not visible from the highway, of course...
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

It could also be a grouse, a big chicken type bird. My wife and I were up at Cottonwood Pass a month ago and kept hearing 2-3 thumps that were subtle but noticeable. We asked a ranger what it was and he said that grouse mating calls sound like that; they're percussive in nature and don't really have pitch.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

This question reminded me of something from quite a few years ago...
solar

Post by solar »

I have never seen that before!

Just made my day, thanks!!!

I'm gonna have to think on the grouse theory for a minute. Are there grouse (greese?) in the San gabs?
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Those are some pretty good theories. But I'm almost certain the charismatic Mrs. Soto has the real answer.

Mike P

Post by Mike P »

MattCav wrote: It could also be a grouse, a big chicken type bird. My wife and I were up at Cottonwood Pass a month ago and kept hearing 2-3 thumps that were subtle but noticeable. We asked a ranger what it was and he said that grouse mating calls sound like that; they're percussive in nature and don't really have pitch.
I'm not sure that we have grouse in the San Gabriels. Common in the Sierra, for sure...
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

No Grouse here as far as I know. Sooty Grouse is common in Sierra and a recording can be found at...

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Sooty_Grouse/id
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

Sean wrote: Those are some pretty good theories. But I'm almost certain the charismatic Mrs. Soto has the real answer.

HA!
"Charismatic" was the perfect description.
She's very afraid, huh?
Wow.