Mt. Baldy via Big Horn Ridge?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
lakenyon

Post by lakenyon »

From The San Gabriels Vol II by John W. Robinson, 1983, pp 167-168:
Although most parties ascending Old Baldy started from San Antonio Canyon and used either the Bear Flat or Devil's Backbone route, there were also other ways to climb the mountain. Some hikers took the northeast approach from Glenn Ranch, following the old miners' road up Lytle Creek to Baldy Notch, then up the Devil's Backbone to the top. From San Gabriel Canyon, Henry Roberts led parties up the peak via the East Fork and Prairie Fork as early as 1889. In the early years of the present century, a rough trail was built up the long southwest ridge of Baldy from Weber's Camp in Coldwater Canyon. With the demise of Weber's Camp in the late 1920s, the trail fell into disuse and disappeared.
On the 1940 USGS topos, the trail is gone, but many other trails are on the map that have since vanished. Among the curiosities are trails to the Gold Dollar and Eagle Mines, one of which appears to reach the top of San Antonio Ridge; and a trail that crosses the lower part of Big Horn Ridge. See the Camp Baldy and Camp Bonita maps at this archive at UCSB. The files are in MrSID format, so you might need to download a plugin to read them.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

wow, nice job Lee!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

lakenyon wrote:...and a trail that crosses the lower part of Big Horn Ridge.
Thanks for the link to the maps.

Maps show a "Highline Trail" that starts on the Coldwater Truck Trail (at elev. 4321'), traverses westerly then drops down into Cattle Canyon at about 3900' then climbs up to Big Horn Ridge (at ~ 4600') south of where Ze's route went. Then it descends to Widman Ranch (via the trail discussed previously in this thread), ascends the known trail up to Allison Saddle, then traverses on the known trail around Iron to get to Allison Mine.

What is knew is the part of the trail that descends into Cattle Cyn. from the east and the route it took up to BHR. Here's a picture of where the supposed trail ascended...
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

the "highline trail", from Stanley Miller mine to Allison to coldwater canyon, over BHR, up around SW ridge of Lookout mt, to coldwater truck trail. jeebus
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hiked up to Lookout Mountain #2 on the east side of Cattle Canyon and took some pictures of BHR and Cattle Canyon. Just wanted to add the link here to the ever expanding collection of BHR pictures.

The mine (note blue pickup I saw on the previous trip to Cattle Cyn.)...
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

adding trip report to this thread
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

:lol: Now, that's a hike. :shock: Unbelievable.

You win the SGMDF "Iron Man" competition. If one of these SGMDF "get together and have a beer" things ever actually happens, your first one is on me. You really deserve a medal or an award or something, but a tall cold one will have to do.

HJ
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

HikeUp wrote:
Maps show a "Highline Trail" that starts on the Coldwater Truck Trail (at elev. 4321'), traverses westerly then drops down into Cattle Canyon at about 3900' then climbs up to Big Horn Ridge (at ~ 4600') south of where Ze's route went. Then it descends to Widman Ranch
I created a couple KML files with the Highline Trail on the 2 Maps

Camp Baldy 1940 & Camp Bonita 1940

http://pctmap.homeip.net/data2/Highline%20Trail/

Enjoy!
Matt
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

nice!

this reminds me to check out stanley-miller mine, and possibly that ridiculous part of the "highline" trail.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote:nice!

this reminds me to check out stanley-miller mine, and possibly that ridiculous part of the "highline" trail.
Oh, you'll be liking that brush. :shock:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Hiking friend Henry completed this bad boy a few weeks ago. Again he posted his photos on FB, but said I could share them

His comments:

"tough but great one! Its the only hike that i have done so far that left sore on my legs and arm. We took a slightly different path than yours because we found a less brush spot to start with, it was the second bump on the ridge (after 5700) once we topped out the ascent of the ridge took us about 5 hours. Once on the ridge we spent great deal of time finding the best possible path slowed us down a lot and we were exhausted from up and downs of the ridge due to the steepness of the slope, but nothing was more than class 2. Brush is not an issue once past 7500'. The views on both side of the ridge were great, we took our time for the final push to Baldy and got there just before 8 pm, down to Manker Flat TH 10:25pm.

It turned out to be 17 1/2 hours adventures. Definitely easier than Triplets if you have to ask. but both me and my partner rate this ridge is more difficult than San Antonio Ridge since you have to 'consistently' dealing with brush vs San Antonio Ridge Gun-Sight Notch was the only obstacles even though the climbing part can be airy."

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2112929

fb link

beginning of ascent:

view toward Baldy south ridge: